SDS100/SDS200 Open Beta 1.09.01 for Crackling Noise

Status
Not open for further replies.

peewee007

Gary Hanson
Feed Provider
It looks like the crackle noise started happening only from 1.07 main. Can you reapply the old version to your SDS100 and check for a while to confirm this? You can download from 1.06M/1.01.05S Firmware Link

Note that you need to revert both the main and the sub (both files are in that linked zip).

I installed the older firmware 1.06M/1.01.05S and sofar sounds good..I remember the noise started after one of the firmware updates and 1.07 might be where it was introduced -- update: Reinstalled this latest firmware 1.09.01 and now I hear nothing at all from signals on the radio..do I have to update firmwares incremementally as they came out ? Like from 1.06 to 1.07 and then to 1.09 ? -- update to the update: Reinstalled 1.06M/1.01.05S so I can hear things again..signal's were there but zero audio through headphones or speaker

Last edited:

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
I installed the older firmware 1.06M/1.01.05S and sofar sounds good..I remember the noise started after one of the firmware updates and 1.07 might be where it was introduced -- update: Reinstalled this latest firmware 1.09.01 and now I hear nothing at all from signals on the radio..do I have to update firmwares incremementally as they came out ? Like from 1.06 to 1.07 and then to 1.09 ? -- update to the update: Reinstalled 1.06M/1.01.05S so I can hear things again..signal's were there but zero audio through headphones or speaker

You have to confirm the sub-firmware is also installed (1.02.01) or it will not receive properly.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
The engineers are trying to determine precisely which change caused the crackling to start. So, I have 4 incremental firmware loads to try. Try each one, in sequence and report which one causes the noise to appear. These are SDS100 only for testing:

Test 1: M1.06.01/S1.01.05
Test 2: M1.06.10/S1.01.09 (both changed from #1)
Test 3: M1.06.12/S1.01.09 (only main changed from #2)
Test 4: M1.06.12/S1.01.10 (only sub changed from #3)

Even though something did not change from test to test, both main and sub are included in each download.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
Yes, reverting brought the audio back. Thanks

At which test level did it come back? While blue sky is good confirmation that the older didn't have the issue, I really need a rain report to determine what part of the update broke this.

khvfdff

I just updated to 1.09.01 firmware as instructed in the posts above. Less than five minutes later the county that I live in came up across their VHF to dispatch a call. NO CRACKLING whatsoever! Yay! It's nice to be able to hear the full dispatch and not have to guess what the dispatchers are saying. It also appears to have improved UHF in my area some as well. Maybe that wasn't the intention for UHF improvement but it appears to have done that. Thanks @UPMan for the update it's awesome! 800MHz trunked has also seen some improvement on the Motorola P25 I systems for Clay and Duval County Florida.

Last edited:

bravo14

Premium Subscriber
Sorry for the delay been working alot. I did the update last week and noticed on custom search in uhf and noticed ems disp bleeds over on certain freqs. Filter on Wide Normal. * On 800 custom search when a normal analog system is talking on a 8xx.xxxx than a second or later a edacs kicks in with a fake control channel has anyone have that problem?

Last edited:

Ubbe

I would think most owners have experianced ghost frequencies at least once and probably on several occasions. That's why there's filter for normal-invert-wide and IFX to handle it. In your case I would first suggest the IFX option to that frequency.
I have that problem even on a "standard" scanner like the BC346XT and have to use IFX on at least one frequency when using it mobile in my car. But sometimes it doesn't help when a different ghost transmission replaces the first ghost frequency.

/Ubbe

jbella

Premium Subscriber
At which test level did it come back? While blue sky is good confirmation that the older didn't have the issue, I really need a rain report to determine what part of the update broke this.

I reverted to current firmware through Sentinel. Have not tried loading 1.09.01 again as I'm traveling this weekend.

I tried it to see if it addresses a crackling type noise I get on an analog trunk system. (Mass State Police Central & Eastern Mass). I'll try again next week.

peewee007

Gary Hanson
Feed Provider
The engineers are trying to determine precisely which change caused the crackling to start. So, I have 4 incremental firmware loads to try. Try each one, in sequence and report which one causes the noise to appear. These are SDS100 only for testing:

Test 1: M1.06.01/S1.01.05
Test 2: M1.06.10/S1.01.09 (both changed from #1)
Test 3: M1.06.12/S1.01.09 (only main changed from #2)
Test 4: M1.06.12/S1.01.10 (only sub changed from #3)

Even though something did not change from test to test, both main and sub are included in each download.

Test1: Seems to be no crackle Test2-4: No audio at all --- Doing some tinkering, I've tried Test3(1.06.12M) with 1.02.01S and the crackle is there..tried Test4 with 1.02.01S but still no audio..if this helps any

Last edited:

peewee007

Gary Hanson
Feed Provider
Test1: Seems to be no crackle Test2-4: No audio at all --- Doing some tinkering, I've tried Test3(1.06.12M) with 1.02.01S and the crackle is there..tried Test4 with 1.02.01S but still no audio..if this helps any
Update: I got Test4 to work..there were other firmwares on the radio that were installing instead of the one in the zip file -- Results of Test4: Crackle is there -- Test2 and Test3 still have no audio when using the files in the zip file..Hopefully this all makes sense or helps

Last edited:

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
Just issued new public f/w that should put this to bed. Continue discussion there. I'll request that this thread be unstickied/locked.

garys

Premium Subscriber
Thanks. I noticed what I thought was poor reception, but with four bars on the signal meter. I figured out just today that it was probably the problem others reported as "no audio."

I'll apply this right now and see what happens.

Still loving this scanner. In 40 or so years in the hobby, including about five in electronics retail, this is the best ever.

Just issued new public f/w that should put this to bed. Continue discussion there. I'll request that this thread be unstickied/locked.

Status
Not open for further replies.