Just got a pro 164 need some assistance regarding its features

Hello everyone thank you for reading this i just got a pro 164 and it came with the rubber duck antenna got a diamond rh77ca antenna as a upgrade heard it does good for police scanning and how would i do for armature bands would it be a upgrade im familiar with scanners seems like the 164 covers alot of ham radio frequency's would like to hear others opinions on this matter the main question is i know i can tag frequency's names for each frequency's a believe its called alpha tagging would like to know if i could use that so far enjoying the scanner would be cool if i could name all my freelances the manual was confusing still dont know how to use the trunking thanks to anyone that helps

Last edited:

tvengr

Well Known Member
Welcome to the Radio Reference Forums! There aren't that many analog trunking systems in use. What is your city, county, and state? Do you have a programming cable? It is far faster and easier to use programming software than to program manually through the scanner menus. Using the Butel ARC300 software, you can type the alpha tags in using your computer keyboard. Knowing your location, I will be able to look up what is available to scan in your area.

Whiskey3JMC

DXpeditioner, RRDB & Google-fu ninja 4 hire
Premium Subscriber
i just got a pro 164 and it came with the rubber duck antenna got a diamond rh77ca antenna as a upgrade heard it does good for police scanning
Yes, please reply back with your location so we can get eyes on the database to see if the Pro 164 is the right tool for the job

mainly asking about the diamond antenna how it does and how to do alpha tagging workers if i can name any frequency the manual says you can i apricate you answering about the trunking

DVINTHEHOUSEMAN

Up North
Alpha tagging is basically naming a frequency programmed into a channel on your radio. The manual should give you insight on how to do that. Also, your location would help determine whether the radio will work with any sort of trunking systems in your area.