Erie County P25 System

Status
Not open for further replies.

maus92

Premium Subscriber
Thought I'd try a wire window antenna for my downstairs scanner. This actually works pretty well and is inexpensive. Can be used in a car also. So far better than any back-of-set antenna I've used. Amazon.com: Scanner Radio Receiver BNC Glass Mount Wire Antenna with 2 Suction Cups - Workman SC1: Home Audio & Theater

Also, for those of you who might have an SDS100 or 200, here's a Facebook group that has lots of good info. UNIDEN SDS100 SDS200 Radio Scanner Group
I've used a bunch of different antennas similar to what you have. It doesn't improve my reception on the systems I monitor, however these systems are 700/800 band and the signal at these frequencies are pretty good at penetrating light buildings. 450 UHF signals are less efficient, and VHF is even worse. It makes some sense that the on-glass antenna improves reception for your situation, but you don't want too much antenna for the 536 for a simulcast system.

scnrfrq

Premium Subscriber
I've used a bunch of different antennas similar to what you have. It doesn't improve my reception on the systems I monitor, however these systems are 700/800 band and the signal at these frequencies are pretty good at penetrating light buildings. 450 UHF signals are less efficient, and VHF is even worse. It makes some sense that the on-glass antenna improves reception for your situation, but you don't want too much antenna for the 536 for a simulcast system.
I'm using the antenna with an SDS200. Seems to be the best combination so far to monitor this system.

mfullererie

Premium Subscriber
Little late here, but ECI is using their "Tac 2" which is TG307 for wheelchairs now and have been for a little while. They are no longer using 155.220. Didn't submit a change since I figure that they would probably use that TG if they needed a tac channel and bump the W/C units from them.

scnrfrq

Premium Subscriber
I may be wrong but I thought one of the main reasons for spending all the money on this system was so various agencies at the scene of an incident could communicate on the same talkgroup. So far I'm just not hearing this happening. It sounds just like 50 years of the old system where the dispatcher relays comms to the different agencies.

An example is the incident a few days ago when about 15 people ended up in the bay after boats capsized. You had Emergycare, City Fire, Coast Guard, Millcreek Fire, and maybe more involved. Dispatcher had to coordinate and relay comms. I don't think I've heard any PD agency patched in to Fire/EMS at an accident scene.

Am I not looking at this correctly?

KB3KBR

(ಠ_ಠ) (◣_◢) (。◕‿◕。)
Feed Provider
I may be wrong but I thought one of the main reasons for spending all the money on this system was so various agencies at the scene of an incident could communicate on the same talkgroup. So far I'm just not hearing this happening. It sounds just like 50 years of the old system where the dispatcher relays comms to the different agencies.

An example is the incident a few days ago when about 15 people ended up in the bay after boats capsized. You had Emergycare, City Fire, Coast Guard, Millcreek Fire, and maybe more involved. Dispatcher had to coordinate and relay comms. I don't think I've heard any PD agency patched in to Fire/EMS at an accident scene.

Am I not looking at this correctly?

I remember seeing this as a signature on someones account one " Interoperability is not a technology, it's a mindset"

Essentially if people don't have the brains to switch channels you'll never be interoperable!!

mfullererie

Premium Subscriber
Little late here, but ECI is using their "Tac 2" which is TG307 for wheelchairs now and have been for a little while. They are no longer using 155.220. Didn't submit a change since I figure that they would probably use that TG if they needed a tac channel and bump the W/C units from them.
ECI is now back to 155.220 for Wheelchair and Med Taxi traffic.

mfullererie

Premium Subscriber
Can anyone confirm or deny if the analog paging frequencies are using DPL, and if so, identify the codes? Every once in a while it sounds like I can hear subaudible data resembling what could be DPL being transmitted during the dispatches.
I believe it is CSQ. When I looked at the code plug for the pagers, there was no DPL programmed in it.

scnrfrq

Premium Subscriber
Just seen this on the erie times-news youtube channel talking about issue with the nextgen 26.5 million dollars system
Nice they put up the 5 minute video, but real hard to understand. The article is a ling time coming I'm sure. They need to address therse concerns a lot faster!

maus92

Premium Subscriber
Here's an article in FireRescue1 that expands on the situation somewhat:

The northeast area of the county was identified earlier as an area that coverage is not acceptable.

N3KGD

Well, it should be noted that earlier this year, I submitted a two page document to both the Department of Public Safety and their license point of contact with regards to deficiencies with their analog paging system. Apparently the issue hasn't been resolved yet and faulted again earlier this morning. The lack of concern regarding this issue is alarming, and at this point negligent.

To summarize: both analog frequencies are programmed to identify every 30 minutes to satisfy FCC rules and regulations under 47 CFR 90.425.

At 4:05 AM on 10/03/2020, the dispatcher toned-out Fairfield Hose for a second-tap on a medical call. The page didn't go through because the base station identifier stomped over the first set of tones. At 4:07 AM, a member of Fairfield asked the dispatcher to tone out for additional manpower. The dispatcher replied "I already sent out a second tap, you want me to page again?", to which a second page went out and the dispatcher asked "did it go through that time"? The transmitter completely disregards and ignores any activity on the frequency and just transmits the station identifier.

This is the FIFTH time I've observed paging tones or radio traffic covered up by the station identifier and each time, those calls went into second tap. In an emergency, every second counts.

The next time you call in your emergency and it doesn't turn out the best of endings, just wonder if help could've arrived sooner. Perhaps first responders didn't arrive quick enough because their pagers didn't activate the first time around... Not everyone relies on SMS paging.

Just like North East Fire Department said in the news clip earlier this year, they reported it to Erie County, and it pretty much falls on deaf ears by being told "we're working on it" for months on end. I got told when I forwarded my two page document that they would forward the problem to their IT personnel, but the issue is still present.

I'm also still wondering why we have MDC-1200 data bursts on pre-transmission. It's nice trying to hear the dispatch but instead hearing MDC data bursts covering the first part of every single voice transmission.

I feel the general public and first responders should know of this issue. I know Erie County does watch this thread - Director and all. There shouldn't be any excuse that this issue still exists, much less the fact that public safety is at an inherent increased risk because of faulty radio programming.

Can you imagine if your family or loved one was in cardiac arrest, you were in a critical motor vehicle accident, or your house was on fire, and help showed up four minutes later than it originally could've? Every second makes a difference in an emergency... Sounds like a lawsuit waiting to happen if you ask me.

To note: this issue is on both County and Millcreek analog paging frequencies in case anyone is interested.

Is it just me, or should this be considered acceptable?

Last edited:

N3KGD

Edit to the last post: the date of the incident was 10/02/2020 at 4:05 AM and 4:07 AM. Subscribers should be able to pull recordings of the radio traffic and listen for themselves.

Railbender

Premium Subscriber
I know at least 2 VFDs have purchased Unication digital pagers, G2s, for their members. They can now hear the actual dispatch as well as TAC channels while responding to the station.

jland138

Sad to hear. Hope they get it fixed soon.

Not sure if anyone saw this, but a support cable for the old low band radio tower on top of the Corry fire station snapped earlier this week. The tower fell across energized power lines. Power surged into the low band equipment, setting the old radios on fire.

N3KGD

12:35 AM this date (10/08/2020), Edinboro Fire department tones covered up by transmitter ID'ing.

n3obl

Ø
Database Admin
Well, it should be noted that earlier this year, I submitted a two page document to both the Department of Public Safety and their license point of contact with regards to deficiencies with their analog paging system. Apparently the issue hasn't been resolved yet and faulted again earlier this morning. The lack of concern regarding this issue is alarming, and at this point negligent.

I feel the general public and first responders should know of this issue. I know Erie County does watch this thread - Director and all. There shouldn't be any excuse that this issue still exists, much less the fact that public safety is at an inherent increased risk because of faulty radio programming.

Can you imagine if your family or loved one was in cardiac arrest, you were in a critical motor vehicle accident, or your house was on fire, and help showed up four minutes later than it originally could've? Every second makes a difference in an emergency... Sounds like a lawsuit waiting to happen if you ask me.

To note: this issue is on both County and Millcreek analog paging frequencies in case anyone is interested.

Is it just me, or should this be considered acceptable?

Are you a representative or a member of an agency involved or just a concerned citizen. Usually unless you are directly involved with the agency I could easily see the staff at 911 round file your emails and letters.

They obviously don't want the public monitoring since they encrypt police. Im sure if they had their way they would encrypt everything.

N3KGD

Are you a representative or a member of an agency involved or just a concerned citizen. Usually unless you are directly involved with the agency I could easily see the staff at 911 round file your emails and letters.

They obviously don't want the public monitoring since they encrypt police. Im sure if they had their way they would encrypt everything.

Well, without getting too detailed, I am well know at the 911 Center. I do represent a public safety agency in a limited capacity. I was a volunteer for a fire department years ago as well. So, I'm not just Joe Blow, a concerned citizen. Erie County did reply to my email months back, as stated in my original posting: they said they would forward the issue to their IT department, and yet months later the issue hasn't been resolved, which is why I opted to go public. Erie County does monitor this thread, I can confirm that.

..and regardless of who I am, this is a public safety issue. It isn't about me, nor should my past reputation (or lack thereof) within Public Safety have any place for this issue.

The North East fire department went public after their continued reporting of issues seemed to not have the gravity or attention it deserves. Just like mine are.

With regards to encryption, yes, I agree.

So, no, my letters aren't being round-filed. They're being seen - and so are these postings.

Status
Not open for further replies.