w2lie

New York DB Admin
Database Admin
Not watching a 32-minute video when I cold read a 13-line list in less than a minute.
Watch it in 2x and make it a 16 minute video 😁
It’s a lie, no frequencies are mentioned. Instead its “program some VHF air or mil air or some public service frequencies in“. My 7yr old grand daughter can give better scanner advice than this.
Your comments are noted, however, how can I tell you to listen to 453.4125 if there is nothing on that frequency in your area? Wouldn’t make much sense.

These are groups of frequencies, geared at using the search banks in most scanners so anyone can follow along, especially those who do not have a lot of experience using a scanner.

@RaleighGuy is correct, I don’t just explain “do this”. I explain why and also have a story or two to go along with it to also help to make the point. And I point out and share other resources where watchers can get even more information if they are interested in learning more.

Maybe I can convert this video into 13 short form videos so it’s easier for you to digest 🙃 (of course I’m joking here so please take that light heartedly)

@kf6olc , thanks again for sharing the video.

Marcy57

Premium Subscriber
Watch it in 2x and make it a 16 minute video 😁

Your comments are noted, however, how can I tell you to listen to 453.4125 if there is nothing on that frequency in your area? Wouldn’t make much sense.

These are groups of frequencies, geared at using the search banks in most scanners so anyone can follow along, especially those who do not have a lot of experience using a scanner.

@RaleighGuy is correct, I don’t just explain “do this”. I explain why and also have a story or two to go along with it to also help to make the point. And I point out and share other resources where watchers can get even more information if they are interested in learning more.

Maybe I can convert this video into 13 short form videos so it’s easier for you to digest 🙃 (of course I’m joking here so please take that light heartedly)

@kf6olc , thanks again for sharing the video.
thank you for taking time making the video...you do
not have to do it! you do it to help and promote the
hobby on your own time! screw the comments !
best 73,s Marcy

Last edited:

Saint

Premium Subscriber
It’s a lie, no frequencies are mentioned. Instead its “program some VHF air or mil air or some public service frequencies in“. My 7yr old grand daughter can give better scanner advice than this.
Thanks for doing the video on the subject of scanning, it will help a lot of people. Every video people take the time to do is a plus for our hobby.
Saint

wtp

anyone can program a radio, but you really need to "talk the talk" to know what is being said.
so like the SHTF folks, hearing a signal 7 could be a dead body or a missing stop sign.
the first rule of scanner club is to listen.

Omega-TI

Ω
Premium Subscriber
In my humble opinion... IT'S NOT CLICKBAIT!
While actually watching the video, I learned about the NIFOG field guide that is quite literally CRAMMED with useful information. Instead of blowing off the video, I learned something new that led me to download and print up something very useful for my radio listening post.

Guide.jpg

a727469

While I understand both sides on this, it is always good to have generalized videos like this for those who have not been in the hobby for 100 years 😵‍💫. However, the title somewhat suggests that there might be specific frequencies mentioned. Still good information. A thanks to the creator for not only taking the time but also understanding the broad range of possible experience in the potential viewer.

Omega-TI

Ω
Premium Subscriber
... it is always good to have generalized videos like this for those who have not been in the hobby for 100 years 😵‍💫.

... and for returning old farts like myself!

A thanks to the creator for not only taking the time but also understanding the broad range of possible experience in the potential viewer.

Absolutely! There is an old saying that goes, "One cannot judge a book by it's cover", the same goes for videos. I've learned some interesting things in life from some sources I would never have expected, so now in my old age I've learned never to just blow something off with an arrogant assumption.

kb1fua

The original Field Guide was first published in 2007. I received mine in 2009.
It has had several revisions since. This one is from 8/21. I "think" there was one after that a but I'm not sure.

KC1THE

Massachusetts
In my humble opinion... IT'S NOT CLICKBAIT!
While actually watching the video, I learned about the NIFOG field guide that is quite literally CRAMMED with useful information. Instead of blowing off the video, I learned something new that led me to download and print up something very useful for my radio listening post.

View attachment 162165
Same with me. I too learned about NIFOG from @ecps92 in this thread:

Last edited:

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
While I understand both sides on this, it is always good to have generalized videos like this for those who have not been in the hobby for 100 years 😵‍💫. However, the title somewhat suggests that there might be specific frequencies mentioned. Still good information. A thanks to the creator for not only taking the time but also understanding the broad range of possible experience in the potential viewer.
Yeah, a lot of members here are older, because my dad was a ham I started around 1963, 1964, 10 or 11 years old with slide rule tunable dial receivers and swl. Haven't stopped since. Led to a successful career in journalism listening to spot news and starting as a Stringer.

To a lot of us this is a very rudimentary and not very specific video. But listeners of the future have to start somewhere, we didn't have internet, we didn't have cell phones. The magazines were always a month and a half behind.

To new listeners, or inexperienced listeners, the scanner school and videos like this are an introduction. The old farts aren't going to live forever.