SDS100/SDS200: Firmware 1.05.01M Public Beta

Status
Not open for further replies.

JohnSC

Premium Subscriber
+1. Using 0 delays since the first beta on Palmetto 800.

Ok ive found out alot by testing the new sds100 i was missing very short comms or the first part of some with having my g4 beside it even with the latest 1.05.01 I have discovered that if i put every channel at 0 second delay instead of 2 second default it picks up every part of the comm especially the short quick 10-4s. As some of you know the g4-g5 has no delay and i believe this may be why they set it up as such. My theory is that it has an easier time picking up if it is scanning when the next comm comes through instead of being on hold for 2 seconds on the active ID. Now i cant say this is the same for other types of p25 trunking systems but for harris p2 this is my findings.

I've been getting some SD card errors (Error 109 specifically) lately. It happens when I'm scanning a bunch of conventional analog freqs that are licensed to a certain entity that I am trying to ID what freqs are used at the various locations. However, with the proliferation of DMR and NXDN, there are a lot of these freqs that are also used by those digital users within range. It seems to error when there are a bunch of these digital transmissions that it comes across in short order where it doesn't have good enough signal to decode it or if it is an unsupported digital format. Yes, I have both DMR and NXDN upgrades. I have replay set to 240 secs. I thought it was the SD card going bad, so I have replaced it, yet I still get the same error under the same conditions, so I believe it's more of a software issue than a hardware issue. This was occuring with the previous beta firmware as well, but I had not replaced the SD card until just before the new beta was released.

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
Ok ive found out alot by testing the new sds100 i was missing very short comms or the first part of some with having my g4 beside it even with the latest 1.05.01 I have discovered that if i put every channel at 0 second delay instead of 2 second default it picks up every part of the comm especially the short quick 10-4s. As some of you know the g4-g5 has no delay and i believe this may be why they set it up as such. My theory is that it has an easier time picking up if it is scanning when the next comm comes through instead of being on hold for 2 seconds on the active ID. Now i cant say this is the same for other types of p25 trunking systems but for harris p2 this is my findings.

I have reverted back to the official 1.05.00 firmware for the time being I am getting a cutting out skip like I had a priority channel scan on the 1.05.01M. But the official version is working well.

"Modified the voice channel termination method for P25 Phase 1 systems"

I think this may have something to do with the skip, as the system I am referring to operates on phase 1 with cqpsk modulation.

Interesting observation as with Motorola P25 systems, setting the System Hold time to 2 seems to catch more transmissions. I have TGID hold set to 4. I know Harris systems have needed a bit more tweaking by users. I'm using the newest beta firmware.

SCPD

QRT
vhf

Ok took the New firmware on a mobile trip from Columbus, OH to Seattle, WA (Just got to Seattle) (Driving of course :p )

Analog VHF seems a whole lot better, Analog everything actually including the King County System im listening to now. I could Actually hear the railroads this trip.

Excellent P25 reception and trunking

Air is still a bit weak, but the engineers are on the right track i think

one thing i did notice on the only Provoice system i have listened to is that i am getting more decode errors on Provoice then i did before and the audio sometimes isnt as clear

Yes VHF seems a tad better ,Air-band needs that same tweak. Keep up the good work, Upman!

maus92

Premium Subscriber
I'm curious when we will get the next release version of the firmware. I'd like to gain some of the new features introduced in the betas since the last release. I'm not experiencing any issues with the systems I monitor, so I don't need the beta otherwise.

JohnSC

Premium Subscriber
Not ideal, for sure. My FLs are short and scan quickly. But I do believe I hear more and can always lock a channel if needed. I wish the channel lock would track the most recent active channel. That would be an improvement.

Won't you miss the reply, follow up, etc.?

WX4JCW

Premium Subscriber
I'm curious when we will get the next release version of the firmware. I'd like to gain some of the new features introduced in the betas since the last release. I'm not experiencing any issues with the systems I monitor, so I don't need the beta otherwise.

they just released an official one not long ago

maus92

Premium Subscriber
1.05.00 is the newest update you need to get that from sentinel and update your firmware.

OK, thx. For some reason I didn't notice mention / an announcement in this subforum that an official 1.05 version was released. I've updated to 1.05.0 / 1.01.5 - thanks!

schs448

Pinellas P25 P1: https://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?sid=4290

Clearwater P25 P2 UID performance isn't perfect, but acceptable.

As with the previous FW version, the scanner will not record while debug logging is enabled.

I recorded 10 transmissions, and only 3 of them had the UID displayed during playback (I believe 10 of 10 were displayed while live). Technically it was only 2, because ever since the BCD436HP, and this radio included, Phase 1 UIDs are mismatched during playback the majority of the time.

On our P25 Phase 1 system in South Australia, I too, am missing many UIDs during playback, although nearly all are displayed live.

WoodburyMan

Can confirm several P25 systems I listen too (Trunked and Simplex) both appear to be working much better. I hear more of the start of a transmission, and it releases faster. Scanning for trunked system seems faster too.

kc5igh

Premium Subscriber
. . .The surprising improvement not mentioned in the release notes is my analog systems. While I had some inter modulation previously, the unit appears to be "desensitized" a bit, as if the AGC was adjusted slightly. I uploaded the firmware and was just outside near the airport and have not heard any interference during analog transmissions. Hopefully others hear some improvements.

That's an interesting observation, werinshades.

I live in a rural, weak-signal environment, and, if anything, the latest beta firmware update seems to have hampered somewhat my SDS100's analog-signal performance. If the update did indeed "densitize" the SDS100's analog-signal processing, I can certainly understand how that would have helped you overcome intermod in a strong-signal environment. Unfortunately, densitization in my primary listening environment isn't a good thing.

Heaven only knows to what extent our various observations are the subjective products of the many, many variables that can and do impact our listening experiences. Weather, time of day, aging ears, mood, expectations, ambient noise, the level of activity and ever-changing conditions (alignment, power variations, mouth-to-microphone proximity, etc) of the radio systems we're monitoring . . . the list goes on and on.

I wonder if Paul Opitz has a good laugh now and again when a bunch of us get online to report improvements or setbacks that weren't even touched by the latest firmware update.

Happy monitoring!
-Johnnie

WX4JCW

Premium Subscriber
That's an interesting observation, werinshades.

I live in a rural, weak-signal environment, and, if anything, the latest beta firmware update seems to have hampered somewhat my SDS100's analog-signal performance. If the update did indeed "densitize" the SDS100's analog-signal processing, I can certainly understand how that would have helped you overcome intermod in a strong-signal environment. Unfortunately, densitization in my primary listening environment isn't a good thing.

Heaven only knows to what extent our various observations are the subjective products of the many, many variables that can and do impact our listening experiences. Weather, time of day, aging ears, mood, expectations, ambient noise, the level of activity and ever-changing conditions (alignment, power variations, mouth-to-microphone proximity, etc) of the radio systems we're monitoring . . . the list goes on and on.

I wonder if Paul Opitz has a good laugh now and again when a bunch of us get online to report improvements or setbacks that weren't even touched by the latest firmware update.

Happy monitoring!
-Johnnie

that's quite possible that they never touched it, or messed with a setting that improved another are or made it less sensitive, remember that squelch issue a few betas back, sometimes it is a lot of trial and error.

I develop add ons for a railroad simulator out there and we had some signal issues that never showed up in beta, they were there but got totally missed, mostly because that section of the line had low traffic, then one day bam the right conditions were met after a year since release and we had a problem to fix, even customers didnt pick up the problems for a year, software programming is a lot of trial and error so im assuming it is with the firmware, they are trying to get it right for as many situations as possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.