JohnDistai

Question about something I'm experiencing - I'm running ProScan 18.2.1 using Windows 10 (MacBook Bootcamp). Four instances are running, each from a different directory. The computer is connected to each scanner and logging traffic.

I step away from the computer to allow traffic to log awhile, perhaps a few hours, perhaps overnight. I return and all the ProScan instances are closed. It's happened several times now. I'm trying to figure out what's going on. Any ideas what's happening and how to fix it?

Icanhearit

Perhaps there's something I'm missing.
I was specifically and strictly referring to during the menu selection, using mouse middle wheel to scroll (instead of using keypad arrorw key or using mouse drag the knob), proscan properly mimics knob turning (wheel up to turn knob clockwise the inverted menu scroll down)

But during this special visual perception period, windows GUI intuitive prevail, for windows, scroll wheel up result in selected inverted menu item going up. vice versa.

To reiterate I understand the rational with proscan default behavior, and the hidden complication if adding such menu press time specail mouse wheel configurable option (which requires proscan to track scanner state, to know it is menu activation period, esp user can press menu from keypad directly , no always via proscan). remain as is is totally fine.

JohnDistai

Okay, I understand what you're saying. Once you're in the software, you're no longer in the scanner, you're in a new environment. You expect behavior consistent with the environment you are in (Windows). Up and down arrows would be appropriate, as would the scroll wheel (like you describe).

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
As a GUI person, it would be nice if you could click on the menu item or a downward arrow within the menu listing to scroll down. Perhaps there's something I'm missing.
I believe the arrow keys are exactly right in ProScan. Use the big knob for other things such as holding on to a channel and watch the channels go backwards when using the down arrow key or put the scanner in Quick Search mode and watch the frequencies decrement using the down arrow key. The only issue is the menu inverted line movement. When the inverted line moves up, the menu is moving in a backwards direction.
Okay, I understand what you're saying. Once you're in the software, you're no longer in the scanner, you're in a new environment. You expect behavior consistent with the environment you are in (Windows). Up and down arrows would be appropriate, as would the scroll wheel (like you describe).
ProScan works exactly like the scanner as far as the knob direction and mouse wheel. No wires are crossed here.
{edit} Moving the mouse wheel in a forward direction moves the menu in a forward direction.

To reiterate I understand the rational with proscan default behavior, and the hidden complication if adding such menu press time specail mouse wheel configurable option (which requires proscan to track scanner state, to know it is menu activation period, esp user can press menu from keypad directly , no always via proscan). remain as is is totally fine.
At the bottom in the status box, it shows MODE: MENU so ProScan does know when the scanner is in menu mode. However making the menu inverted line move in the opposite direction is wrong. When the inverted line moves in a downward direction, it move in a forward direction in the menu structure.

I think the same argument can be made by moving the big knob on the scanner. "Why does rotating the knob clockwise scroll down?"

JohnDistai

I think the same argument can be made by moving the big knob on the scanner. "Why does rotating the knob clockwise scroll down?"

I don't have a dog in this fight. GUI design is my weekday job, and this is the weekend. It's your software, design it how you see fit.

Please see post #7,102 in this thread. I do have a dog in that one. Will you please provide some assistance as to why the instances are running one moment, and gone the next? Thanks!

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
I don't have a dog in this fight. GUI design is my weekday job, and this is the weekend. It's your software, design it how you see fit.
I think you are confusing moving forward in the menu with the inverted line moving down as it should and not up. Look at the scanner GUI. I don't think you read my post #7105 and the point I was making. Use the big knob for other functions besides then menu and then use the arrow keys. Maybe you will see light at the end of the tunnel.
Please see post #7,102 in this thread. I do have a dog in that one. Will you please provide some assistance as to why the instances are running one moment, and gone the next? Thanks!
The best way to resolve any issues or bugs is by email. When I receive the report initially by email, I'll send test files until fixed.

Last edited:

JohnDistai

I think you are confusing moving forward in the menu with the inverted line moving down as it should and not up. Look at the scanner GUI. I don't think you read my post #7105 and the point I was making. Use the big knob for other functions besides then menu and then use the arrow keys. Maybe you will see light at the end of the tunnel.

The best way to resolve any issues or bugs is by email. When I receive the report initially by email, I'll send test files until fixed.
Okay, I will. I have an "unactivated" version of Windows (transferred from my Parallels virtual machine), so I wasn't sure which was the culprit.

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
Question about something I'm experiencing - I'm running ProScan 18.2.1 using Windows 10 (MacBook Bootcamp). Four instances are running, each from a different directory. The computer is connected to each scanner and logging traffic.

I step away from the computer to allow traffic to log awhile, perhaps a few hours, perhaps overnight. I return and all the ProScan instances are closed. It's happened several times now. I'm trying to figure out what's going on. Any ideas what's happening and how to fix it?
I didn't read this carefully before. You're using MacBook Bootcamp. If this was happening on a Win machine then it could be a bug. ProScan only supports Windows so I can't send you test files in this case. All I can offer is try reverting back to the version that worked before. Also if this just started to happen then see if any system changes.

belvdr

No longer interested in living
Okay, I will. I have an "unactivated" version of Windows (transferred from my Parallels virtual machine), so I wasn't sure which was the culprit.
Running on unactivated Windows won't affect it.
I didn't read this carefully before. You're using MacBook Bootcamp. If this was happening on a Win machine then it could be a bug. ProScan only supports Windows so I can't send you test files in this case. All I can offer is try reverting back to the version that worked before. Also if this just started to happen then see if any system changes.
Bootcamp is nothing more than running Windows natively on Mac hardware. It simply refers to the method of how Apple injects the drivers for the Windows installation, so he is running ProScan on Windows.

JohnDistai

Bootcamp is nothing more than Apple's dual-boot partition version of a boot selection during BIOS Post on startup. So I'm running on Windows, essentially.

This was my first time getting ProScan to work well after getting rid of Parallels, so I don't have any useful previous experience to base on. While using Parallels, I was lucky to even get the thing to connect to program my scanners, let alone do any logging with it. It works great now, except when I set up logging, leave things unattended, and come back to find my ProScan instances closed.

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
Bootcamp is nothing more than Apple's dual-boot partition version of a boot selection during BIOS Post on startup. So I'm running on Windows, essentially.

This was my first time getting ProScan to work well after getting rid of Parallels, so I don't have any useful previous experience to base on. While using Parallels, I was lucky to even get the thing to connect to program my scanners, let alone do any logging with it. It works great now, except when I set up logging, leave things unattended, and come back to find my ProScan instances closed.
I'll let others using ProScan with MacBook Bootcamp chime in on their experiences. I have no idea what could be causing the issue other than perhaps a video driver causing some type of conflict.

{edit} What type of processor in the MacBook?

{edit2} For a test, run another instance with the comm port set to None and another with ProScan minimized so not to use graphic and see if those instances are crashing.

Last edited:

Chris0516

So then program the NXDN system and see what happens. If you have trouble after actually trying it for yourself, then come back and ask your questions.
Here is an example of a few NXDN I tried to program:

WRDB309 NORTH CAROLINA, STATE OFCentral Prison, Raleigh3/19/2029453.0500453.2625453.4875453.7375453.9500458.0500458.2625458.4875458.7375458.9500
WRDB308 NORTH CAROLINA, STATE OFNCCIW Raleigh3/19/2029453.1625453.4125453.8125458.1625458.4125458.8125
WRDX975 NORTH CAROLINA, STATE OFWake CC, Raleigh8/17/2029155.7750158.8200

But I don't think I got the CC's right. Because, They aren't showing up in Proscan.

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber

WRDB309 NORTH CAROLINA, STATE OFCentral Prison, Raleigh3/19/2029453.0500453.2625453.4875453.7375453.9500458.0500458.2625458.4875458.7375458.9500
WRDB308 NORTH CAROLINA, STATE OFNCCIW Raleigh3/19/2029453.1625453.4125453.8125458.1625458.4125458.8125

But I don't think I got the CC's right. Because, They aren't showing up in Proscan.

There was a problem importing (using the Get Clipboard function) all the frequencies that ended with "c" or "a". It was fixed a few weeks ago and will be in the next release.

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber

You're using the Get Clipboard function. Right? Do any of the frequencies show in ProScan?

Chris0516

You're using the Get Clipboard function. Right? Do any of the frequencies show in ProScan?
I did use 'Get Clipboard'. But, I think the info available to the Clipboard. May have been lacking, So no fault of Proscan. Even though the data is from the RR page for the NCDPS. None of the #'s had an 'a' or "CC'. So I was guessing from the spacing of the frequencies.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
I did use 'Get Clipboard'. But, I think the info available to the Clipboard. May have been lacking, So no fault of Proscan. Even though the data is from the RR page for the NCDPS. None of the #'s had an 'a' or "CC'. So I was guessing from the spacing of the frequencies.
Where are you getting that list from? That doesn't look like a listing in the RRDB, but rather a list of frequencies from FCC licenses.

Post the link to the page you're seeing those on.