AngWay

Premium Subscriber
It may be beneficial to give each channel a unique name in the channels tab of the playlist editor. I believe that this is used to populate the Channel Name column. You may want to use Honker Control instead of Control

View attachment 164353
but that ain't gonna change the part where the control channel is on 152.6825 and the calls are on 161.87500 is it? Edit: i changed it and it didn't help i'm still getting where i'm locked onto 152.6825 and the calls are coming in on 161.87500 isn't 2 dongles just 4.8mhz?

RMason

Premium Subscriber
the control isn't 158.6825 it's 152.6825 u said 158.6825. i'm just confused if it's on CC 152.6825 how is it picking up a voice channel in the 161 mhz isn't each dongle only capable of 2.4mhz?
2 (2)013 (D)HonakerBuchanan152.6825c152.7125c161.875162.000

Yes - that is a typo. I should have said the control channel is 152.6825.

In this case, dongle 1 can monitors the 152.*Mhz control channel for the Honaker site. When there is a channel grant (voice traffic), SDRTrunk steers the second dongle to the 161.875Mhz voice channel. Dongle 1 will handle the voice channels in the 152Mhz range; Dongle 2 will handle the voice channels in the 162Mhz range.

The control channel (152.6825) is received on dongle #1.
The voice channel (161.875) is received on dongle #2.

RMason

Premium Subscriber
but that ain't gonna change the part where the control channel is on 152.6825 and the calls are on 161.87500 is it? Edit: i changed it and it didn't help i'm still getting where i'm locked onto 152.6825 and the calls are coming in on 161.87500 isn't 2 dongles just 4.8mhz?

The first dongle receives: 152.6825, 152.7125, 152.8175 - All of these frequencies fit within the 2.4Mhz bandwidth the 1st dongle
The second dongle receives 161.800, 161.875, 162.000 - All of these frequencies are outside the range of the first dongle, but fit within the 2.4Mhz bandwidth of the 2nd dongle

The control channel (152.6825) is received on dongle #1.
The voice channel (161.875) is received on dongle #2.

isn't 2 dongles just 4.8mhz?
Each dongle is providing 2.4Mhz of range. For the sites you are monitoring, there is a gap between 152.8175 and 161.800Mhz. No dongle is providing coverage for this range. If you needed to cover frequencies in this range (which you don't), then you would need additional dongles.

RMason

Premium Subscriber
the control isn't 158.6825 it's 152.6825 u said 158.6825. i'm just confused if it's on CC 152.6825 how is it picking up a voice channel in the 161 mhz isn't each dongle only capable of 2.4mhz?

In this case, dongle 1 monitors the 152.*Mhz control channel for the Honaker site. When there is a channel grant (voice traffic), SDRTrunk steers the appropriate dongle to receive the voice channel. Dongle 1 will handle the voice channels in the 152Mhz range; Dongle 2 will handle the voice channels in the 162Mhz range.
  • The control channel (152.6825) is received on dongle #1.
  • The voice channel (161.875) is received on dongle #2.

Here is a diagram showing the range of each dongle.

1718954592769.png

1718955191820.png
  • SDRTrunk can tune and decode all radio channels that are present within the dongle bandwidth at the same time. A single dongle can cover multiple control channels and voice channels within a 2.4 MHz bandwidth.
    • Dongle #1 can tune to all frequencies in the 152Mhz range (control channels and voice channels)
    • Dongle #2 can tune to all frequencies in the 161-162Mhz range (control channels and voice channels)
  • SDRTrunk handles the complexities of monitoring the control channel and tuning the appropriate dongle to the voice channel.

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
like i told @dave3825 right here is some screenshots the first screen shot is with both dongles locked onto each control channel and when i turn off the 161 CC and just leave the 152 on the call is on the 161 freqs the same is happening in the first picture the 152 CC shows calls on the 160 freqs and the 161 cc shows calls in the 152 freqs i'm just really confused

For what it's worth, I created a thread in the VA forum asking anyone else is in your county to verify the site freqs. I had a hunch there were more freqs than what's listed in the database and your first pic in posts 16 and 17 seems to confirm that.

1718970792699.png

Since 161.875 is a voice channel on Honaker, 152.72750 being shown would indicate a voice channel on the Oakwood site. Or SDRTrunk is displaying the wrong freq.

AngWay

Premium Subscriber
In this case, dongle 1 monitors the 152.*Mhz control channel for the Honaker site. When there is a channel grant (voice traffic), SDRTrunk steers the appropriate dongle to receive the voice channel. Dongle 1 will handle the voice channels in the 152Mhz range; Dongle 2 will handle the voice channels in the 162Mhz range.
  • The control channel (152.6825) is received on dongle #1.
  • The voice channel (161.875) is received on dongle #2.

Here is a diagram showing the range of each dongle.

View attachment 164355

View attachment 164356
  • SDRTrunk can tune and decode all radio channels that are present within the dongle bandwidth at the same time. A single dongle can cover multiple control channels and voice channels within a 2.4 MHz bandwidth.
    • Dongle #1 can tune to all frequencies in the 152Mhz range (control channels and voice channels)
    • Dongle #2 can tune to all frequencies in the 161-162Mhz range (control channels and voice channels)
  • SDRTrunk handles the complexities of monitoring the control channel and tuning the appropriate dongle to the voice channel.
ok now i understand that the part i don't get is where u say a single dongle can cover multiple control channels, doesn't the dongle just need to cover the one control channel or are u saying i can turn on multiple control channels per dongle?. my second question is why do i not need to cover the gap between the two control channels is their just nothing in that gap that is associated to my area? my next question is what about the dummy channels do i really need those here?

AngWay

Premium Subscriber
For what it's worth, I created a thread in the VA forum asking anyone else is in your county to verify the site freqs. I had a hunch there were more freqs than what's listed in the database and your first pic in posts 16 and 17 seems to confirm that.

View attachment 164361

Since 161.875 is a voice channel on Honaker, 152.72750 being shown would indicate a voice channel on the Oakwood site. Or SDRTrunk is displaying the wrong freq.
oh ok is there anything i can do to fix this?

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
he part i don't get is where u say a single dongle can cover multiple control channels,

dongle can cover an entire 2.4mhz which includes everything in that. If you had 10 control channels on different sites, all with in 2.4 of each other, a single dongle can lock onto each one. If there were a bunch of voice channels in the same 2.4, one dongle can cover them all.

oh ok is there anything i can do to fix this?
There is nothing to do other than watch which freqs are being displayed as T Control. If you see freqs that are not listed on either site, then they are voice channels that nobody discovered and submitted to the database. Those 2 sites have not been updated in the last 3 yerars.

maus92

Premium Subscriber
ok now i understand that the part i don't get is where u say a single dongle can cover multiple control channels, doesn't the dongle just need to cover the one control channel or are u saying i can turn on multiple control channels per dongle?. my second question is why do i not need to cover the gap between the two control channels is their just nothing in that gap that is associated to my area? my next question is what about the dummy channels do i really need those here?
A dongle can decode any and all control and / or traffic channels that fall within it's ~2.4 MHz bandwidth.

AngWay

Premium Subscriber
dongle can cover an entire 2.4mhz which includes everything in that. If you had 10 control channels on different sites, all with in 2.4 of each other, a single dongle can lock onto each one. If there were a bunch of voice channels in the same 2.4, one dongle can cover them all.

There is nothing to do other than watch which freqs are being displayed as T Control. If you see freqs that are not listed on either site, then they are voice channels that nobody discovered and submitted to the database. Those 2 sites have not been updated in the last 3 yerars.
ok i just tried increasing my sample rate to 2.880 mhz and both dongles are staying locked onto their control channels is this good or bad should i stay on that sample rate or keep it on the 2.4? Thanks

maus92

Premium Subscriber
Is there a reason to increase the sample rate? Doing so increases CPU loading to some extent.

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
Do the math. What do all the 150 add up to? What do all the 160 add up to? Neither exceed 2, let alone 2.4. The dongle only goes up to 2.4 so pushing it to 2.8 would not be good and will use more resources, which could give poor decodes.

Also, if every call is being transmitted and duplicated across both sites, then you would only need one site. You would still need to keep and run the two dummy channels, but you would only start one site. Again, that would be if both sites carry the same exact traffic.

You have to trust us, even if you do not fully understand how this all works.

RMason

Premium Subscriber
the part i don't get is where u say a single dongle can cover multiple control channels, doesn't the dongle just need to cover the one control channel or are u saying i can turn on multiple control channels per dongle?.
SDRTrunk can tune and decode all radio channels that are present within the dongle bandwidth at the same time. This can include the control channel of multiple sites. If multiple sites are within the 2.4Mhz bandwidth of the dongle, they can be monitored at the same time.

my second question is why do i not need to cover the gap between the two control channels is their just nothing in that gap that is associated to my area?
There are no frequencies in the gap shown in the RR database for the sites you are monitoring. All of the frequencies are in the 152Mhz or 161-162Mhz range.

You can watch the event log to make sure you are not getting any "Tuner unavailable" messages

AngWay

Premium Subscriber
Do the math. What do all the 150 add up to? What do all the 160 add up to? Neither exceed 2, let alone 2.4. The dongle only goes up to 2.4 so pushing it to 2.8 would not be good and will use more resources, which could give poor decodes.

Also, if every call is being transmitted and duplicated across both sites, then you would only need one site. You would still need to keep and run the two dummy channels, but you would only start one site. Again, that would be if both sites carry the same exact traffic.

yeah ok i believe i have a very good handle on it now i'm just a really curious person and i ask alot of question but i do understand it alot better now so thanks for your time and to everyone else that explained everything thank u to hope everyone is having a great summer.

AngWay

Premium Subscriber
SDRTrunk can tune and decode all radio channels that are present within the dongle bandwidth at the same time. This can include the control channel of multiple sites. If multiple sites are within the 2.4Mhz bandwidth of the dongle, they can be monitored at the same time.

There are no frequencies in the gap shown in the RR database for the sites you are monitoring. All of the frequencies are in the 152Mhz or 161-162Mhz range.

You can watch the event log to make sure you are not getting any "Tuner unavailable" messages
oh ok thank u very much

AngWay

Premium Subscriber

do u use heterodyne or polyphrase?

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
I honestly forget why, but I am using Heterodyne

1718989200461.png

Check your log and if you don't see any errors, then everything should be working.

In regards to the freq that's not listed, it actually fits in the 2.4 window and will work without error. If there are more freqs that show up that are outside the 2.4 on either dongle, then and only then would the 3rd dongle be needed.

AngWay

Premium Subscriber
I honestly forget why, but I am using Heterodyne

View attachment 164401

Check your log and if you don't see any errors, then everything should be working.

In regards to the freq that's not listed, it actually fits in the 2.4 window and will work without error. If there are more freqs that show up that are outside the 2.4 on either dongle, then and only then would the 3rd dongle be needed.
when u say check the log are u talking about the event tab? here is some screenshots showing the events i see duplicate calls but in the events tab it ain't exactly the same i'm trying to figure out if i really need that 161 cc or not or if it even matters which CC i use.

Attachments

• gottttttt.png
    gottttttt.png
    712 KB · Views: 9
  • got200.png
    got200.png
    703.1 KB · Views: 8
  • got2for.png
    got2for.png
    705.4 KB · Views: 9

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
Can you open your playlist editor and post a pic of both sites showing all freqs?

Like this? One for Honaker and one for Oakwood? Widen the freq column if needed.

1718993102672.png

AngWay

Premium Subscriber
Can you open your playlist editor and post a pic of both sites showing all freqs?

Like this? One for Honaker and one for Oakwood? Widen the freq column if needed.

View attachment 164406
yes right here. but how is that gonna help with the question?....and i also added new screenshots showing the envents

Attachments

• ugthug.png
    ugthug.png
    282.5 KB · Views: 9
  • nobody.png
    nobody.png
    778.6 KB · Views: 8
  • nobody1.png
    nobody1.png
    755.1 KB · Views: 8