12 hour test AOR AR DV10

palmerjrusa

Unfortunately, the R30 is not an alternative, because it is not further available. In addition, DMR, C4FM, Tetra (unercrypted) are missing.
Therefore, it is very interesting for me to gain practical experience with the suitability for decoding of
- dPMR
- DMR
- C4FM
- NXDN
- Tetra (unencrypted)

Is the DV-10 suitable to decode in good quality above mentioned modulations? These demand is mandatory for me.

The lack in operation time with build-in batterie could be extended by an external 3s LiIon accu, this should be possible.
The sensitive of the DV-10 should be less than the R-30, soneone noted intemodulations. But he spoke about external Antenna without notification, if there was an LNA installed. Are intermodulations with delivered or external passive antennas really a problem?
Maybe, I could get some of your practice experiences??

1. DV10 DMR decoding is fine. However, you get a short data burst when the mode detect feature is set to "digital mode auto detect). This disappears when the mode is set to DMR. In addition, when decoding DMR signals there's no visual display of the slot #. So, if you have a DMR frequency shared by slots 1 and 2 there's no way to know from the display which slot # the signal is assigned to and no way to program a slot # into the memory. This is basic stuff AOR!

2. There's a volume attenuation function presumably because at any particular attenuation and volume setting the volume level changes widely depending on the reception mode. When scanning a memory bank, an analog signal will be received at a comfortable volume level while a digital signal will be very, very loud. So you have to keep adjusting both the audio attenuation level and the volume control, it's maddening!

3. If you set the squelch level just beyond the open squelch point and start scanning frequencies you hear a clicking sound as it scans. The squelch doesn't actually open but it does trigger the display light when the radio is set to auto and this drains the battery quickly. Increase the squelch level a couple or more notches and the clicking sound disappears and there's no display illumination but now you dont receive the weak signals! What the hell is that all about?

4. I use my DV10 to scan UHF military aviation frequencies and there's intermod from a strong local FM station. Have to place a filter for the commercial FM RF spectrum between the supplied antenna and the antenna input to stop this. My IC-R30 scans those frequencies happily, never misses a beat, no intermod at all.

5. My impression is the the DV10 is not as sensitive in the UHF region as the IC-R30. With identical antennas scanning the same military aviation frequencies, weak signals opens the squelch on my IC-R30 while the DV10's squelch doesn't open (even if you have the squelch setting just closed with the attendent problem described above.

6. Recording audio is very primitive, no frequency or time stamp and when using the Rec function the receiver will often freeze up and have to be powered down then up to resolve this.

7. Unlike the IC-R30, there's no talk group # identification when the DV10 is in P25 mode.

Don't have any experience with the other digital modes.

I think AOR just said "screw it" and released the DV10 when it was half-way through development.

Last edited:

wb4sqi

Premium Subscriber
Both of my DV10 batteries, an AOR original and Yaesu version will not take a charge. After less than a minute in the charger the charge light starts blinking. No load battery voltage in 5.39 and 5.42. AOR battery is less than 18 months old while the Yaesu battery is less than 9 months old. Neither one has more than 100 charge cycles.

While I have no clue to the internal design I am assuming the internal BMS is preventing a charge because the cell voltage is too low.

Anyone have any ideas as to restoring full battery function?

palmerjrusa

Both of my DV10 batteries, an AOR original and Yaesu version will not take a charge. After less than a minute in the charger the charge light starts blinking. No load battery voltage in 5.39 and 5.42. AOR battery is less than 18 months old while the Yaesu battery is less than 9 months old. Neither one has more than 100 charge cycles.

While I have no clue to the internal design I am assuming the internal BMS is preventing a charge because the cell voltage is too low.

Anyone have any ideas as to restoring full battery function?

You trying to charge the battery in the cradle?

If so, try charging directly from the AC adapter.

DudleyG

Premium Subscriber
The owners manual on page 15 says that you have to hook the AC adapter directly to the receiver for a over-discharged battery because the cradle won’t work in that case.