Asuka2222

Banned
Banned
I'm wondering if Asuka2222 is related to NakedFaerie or is him. Both are from the same city and using the RSOIP feature. The two rudest people I've ever experienced.

That is far fetched, No idea who NakedFaerie is and your fake claim has been reported.

As for rudest people, your name constantly pops up 🙄

There are enough threads to write a book how rude you are to people.

KevinC

Big Dog...celebrating 10 years of abuse!
Super Moderator
That is far fetched, No idea who NakedFaerie is and your fake claim has been reported.

As for rudest people, your name constantly pops up 🙄

There are enough threads to write a book how rude you are to people.

Can you link some of threads where he is rude? You don't have to link the whole book, just a chapter or two will be fine.

Icanhearit

Personally Proscan is pretty good and trouble free to me

There is one thing I do not get used to is when click menu->knob, mouse down the menu scroll upward ... Pretty counter intuitive. I know we may get used to it eventually (?), due to Proscan is just one of many windows application (that has nothing to do with scanner), it is hard to make this a unique habit without affecting others.

I understand the rationality Proscan behave so (especially if you use arrow key instead of mouse you the intuition is for clock rotation) but not for mouse. I also understand long time users may get used to current behavior we do not want to change. But is there anyway to make this (mouse only) behavior configurable option? TIA.

Last edited:

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
Personally Proscan is pretty good and trouble free to me

There is one thing I do not get used to is when click menu->knob, mouse down the menu scroll upward ... Pretty counter intuitive. I know we may get used to it eventually, due to because Proscan is just one of many windows application (that has nothing to do with scanner), it is hard to make this a unique adaptation without affecting else.

I understand the rationality Proscan behave so (especially if you use arrow key instead of mouse you prefer up is for clock rotation) so this is mouse only perception. I also understand long time user may get used to current behavior we do not want to change. But is there anyway to make this (mouse only) behavior configurable? TIA.
I think you are expecting the menu inverted line to move up and not down when rotating the ProScan virtual big knob in a clockwise direction. The ProScan virtual knobs behavior are exactly the same as the scanner knobs.
To demonstrate this: 1) Put the scanner in the menu mode 2) Turn the big knob on the scanner in a clockwise direction. You shall see the inverted line moves downward. 3) Turn the knobs in the ProScan virtual scanner by dragging the mouse cursor in a clockwise direction over the knob. The behavior of the ProScan knobs are exactly like scanner knobs.

Also, the Squelch and Volume knobs increases the squelch and volume by moving the knobs in a clockwise direction or using the up & right arrow keys.

{edit} Let me know if I missed the point.

Last edited:

Icanhearit

I think you are expecting the menu inverted line to move up and not down when rotating the ProScan virtual big knob clockwise. The ProScan virtual knobs behavior is the same as the scanner knobs.
To demonstrate this: 1) Put the scanner in the menu mode 2) Turn the big knob on the scanner in a clockwise direction. You shall see the inverted line moves downward. 3) Turn the knobs in the ProScan virtual scanner by dragging the mouse cursor in a clockwise direction over the knob. The behavior of the ProScan knobs are exactly like scanner knobs.

Also, the Squelch and Volume knobs increase the value by moving the knobs in a clockwise direction or using the up & right arrow keys.
In retrospective of what I typed, maybe I am not saying this clearly. I expect knob clockwise rotation makes the invert line down, no problem with that (never is my issue).

What I do not get used to, is when I use mouse to click the knob, I hope then when I scroll mouse wheel down -- as if when we scroll a webpage down, it will scroll knob clockwise (instead of counter-clockwise). at least be configurable. I'm surprised no one suggest this? As whoever I met with and ask them who never ever use the software. they have the same surprise reaction as me. I'm not talking about mouse dragging, but mouse wheel rotation.

(if use keypad arrow, I expected up is for clockwise rotation as now is, no change, my 1st post was just trying to say I understand why you initially make the mouse wheel move that way, to be consistent with keypad arrow, but some how when using mouse vs using keypad, people may have conflict intuitive reaction -- or maybe just me? in which case I need to buy lottery as I may beat the odd :))

Last edited:

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
In retrospective of what I typed, maybe I am not saying this clearly. I expect knob clockwise rotation makes the invert line down, no problem with that (never is my issue).

What I do not get used to, is when I use mouse to click the knob, I hope then when I scroll mouse wheel down -- as if when we scroll a webpage down, it will scroll knob clockwise (instead of counter-clockwise). at least be configurable. I'm surprised no one suggest this? As whoever I met with and ask them who never ever use the software. they have the same surprise reaction as me. I'm not talking about mouse dragging, but mouse wheel rotation.

(if use keypad arrow, I expected up is for clockwise rotation as now is, no change, my 1st post was just trying to say I understand why you initially make the mouse wheel move that way, to be consistent with keypad arrow, but some how when using mouse vs using keypad, people may have conflict intuitive reaction -- or maybe just me? in which case I need to buy lottery as I may beat the odd :))
Moving the mouse wheel in a upward direction turns the knobs in a clockwise direction.

Asuka2222

Banned
Banned
or maybe just me? in which case I need to buy lottery as I may beat the odd :))

Not just you, many people struggle with the issue, it's just something you put up with.

There is a reason as it follows the scanner if used manually, everyone I know screws up when using Proscan. Not perfect, but it works.

Icanhearit

majority of audio software (digitial studio) -- as I cannot claim all, the default action is wheel the mouse down, knob turns clock wise

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
majority of audio software (digitial studio) -- as I cannot claim all, the default action is wheel the mouse down, knob turns clock wise
I'm really receptive to suggestions. When they come in via email initially, they go to the top of the list.

Suggestions

If you have suggestions, send an email to support@proscan.org One suggestion per email. The advantage of email is that I can ask additional questions to make sure the suggestion is done right and send you the latest ProScan file with the suggestion implemented. Priority is given to suggestions received initially via email. Put "suggestion" or "request" in the Subject line.

All suggestions are prioritized with the following factors:
  • Promoting or recommending ProScan
  • I like it or I think others will like it
  • Time value benefit
  • Similar to another request or in the same category as another request so they can be done at the same time
  • Please keep the commentary and drama out. A simple suggestion or request is all that's needed
  • Some of my pet peeves that will cause a suggestion to get bumped down are:
    • Asking that your suggestion be done next or soon, or bumped up
    • Advising "I'll pay extra" or "I'll purchase another license"
    • Advising that "I think others will like it too"
    • Being pushy, rude, etc
    • Not to the point, or a long-winded posting

Last edited:

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
Right that is exactly what I say, is counter intuitive .
This is the 1st I've heard about the mouse wheel. I don't see how it's counter intuitive. Moving the mouse wheel in a upward direction when the volume knob is focused increases the volume.

Can you refer me to the audio software where "default action is wheel the mouse down, knob turns clock wise"

Icanhearit

This is the 1st I've heard about the mouse wheel. I don't see how it's counter intuitive. Moving the mouse wheel in a upward direction when the volume knob is focused increases the volume.

Can you refer me to the audio software where "default action is wheel the mouse down, knob turns clock wise"
you checkmated me, I just tried and see the Tonerboost and Meldaproduction bundle knob behave the same way as yours.

In reflecting why those not cause me confusion but Proscan does, I realize it is the "menu like" texted, associated with knob turning that makes me (and whomever I asked to try) ignore this is a knob anymore in that duration (unlike audio software, which just change effects, treble/base/volume etc). No wonder I mention this in my 1st post with mentioning "after click menu".

So it is your call to see if this one worth to be configurable, if so, is it adding more confusion in different context. As an embedded system engineer by profession, GUI is not my strong point, pretty much command line/vim/tmux/linux type of guy.

Logitect mouse program etc normally have a setting to set the wheel "traditional" or invert. but that affect the whole system.

Last edited:

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
you checkmated me, I just tried and see the Tonerboost and Meldaproduction bundle knob behave the same way as yours.

In reflecting why those not cause me confusion but Proscan do, I realize it is the "menu like" texted, associated with knob that makes me (and whomever I asked to try) ignore this is a knob (unlike audio software, just effec change). No wonder I mention this in my 1st post with mentioning "after click menu"

So it is your call to see if this one worth to be configurable, if so, is it adding more confusion in different context. As an embedded system engineer as profession, GUI is not my strong point, pretty much commandline/vim/tmux/linux type of guy.
No problem. Thanks for the update. Much appreciated.
As you know, the confusion is with the menu inverted line. When it moves down, it moves forward in the menu structure.

Not just you, many people struggle with the issue, it's just something you put up with.

There is a reason as it follows the scanner if used manually, everyone I know screws up when using Proscan. Not perfect, but it works.
Zero credibility.

Last edited:

KevinC

Big Dog...celebrating 10 years of abuse!
Super Moderator
Just goes to show how RR is backing the abusive behaviour of Proscan, 2 Messages deleted

Proscan is not a member on the board, he is just another user.

I chose to approve this one just so I could comment...

The only one being abusive is you. If you have an issue with the author of ProScan please take it up with him personally. But I have a feeling you won't do that because that's no fun.

And keep in mind that you are "just another user" as well.

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
So it is your call to see if this one worth to be configurable, if so, is it adding more confusion in different context.
No need for an option "Reverse Big Knob Direction" or "Reverse Mouse Wheel Direction" I think you'll be the only one using the option. If you have a channel on hold and you're scrolling through the channels. You'll be wondering why it's scrolling backwards or you're in Quick Search and you'll be wondering why the frequencies are decrementing. You forgot the option is on. After you turn the option off, you'll never use the option again.

Last edited:

Icanhearit

No need for an option "Reverse Big Knob Direction" or "Reverse Mouse Wheel Direction" I think you'll be the only one using the option. If you have a channel on hold and you're scrolling through the channels. You'll be wondering why it's scrolling backwards or you're in Quick Search and you'll be wondering why the frequencies are decrementing. You forgot the option is on. After you turn the option off, you'll never use the option again.
It is totally fine without it. As I mentioned, I understand the rational of current design, if I used the knob with keyboard, or use mouse to drag knob or wheel mouse to turn the knob other than during the menu selection, current design is intuitive.

It is only upon click menu, then wheel the mouse for menu selection, then confusion happened, as the computer (MS windoze of MACOS, Linux etc) menu selection instinct kicks in, overriding the after all we are just knob turning fact (therefore, we also not confuse if use physical knob during the device menu selection).

So I was not pushing for a generic reverse knob configuration, but wonder this "during the menu selection period" effect.

Without much thought, my gut feeling is Proscan sends "menu click command", intercepts and decodes serial output to display, it does not maintain "now we enter menu state" as firmware has to do. If so, supporting this state-specific knob behavior start to get complicated and not really worth the effort. I'm totally fine as is and understand the decision.

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
It is totally fine without it. As I mentioned, I understand the rational of current design, if I used the knob with keyboard, or use mouse to drag knob or wheel mouse to turn the knob other than during the menu selection, current design is intuitive.

It is only upon click menu, then wheel the mouse for menu selection, then confusion happened, as the computer (MS windoze of MACOS, Linux etc) menu selection instinct kicks in, overriding the after all we are just knob turning fact (therefore, we also not confuse if use physical knob during the device menu selection).

So I was not pushing for a generic reverse knob configuration, but wonder this "during the menu selection period" effect.

Without much thought, my gut feeling is Proscan sends "menu click command", intercepts and decodes serial output to display, it does not maintain "now we enter menu state" as firmware has to do. If so, supporting this state-specific knob behavior start to get complicated and not really worth the effort. I'm totally fine as is and understand the decision.
OK Thanks. It's just when the menu inverted line moves downward, it's moving forward in the menu structure. I'm real sure Uniden made the right call on this.

JohnDistai

As a GUI person, it would be nice if you could click on the menu item or a downward arrow within the menu listing to scroll down. Perhaps there's something I'm missing.