Free Users - Turn off your ad blockers

Status
Not open for further replies.

N1XDS

ÆS Ø
Value of the site to me:

Here’s an example of a basic experience in trying to find information (value) for some thing I’m working on.

1.) I actually try to research my issue using the archives (Literally thousands of possible connections to what I am researching), using the search feature, and get many, many things that contain some of the words I’m searching for but never really ever find anything that matches the question I am asking for would like.

2.) I either start a new thread, or ask a question in a thread that might cover the subject I’m looking four, and pose a question and receive a condescending reply by some of the regulars “well, have you looked into the archives first before coming here?“

3.) having survived the chastisement above, I post my question at which point I receive reply from some old codger who wants to school me on the basics of electronics or radio or whatever particular subject they want to bloviate on, but never really answering my question directly.

4.) another bloviating old codger (obviously the arch nemesis of the previous one), charges in and tries to one-up

The first one, and now they both whip it out in a big dick swinging Contest, where yet even a third old codger enters the fray in the flame wars have begun!

5.) At this point perhaps, someone will take pity on the “OP”, and try and reign in the other two or three who are now at virtual war with each other and try to get them to answer my question… Which never really gets answer anyways, so I give up in frustration!

Sound like basically an experience you might be having?

Well, that’s not the kind of “VALUE“ I’m willing to pay for!

Sure I may happen across something of value here eventually here and there but generally, it certainly is not worth $30 a year to pay for the literal psychological clothes-ringer an innocent “OP“ will suffer for just trying to obtain some value from the RR Website.

(Flame Suit is now on!)

I see people come and go from sites like this and others where it gets out of hand when someone or a group run in to a thread go back and forth with each other over nothing what's so ever. Ever seen a adult act like a teenaager who acts like they can't be wrong in life? I deal with it on a different website where I am a moderator you won't be surprised some of the reports I receive daily about how a person acts towards another person or persons because of their post, subject, topic they made on the forum/website.

My best advice to someone that isn't happy with something or someone please send a message/email to the owner of the website and let them hear what your going through and maybe just maybe they will listen or work out something with that person who has an issue with something on the website/forum. If someone doesn't say anything about how would the administrator/moderator know what's going on if nothing is being said? Yes, I get complained to because someone says this that or another about something myself and other staff members don't know anything about until someone finally says something about it or reports it.

If someone says something about something instead of bashing the topic starter just move on to a different topic area instead of someone replying with something problematic and that's how things get started with people bashing/name calling each other over something childish that is how people get in trouble with some moderators and administrators because they can't walk away and not say anything. I've seen a lot of threads in my past while being a forum member here there has been plenty of threads that were awaiting for disaster or already in process of going down hill and some were going overboard with it for no reason just let it go.

- Jamie

Last edited:

Outerdog

T¹ ÆS Ø
Premium Subscriber
I don’t like ads forced on me either but the site owner can do whatever it wants.

As can the site visitor. For example:
Code:
pihole --regex '(\.|^)scintillatingsilver\.com$'
...solves the problem nicely.

merlin

I can live with the extra clutter, and that is all the adds are for me.
I am going to premium anyway so fire at will.

blantonl

Founder and CEO
Staff member
Super Moderator
As can the site visitor. For example:
Code:
pihole --regex '(\.|^)scintillatingsilver\.com$'
...solves the problem nicely.
Hey look everyone! Here's how you can directly and deliberately deprive the site owner of revenue. Stick it to him!!
😏

People that do this stuff are smug jackasses. You might as well just stick your middle finger right in my face.

KC1UA

Scan New England Janitor/Maintenance
Database Admin
Despite the fact that I'm a Database Admin I just paid the website $30 for a year's subscription. Why?

1. I do an admitted half-assed (or probably closer to no-assed) job on helping with Database Admin although I do try to do so when I can.
2. The amount of value I derive from this site is immeasurable. The ability to download data into any number of apps and programs I use, to include but not limited to ProScan, FreeScan, BuTel, SDRTrunk, UniTrunker is priceless. The hours saved alone are well worth the small price to pay.

It is unfortunate that this has deteriorated into a shouting match but I suppose it was inevitable. Hopefully people can agree to disagree and get on with things. This is a hobby after all. And...this is a free country. Just not a Democratic Republic when it comes to websites. ;) Been there done that.

KC1UA

Scan New England Janitor/Maintenance
Database Admin
It is inevitable when the first comment of the thread is literally inviting a flame war. So, mission accomplished here I guess?

I won't argue that point, but I would speculate that whether it started that way or not...at my post (#133) it would have long since deteriorated into what it now is anyway...:unsure:

R8000

Low Battery
Premium Subscriber
This is a hobby after all. .

Sadly, many folks forget this and take it way way way too seriously.

Starting up a small business has risks that Lindsay took on and accepted. I respect that.

I pay my subscription because I found some of the advanced tools very useful to me.

I see a few have very strong emotions about what is happening. I'd just suggest taking strongly worded reactions over to a private message and try to have a mature conversation with Lindsay. Even if you don't get the result you wanted, it makes you look just a little bit more credible and mature. Try to end on a agree to disagree basis, say your salutations, and move on with life.

Do we like ads ? Of course not. But, I feel confident Lindsay knows a bit more about business than I do and he probably had some data to back up his decision to do this. I also am sure he put some thought in to it.

When RR gets named in a lawsuit because of recordings some lawyer feels is important, it isn't free for Lindsay to defend the business on top of normal expenses he has.

Before folks post a emotionally charged reply here, I hope you will take a moment to put yourself in Lindsay's shoes and think for a few minutes before posting.

WB6WQF

Premium Subscriber
Good business model. Generate revenue from pushing ads to customers. Give the customers the ability to opt out by subscribing and generate revenue from the subscriptions. Can’t lose. Money keeps rolling in from all site visitors. Annoying but not illegal or immoral. It’s a private site.

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
Come on now, someone is enjoying the unruly distress and anguish. No need to impede his fun as he drinks their tears. I actually thought this thread would be on its way to epic status. Perhaps when the adblock reminder kicks in.
Perhaps it's time for some of the members in this thread to move on to greener pastures, as it seems clear how much mental and emotional distress and anguish this site causes them.

Status
Not open for further replies.