Status
Not open for further replies.

amoking

Echo
Hi All,

I am returning to the hobby and am more of a 2M/70cm listener than a talker. I often drive long stretches throughout the western states. Is there any new tech out there in the mobile units (Kenwood, ICOM) that allow for auto tone decode when a band scan hits a repeater?

I have the mobile Repeater Book app but don't want to preprogram all of the offsets etc if I can help it.

Thanks in advance.

chief21

Premium Subscriber
Summer - Western NC; Winter - Tampa Bay FL
There are many mobile ham radios that can automatically apply the standard offset, and many also have the capability to do a tone scan to determine which tone (if any) the repeater is transmitting... but this function is typically manual. Since you are returning to the hobby, I hope you remember that a PL or DCS tone is not necessary to simply receive a repeater signal.
As you are also probably aware, some ham repeaters might require a tone for access, but very few actually transmit a tone on the outbound frequency. For this reason, it is often necessary to monitor another station on the inbound frequency in order to determine the tone required for repeater access.
Safe travels and welcome back to the hobby.

amoking

Echo
There are many mobile ham radios that can automatically apply the standard offset, and many also have the capability to do a tone scan to determine which tone (if any) the repeater is transmitting... but this function is typically manual. Since you are returning to the hobby, I hope you remember that a PL or DCS tone is not necessary to simply receive a repeater signal.
As you are also probably aware, some ham repeaters might require a tone for access, but very few actually transmit a tone on the outbound frequency. For this reason, it is often necessary to monitor another station on the inbound frequency in order to determine the tone required for repeater access.
Safe travels and welcome back to the hobby.
Thank you! All figured out! 73

Status
Not open for further replies.