SDS100/SDS200 Open Beta 1.09.01 for Crackling Noise

Status
Not open for further replies.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
Hmmm. Still studying. Engineer has a few more questions:

1. Does this happen on both the SDS100 and 200?
2. Do you hear the crackling noise when you replay or play back a recording?
3. What is the modulation? Does this happen also on WFM or FMB?
4. Are the channels that this happens on always the same?

peewee007

Gary Hanson
Feed Provider
Crackle is heard in the playback.. the modulation can either be Narrow FM or FM..sofar not hearing it using WFM or FMB...the frequencies this happens is either VHF 150-174Mhz or UHF 450-470Mhz..any analog signal without a ctcss tone set in the scanner. If one is set, then there's zero crackle.. The signals received can either be sending a ctcss tone or not.. Definetely more prevalent when out mobile with signals flopping all around..that seems to trigger it a lot faster..sitting stationary takes a while to trigger it

Reactions: RRR

WX4JCW

Premium Subscriber
I had it happen on the railroad channels on full database as well as from my DMR hotspot on UHF does not seem to happen with digital only analog so with my hotspot it only happens when the CW ID is sent

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

WillinNY

Works Great however can not change the Set_Channel_Name on detailed trunk or Simple trunk on On Freq Trunk Systems as the UID is ussually dispatch or the department ID..Is this is a new customizing issue of if its been there all along. VHF works great on the sds100 again... Just wish I could SET Channel_Name to UID Name Tag.. Other than that its doing well even on the STOCK antenna..
Crackling noise completely GONE on UHF/VHF/800 and VHF lo all seem great and range is awesome.. Filters Work Fantastically.. Acts as if Gain has been improved as well..
Thanks a bunch Paul. Hope things are getting better for you..

peewee007

Gary Hanson
Feed Provider
One more question: Does it happen if channel is set to Analog / Tone Search?
Doesn't sound like it..seems to do it when set to "All" for the audio type -- update: Yeah..it's still there when set to Analog / Tone Search..took a bit longer to get triggered

Last edited:

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
A few more questions from engineering (well, 1 repeat, 1 new):

1. Does this happen on both the SDS100 and 200? Or either one?

2. In All or Analog / Tone Search audio type, is the scanner able to receive CTCSS during crackle noise? (blink CTCSS)

WillinNY

Upman The crackling now is only happening in analog search mode and only on systems with mobile simplex radios on vhf hiband when they are going out of reception range of antenna..Sounds like an auto gain tries to boost that signal being so weak and catches all the breakup of the distant analog coms that have already gone silent on th 996p2..however the range of sds100 has also improved tons... Thank you Paul and keep up the great work...

rolesnevich

Premium Subscriber
I apply this yesterday. So far it made a huge difference. I had actually thought the issue with the SDS100 was with the 911 radio system for my county. As they currently working on an upgrade to P25 phase II and I notice a difference between my work location and home. With work, the reception has always been worse.

peewee007

Gary Hanson
Feed Provider
A few more questions from engineering (well, 1 repeat, 1 new):

1. Does this happen on both the SDS100 and 200? Or either one?

2. In All or Analog / Tone Search audio type, is the scanner able to receive CTCSS during crackle noise? (blink CTCSS)

Yeah..still blinks the ctcss tone

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
It looks like the crackle noise started happening only from 1.07 main. Can you reapply the old version to your SDS100 and check for a while to confirm this? You can download from 1.06M/1.01.05S Firmware Link

Note that you need to revert both the main and the sub (both files are in that linked zip).

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
I'm still seeing such reports from WX4JCW and others with the latest firmware. Thus my request for him to try w/1.06.

Status
Not open for further replies.