INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
It almost sounds like it is not writing your changes to the ProScan.cfg file which should be located in the same folder you are running that instance of ProScan from.

Possibly a permissions problem or it's writing your changes to a proscan.cfg located elsewhere.
I'd think ProScan would complain about something though when you start it or make a change that is written to the cfg file if it's missing or blocked due to a permissions setting.

I've not seen this error on Win 7 or the latest Win 10 release version.
It complains about the com port, and on first basic fix of reset the baud rate, it says the port is in use by this instance but nothing is being fed to the laptop. SO then I do the switch to another port. After the third time this happened I decided its time to see if Bob or anyone has an fix. If i was doing a feed this would really be a pain. As it is, its just every time the laptop reboots from an update etc...

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
Interesting new error maybe.. I use Win10, newest version of ProScan, running on an Dell Lattitude E6500 Machine. Lately every time the machine reboots, its resetting the com port baud rates thus making me have to reset them, and the only way to get this to really work with ProScan, is to unplug from one USB port, plug it in another, and do a complete reset etc. Not sure if this has to do with something in the Windows updates, or if its a ProScan thing. (BCD436HP btw.)

If running multiple instances of ProScan, make sure each is in seperate folders so the config of one instance will not interfere with another.
Is the ProScan comm port baud rate resetting? What does it reset to? 115.2 is the default. No changes in ProScan in this area. For a test try changing the baud rate then shut down ProScan and restart ProScan. See if the baud rate stays the same.

INDY72

I only run one instance currently. When the laptop reboots it resets to 9600 for the port. So I am thinking its something to do with Windows. It started doing this about three updates ago. Maybe some new security thing Windows is doing?

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
I only run one instance currently. When the laptop reboots it resets to 9600 for the port. So I am thinking its something to do with Windows. It started doing this about three updates ago. Maybe some new security thing Windows is doing?
I think you are referring to the Device Manager Port Settings. That setting doesn't matter. It's for legacy Modems. The only baud rate settings that matter are the scanner and ProScan.

INDY72

So if that is the case, why when the scanner and software are set for 115200, is there no communication taking place? But once the USB Port settings are upped to 115200 which then matches the software and scanner expected data transferal rates, things work again. Its almost a migraine causing whacky thing with Windows 10 going on. And its only started after about three Windows Updates ago. So its not on your end after the test of off/on.. Its not ProScan resetting, its the USB port. Which is in itself whacky. And it does not seem to be on anyone else's set up, so that means I go to the drawing board and dig in all my settings and see what in blazes is off with my laptop. Once I get it figured out, I can at least update you guys of the issue and fix, just in case anyone else has it happen. Keep up the amazing work Bob!

Motik

I have a question which has most probably been asked and answered before, but I wasn't able to find any info on the forum:

I have an SDS200 at home, connected to Proscan via IP. Proscan in turn is configured as a server for both RSoIP and Web. When I am away from home I am able to use the scanner as RSoIP or Web through the internet without any problem.

What I don't undertand is how I can read or write the scanner's database when accessing Proscan remotely. I tried opening the ports for FTP on my home router without success, the Proscan client complains that the scanner in on a different network (which is understandable). I tried tunneling the connection without more success.

Any idea?

Thanks in advance!

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
So if that is the case, why when the scanner and software are set for 115200, is there no communication taking place? But once the USB Port settings are upped to 115200 which then matches the software and scanner expected data transferal rates, things work again. Its almost a migraine causing whacky thing with Windows 10 going on. And its only started after about three Windows Updates ago. So its not on your end after the test of off/on.. Its not ProScan resetting, its the USB port. Which is in itself whacky. And it does not seem to be on anyone else's set up, so that means I go to the drawing board and dig in all my settings and see what in blazes is off with my laptop. Once I get it figured out, I can at least update you guys of the issue and fix, just in case anyone else has it happen. Keep up the amazing work Bob!

There's an issue with the driver. Whenever the computer reboots, the scanner will stop communicating (or respond to protocol commands). The only way to restore the communications is a scanner power cycle or reinserting the USB cable. Perhaps changing the Device Manager port settings baud rate is doing a reset internally which may be equivalent to reinstering the USB cable. If it happens again just power cycle the scanner and see if the communications comes backup again.

baydog

I have reinstalled the software on a second laptop that ProScan was previously installed on. When I enter my key I get the "Maximum Installs Exceeded Per the License Agreement." message. I used Revo Unistaller to remove the previous installation which was likely the wrong thing to do. Solution?

sonm10

Central MN Monitor
Premium Subscriber
I also had issues with the com port with 996p2 with latest software version. it would recognize that it was there and available but would not select any com ports and no baud rate would show. reverted back to 15.7 and started working again

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
I also had issues with the com port with 996p2 with latest software version. it would recognize that it was there and available but would not select any com ports and no baud rate would show. reverted back to 15.7 and started working again
Can you try 16.0 again. No changes in this area in a long time. It has to be something else.
Did you see a message when you tried to select a comm. port?

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
I have a question which has most probably been asked and answered before, but I wasn't able to find any info on the forum:

I have an SDS200 at home, connected to Proscan via IP. Proscan in turn is configured as a server for both RSoIP and Web. When I am away from home I am able to use the scanner as RSoIP or Web through the internet without any problem.

What I don't undertand is how I can read or write the scanner's database when accessing Proscan remotely. I tried opening the ports for FTP on my home router without success, the Proscan client complains that the scanner in on a different network (which is understandable). I tried tunneling the connection without more success.

Any idea?

Thanks in advance!

I just tested. It works for me. Do this:
1. Setup your router Port Forwarding like the 1st image.
2. Setup the ProScan FTP dialog with the outside address like the 2nd image

Last edited:

Motik

I just tested. It works for me. Do this:
1. Setup your router Port Forwarding like the 1st image.
2. Setup the ProScan FTP dialog with the outside address like the 2nd image

View attachment 79591

View attachment 79586
Thank you Bob for confirming it should work and for the detailed instructions. This looks like something I tried but I will not be able to confirm until next week. I will keep you informed.

radio3353

I am evaluating Proscan for use with my BC 780XLT since it is one of the few programs that still support this radio. I have two questions:
1. I have one Motorola Type II Smart Zone system programmed so far. The radio hangs up on the CC. Below is my channel list. Did I miss something?

2. Where do I lock out a TG? I don't see a TG Lockout selection in the Trunk List.

Thanks.

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
1. I have one Motorola Type II Smart Zone system programmed so far. The radio hangs up on the CC.
Press or click the Trunk button
2. Where do I lock out a TG? I don't see a TG Lockout selection in the Trunk List.
It's not possible to lockout a TGID in the Trunk List. The protocol command doesn't have a lockout parameter.
Same with programming manually using the scanner menu.

{edit} Nevermind on the Trunk button I suggested before. I see the Trunk indicator is on.
It may be a setting in the Trunk Bank Settings tab.

Last edited:

radio3353

Press or click the Trunk button

It's not possible to lockout a TGID in the Trunk List. The protocol command doesn't have a lockout parameter.
Same with programming manually using the scanner menu.

{edit} Nevermind on the Trunk button I suggested before. I see the Trunk indicator is on.
It may be a setting in the Trunk Bank Settings tab.

Thank you. Trunking is on, but the radio is not picking up traffic. I know there is traffic because I can hear it on my PRO-106. Here are my Trunk List and Trunk Bank settings. Do you see anything amiss there? Thanks.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
The Montgomery County system was rebanded. Make sure you've accounted for that.

Also, you have Control Channel Only set to OFF...change that to ON.

Last edited: