SDS100/SDS200: Firmware 1.05.01M Public Beta

Status
Not open for further replies.

W2GLD

Premium Subscriber
Overall I think the 1.04 works better I get better airband and everything seems to have a better signal
even 800mhz systems. Vhf high band is night and day some things from -106 to now -80dbm.
NYC 476mhz is better too.
Firmware should be tested with the stock antenna nothing else.
I had to go fishing for the older version on RR but wow what a difference. I'm leaving mine here for now.

Thanks again.

Does anyone have a download link for 1.04? Right now, the scanner is just collecting dust on the shelf while we wait for a fix for VHF/UHF and DMR conventional.

bravo14

Premium Subscriber

SCPD

QRT
You can see the difference simply by looking how the weather channels come in better. do a wx scan.

W2GLD

Premium Subscriber
And the thread goes silent...
Does that mean firmware 1.04 is working better for you?

I wanted some time to test it; I see no differences in performance between the current public beta and the 1.04 firmware; DMR conventional still won't decode unless you site in that One Frequency system for an extended period of time and VHF still has extensive bleed over from other frequencies and distortion on receive; all issues that I do not see on a BCD436HP; VERY disappointed in the SDS100 after all the hype, oh well back on the self until such time as Uniden addresses the issues or even replies or admits there are faults; I sense another recall situation like the BCDx36HP fiasco... Anyway, back on the latest BETA release and it's turned off collecting dust once again.

belvdr

No longer interested in living
For the systems I monitor, the SDS100 is comparable to the 436.

SCPD

QRT
1.04 vs 1.05

I see a huge difference in VHF high (136-174) and air band (110-136mhz)

800 MHz and higher is the same, I'll agree.

DMR decode works for me on 1.04 and not on 1.05 when I am searching ham 440-450mhz.

Stock antenna of course for all testing.(if you are using a different antenna that's not a fair test!)

mule1075

Feed Provider
Stock antenna of course for all testing.(if you are using a different antenna that's not a fair test!)
Rubbish if you use a different antenna so you can receive said systems it is indeed a fair test. Some people only use outdoor antennas on their scanners so to say using a different antenna is not fair is ridiculous.

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
I see a huge difference in VHF high (136-174) and air band (110-136mhz)

800 MHz and higher is the same, I'll agree.

DMR decode works for me on 1.04 and not on 1.05 when I am searching ham 440-450mhz.

A suggestion..like you I saw a difference in 1.04 and the "now" public release version 1.05. I created debug files for both versions and submitted them. Showing the differences via firmware debug files usually get's the attention of UPMan and his engineering staff instead of just mentioning it in a thread. The "beta release" made drastic improvements after I submitted the debug files and waited a few weeks. What impact they had I don't know, but if some discrepancy needed to be demonstrated or verified, hopefully my debug files helped.

My debug file demonstrated that the "now public release version 1.05" was dropping active transmissions during a Phase 1 P25 trunking system. Another user with a similar system Phase 1, P25 system contacted me and said he did not have this issue, but reported this software worked best "at the time". When this newer 1.05 "beta release" was released, my issues were resolved. While it wasn't reported in the release notes, some users (including myself) reported improvement in analog reception and much more tolerable than previous versions. This is the quirkiness of these newer scanners...reminds of me of an old seasaw...up for one, down for the other.

I don't know if you're using the beta version or public release version, but it seemed the beta behaved similar to version 1.04. I have read your posts and I'm hoping you take the time to send debug files for both releases for comparison purposes. I'm happy many here are doing just that to make improvements in this great scanner. Help is always appreciated.

WX4JCW

Premium Subscriber
Rubbish if you use a different antenna so you can receive said systems it is indeed a fair test. Some people only use outdoor antennas on their scanners so to say using a different antenna is not fair is ridiculous.

i wouldn't say it is a more fair test but like any scientific testing, using a different antenna is changing the conditions of the test, there are things that you cannot control with tests in the wild such as location, local transmitter proximity, etc but as long as you use the same antenna consistently throughout the test there is nothing wrong with it, thats not ruling out antenna issues nor if an outside antenna introduces more noise into the radio

mule1075

Feed Provider
i wouldn't say it is a more fair test but like any scientific testing, using a different antenna is changing the conditions of the test, there are things that you cannot control with tests in the wild such as location, local transmitter proximity, etc but as long as you use the same antenna consistently throughout the test there is nothing wrong with it, thats not ruling out antenna issues nor if an outside antenna introduces more noise into the radio
I use the same antenna for testing all my scanners.

werinshades

Premium Subscriber

I use the same antenna for testing all my scanners.

Good point. I use the stock antenna for my handhelds, and usually don't use a handheld as a mobile scanner. Since this one is putting all my other mobile scanners to shame on simulcast, it will be used as a mobile scanner until an SDSxxx is released and I'm still using the stock antenna.

WX4JCW

Premium Subscriber
Good point. I use the stock antenna for my handhelds, and usually don't use a handheld as a mobile scanner. Since this one is putting all my other mobile scanners to shame on simulcast, it will be used as a mobile scanner until an SDSxxx is released and I'm still using the stock antenna.

i use it for Mobile in my semi all the time, i have it attached to a Austin Spectra with excellent results, VHF is still an issue even on the mobile antenna though, but not a dealbreaker

bravo14

Premium Subscriber
Usually when I do a test I use 3 different antennas. 1 RS 800mhz 2 Antenna came with radio 3 SpectrumForce Wideband Antenna with Mag Mount and BNC. By Sun or Monday coming up will be doing alot of testing in a different area all radios I had doing tests there didn't get signal lucky get 1 bar.

SCPD

QRT
Same radio,same antenna

If I'm trying to compare a scanner with yours and you have a high gain antenna how is that a "fair" comparison? Sure, use your antenna but for a test we have to be on the same playing field.
A Mustang V6 Vs. a Mustang V6, you have a super tuner chip you're going to blow mine away, right?

Anyhow, why would you want the antenna to be different on a firmware test, if you could get your scanner working perfect
by Uniden doing a firmware update why use any other antenna but the stock?

Having a $40 antenna is going to give it better reception, or why did you even buy it. Now the thread turned into an antenna debate.LOL

Wearinshades, how do I get the debug files from the scanner? Pm me if you don't wanna put it here. please,thanks.

Last edited:

belvdr

No longer interested in living
Post the systems please so people can get context.

Ohio MARCS, various Northern KY Police and Fire, such as Campbell County and Boone County, Airports such as KCVG, KLUK, KHAO, I67.

Status
Not open for further replies.