Ventura County moving to 7/800 Phase I P25 trunking system by 2020

Opfor2

my thoughts

One of the issues that I see is Ventura County has many small cities that really can't afford to purchases new subscriber units and become part of the county wide system without a federal grants. So if the county's dream is that all cities become part of the system than I bet they will have to wait a long while.

Simi PD just switched over to their Uhf system about 10 years ago, and I really don't see them moving to a 700 Mhz system any time soon.

Dan..

Engine104

Member since 2005
There's been talk here-and-there about LA-RICS costing too much money in the long haul. I'm just hoping the delays continue, or else I'll be forced to move out of LA County. I can't see myself living somewhere where I can't openly listen to P/S comms.

That aside, has VC done any feasibility studies to show that this 700 system will operate better than VHF, especially in the hilly, wooded areas of the county? Plus, VHF is just so much easier with portable repeaters, compatible equipment, cost savings, and INTEROPERABILITY. But I guess they'll have the dual-band radios for that.

Maybe we'll get lucky and they will only encrypt LE comms and keep FD in the clear.. Fingers crossed

EMTJD

Maybe we'll get lucky and they will only encrypt LE comms and keep FD in the clear.. Fingers crossed

That’s exactly what Orange County did. All law enforcement (with the exception of CHP, which remains on the same system it’s had for decades) went full encrypted. Fire, of course, still “in the clear”. Personally, I can’t see any reason why they’d want to encrypt Fire. Even for EMS purposes, any “sensitive information”, such as patient identification info, would be done over cell phone or MDT.

EMTJD

So I am a novice scanner user. What is this gong to mean to me? I mainly listen to SVPD and VCFD. Once in a while VCSO, but since I am on Far East end of Simi I don’t hear them that well. I am using a uniden bcd436hp.

Thanks for the help!

I’m in east Simi, as well (just south of Cochran and just west of Yosemite). Although I like listening to Simi PD, it won’t break my heart of that goes away. My primary need is for Fire and I can’t see ANY of that being encrypted.

I’m using both the 436 and the 536. Don’t really listen to VCSO as they patrol such a small area at the east end of Simi that it’s not worth it for me to listen to them.

LZJSR

Premium Subscriber
I heard testing last Saturday morning on Talkgroup 99 at 0850 hrs.

It was Station 1 (VCSO ) was testing with VCFD and all of the law enforcement agencies in the county on a radio check.

Engine104

Member since 2005
That’s exactly what Orange County did. All law enforcement (with the exception of CHP, which remains on the same system it’s had for decades) went full encrypted. Fire, of course, still “in the clear”. Personally, I can’t see any reason why they’d want to encrypt Fire. Even for EMS purposes, any “sensitive information”, such as patient identification info, would be done over cell phone or MDT.

I hope you're right... Check the thread on the new OrCo system on here. They could encrypt FD as well. LE has been encrypted in OrCo for 15 years now.

FLMedia

Has anyone heard any more voice traffic on this system lately? I've had my scanner on and haven't heard anything yet.

LZJSR

Premium Subscriber
Ventura County fire using 700Mhz now for communications with CHP Ventura in regards to the Hill Brush Fire now burning in Camarillo/Newbury Park.

kearthfan101

Premium Subscriber
Ventura County fire using 700Mhz now for communications with CHP Ventura in regards to the Hill Brush Fire now burning in Camarillo/Newbury Park.

Any talkgroups noted and if it is on site 1 or 2?

kj6psg

I've left DSDPlus running on this system (site 1, but traffic appears to go over both) overnight. They did a roll call this morning (11/24/2018), and I heard County Sheriff, County Fire, Ventura Police, Oxnard Police, Port Hueneme Police, Simi Valley Police (roll call initiator), and CSUCI. There were some others in the roll call, but decode wasn't great for some reason. Activity was on channels 1-1324 and 1-1334 (770.28125 and 770.34375), talkgroup 99, in P25 Phase I unencrypted. 1-1404 / 770.78125 has only carried BSSI identification.

I also heard some traffic on the system before I had things set up, it appeared to be on the same LCNs. If you leave a scanner up long enough, you'll hear something (probably within 12 hours), but there isn't much.

kearthfan101

Premium Subscriber
I've left DSDPlus running on this system (site 1, but traffic appears to go over both) overnight. They did a roll call this morning (11/24/2018), and I heard County Sheriff, County Fire, Ventura Police, Oxnard Police, Port Hueneme Police, Simi Valley Police (roll call initiator), and CSUCI. There were some others in the roll call, but decode wasn't great for some reason. Activity was on channels 1-1324 and 1-1334 (770.28125 and 770.34375), talkgroup 99, in P25 Phase I unencrypted. 1-1404 / 770.78125 has only carried BSSI identification.

I also heard some traffic on the system before I had things set up, it appeared to be on the same LCNs. If you leave a scanner up long enough, you'll hear something (probably within 12 hours), but there isn't much.

What’s your location? Any insight as to whether any other sites are set up? (Not including Site 2 Rocketdyne). Thanks in advance.

kj6psg

What’s your location? Any insight as to whether any other sites are set up? (Not including Site 2 Rocketdyne). Thanks in advance.

I'm in Ventura. Both systems aren't easy to receive (1 comes in about -107dBm to my receiver, 2 around -112), so I imagine they have a limited number of sites up. I haven't noticed any simulcast flutter.