SDS100/SDS200 Tax Day Update (1.10.00)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ubbe

It is the european ditributor Avery who decides when they want to spend money on an update for the E version. And that's not gonna happen until a US firmware version has been out for a month without any major faults. I think it's only been something like two euro updates since the release of the SDS100E scanner so it could be a waiting period to after this summer until an update are considered. To be honest I don't know why they actually decided to have a special E version as the selling point of a SDS100 are its simulcast capability, and those system types doesn't exist in EU or perhaps there could be on or two experimental systems.

/Ubbe

mrkelso

I updated my first out of 3 machines. After the update i have to adjust all my filters and my machine is sounding Beautiful!! i am so pleased. I have 2 more 200's i will do in the morning. Thanks Upman and team. Keep up the good work. Oh and FYI those filters work great when and if you need them.

KC1UA

Scan New England Janitor/Maintenance
Database Admin
Paul, could you please consider giving us a quicker path to the filter settings in a future firmware update if possible. There's got to be an easier way than the current drill-down to the department level.

Also, any chance of this filtering becoming a per channel option? What may work well for one channel within a department may not be so nifty for another.

Many thanks for the ongoing support.

kruser

Premium Subscriber
Paul, could you please consider giving us a quicker path to the filter settings in a future firmware update if possible. There's got to be an easier way than the current drill-down to the department level.

Also, any chance of this filtering becoming a per channel option? What may work well for one channel within a department may not be so nifty for another.

Many thanks for the ongoing support.

I agree on both points.
Finding the correct filter using real world signals can be a chore when needing to wade through the menus to change it. Of course I look for the very noticeable change when trying filters but when working with weaker signals, the test signal I'm using can change by the time I go in, change filter and back back out for the test.

Also the need for different filters at the channel level. I too see where some channels need a different filter than others. I suppose the "like" channels could just go into a new department which can then use a different filter. This would probably work for the most part. Having a separate filter setting for each channel could have an impact on speed with scanning as it may have an impact when the added data needs to be read each time. This is just a guess but I'd think at some point, there must be a breaking point where adding more things to a channel will impact performance somewhere.

Otherwise, I agree with the others that another Thank You is in order for making all this possible Paul.

AA6IO

Premium Subscriber
Upgraded to 1.10.00. Maybe a bit better on analog. Have to play with filters. Wide normal seems to work quite well. Overall, really like the 100 and 200. Main problem is still LA Sheriff in 480 Mhz range, which gets hammered by intermod from other LASD stations. It is what it is. I do appreciate all the effort by Uniden in trying to optimize these scanners. Love the colored displays on 100 and 200. Both will be going on a road trip with me through Northern and Central California in a couple of weeks.
Now entertaining thoughts of picking up a second 200.

kruser

Premium Subscriber
Upgraded to 1.10.00. Maybe a bit better on analog. Have to play with filters. Wide normal seems to work quite well. Overall, really like the 100 and 200. Main problem is still LA Sheriff in 480 Mhz range, which gets hammered by intermod from other LASD stations. It is what it is. I do appreciate all the effort by Uniden in trying to optimize these scanners. Love the colored displays on 100 and 200. Both will be going on a road trip with me through Northern and Central California in a couple of weeks.
Now entertaining thoughts of picking up a second 200.

For the intermod problem, have you tried using the IFX Exchange feature on those 480 MHz channels?
I had issues with intermod from the local NOAA transmitter getting into other VHF channels. The IFX feature fixed it.
I never had to use the IFX feature until the SDS series came out but it does appear to help. It's worth a shot if you have not tried it.

belvdr

No longer interested in living
Applied this update last night. Local PD and FD on Ohio MARCS used to be choppy in my building. Now it's clear and so is the analog VHF coming from a nearby community.

I'm even picking up UHF from an airport that I never received before.

bravo14

Premium Subscriber
In both sds 1/200 not able to pick railroad I’m like 2 miles from the yard. I was able to pick them up on the x36 at the time. When I first got the 200 the first fw came with it was able to hear railroad I tried all filters nothing helped. I do hear a ltr system again with this fw. The ltr audio on both is very very low have to crank up the vol to like 12-15 to hear them. The analog 800 public safety audio is low but not as like the ltr audio. Once before on the 800 sys vol had set at 1 was so loud.

AA6IO

Premium Subscriber
Kruser, IFX does help Thanks for advice. Can IFX be set in Sentinel somewhere for separate channels? Don't see IFX settings in Sentinel.

Reactions: RRR

garys

Premium Subscriber
A couple of things I've noticed with the new update.

Analog UHF, VHF, and even 800 Mhz reception are better. Even relatively weak signals are copyable.

OTOH, DMR and NXDN voice are a bit odd. On a busy MotoTrbo 900Mhz Con+ system, sometimes I'll see a TG become active, but have no audio. That seems to happen mostly with signals of two bars or less, but sometimes audio will be fine with one bar on one site, but absent with two or even three bars on another site. All of the sites in the system have the digital threshold set to Manual 9.

None of the three NXDN trunk systems I listen to are that busy, but it appears to be similar on them.

I know that there was a problem with a previous software version, but I don't recall if that was a setting or required a software fix. If someone can point me to the thread where that was discussed, I'd appreciate it.

Finally, turning on the SDS200 in my truck desenses the FM broadcast reception on my broadcast radio. That's a JVC, so I might just be stuck with a little loss in sensitivity.

Other than that, everything seems fine with this update.

I should add that my 436HP works fine with the same settings.

Last edited:

kruser

Premium Subscriber
All of the sites in the system have the digital threshold set to Manual 9.

Are you sure your in the correct thread for this? The SDS series do not have the Manual digital threshold setting that prior models have.
They use "Filters" now.
If you did not change your Model Type in Sentinel to an SDS model, it will still show the old Manual Digital Threshold settings but they do not apply to the SDS models.

Finally, turning on the SDS200 in my truck desenses the FM broadcast reception on my broadcast radio. That's a JVC, so I might just be stuck with a little loss in sensitivity.

This is the first I've heard of this. I would not think it is desensing anything as the SDS models would never put out a signal that strong unless you are maybe sharing an antenna with the JVC somehow. Explain more on this if you can.

garys

Premium Subscriber
Are you sure your in the correct thread for this? The SDS series do not have the Manual digital threshold setting that prior models have.
They use "Filters" now.
If you did not change your Model Type in Sentinel to an SDS model, it will still show the old Manual Digital Threshold settings but they do not apply to the SDS models.

I didn't realize that. I use ARC536 for most of my editing. Which doesn't seem to have a "Target Model" option as does Sentinel. So, the question is should I use a different setting that "Normal" which is what my Global setting is?

This is the first I've heard of this. I would not think it is desensing anything as the SDS models would never put out a signal that strong unless you are maybe sharing an antenna with the JVC somehow. Explain more on this if you can.

No, no antenna sharing. The SDS is mounted to the console about 8 inches below where the JVC is mounted in the dash. The antenna cables aren't near each other either.

kruser

Premium Subscriber
I didn't realize that. I use ARC536 for most of my editing. Which doesn't seem to have a "Target Model" option as does Sentinel. So, the question is should I use a different setting that "Normal" which is what my Global setting is?

No, no antenna sharing. The SDS is mounted to the console about 8 inches below where the JVC is mounted in the dash. The antenna cables aren't near each other either.

On problem frequencies or systems, try different filter settings which will not use the Global setting once set. You can always go back to Global if you want. For quick testing, it may be easier to change the Global filters knowing that not all your systems are likely to use what worked. Once you find one that works better, change the filter for just that favorite and put the Global setting back to Normal.
The per system and Global filters can both be changed in the radios menus if you don't want to use Sentinel.
Have you updated your copy of ARC536 lately? I know Gommert has been working on new versions to better handle the SDS models.

Most users are seeing different results with the filter settings so it's better for the user to try them and see see what works best for them. What's working for one person may not work for another basically.

That is odd about the SDS200 wiping out your FM radio. I wonder if anyone else has seen this problem. If the SDS200's are putting out a strong enough signal to kill FM broadcast reception, I'd think something is seriously wrong with one or the other!
Please post back if you ever figure this one out.

garys

Premium Subscriber
I'll try the filter settings with the one Con+ system first and see if that helps. If it does, I'll experiment with the others.

Gommert does a good job updating. I'm running the latest build of ARC536Pro. No "Target Model" setting, at least that I can see. When I look at the site settings, both Digital Threshold and Filter are available. I'll play with the filter settings and see if that work.

Thanks.

kruser

Premium Subscriber
I'll try the filter settings with the one Con+ system first and see if that helps. If it does, I'll experiment with the others.

Gommert does a good job updating. I'm running the latest build of ARC536Pro. No "Target Model" setting, at least that I can see. When I look at the site settings, both Digital Threshold and Filter are available. I'll play with the filter settings and see if that work.

Thanks.

Okay, at least he does give you the option to chose but I guess he is leaving it up to the user to know which model they are working with.
I'm sure that is much easier on him! Yep, I've not used my different ARC software in a while so I'm a bit slow with what Gommert is all doing. I can only go by what I read here in the forums. At least you are on top of it!

Good luck with the filters.

garys

Premium Subscriber
Thanks. I'll be in the truck some over the next couple of days, so I'll try different settings. It's nice that I can load different configurations on various SD cards and see what works.

Okay, at least he does give you the option to chose but I guess he is leaving it up to the user to know which model they are working with.
I'm sure that is much easier on him! Yep, I've not used my different ARC software in a while so I'm a bit slow with what Gommert is all doing. I can only go by what I read here in the forums. At least you are on top of it!

Good luck with the filters.

Status
Not open for further replies.