KSP Discussion Thread

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
Are you able to get closer to the transmitter and give it a try there?

Any issues with receiving weather which might suggest your scanner is "on the fritz"?

BC2001

Jesse
Are you able to get closer to the transmitter and give it a try there?

Any issues with receiving weather which might suggest your scanner is "on the fritz"?
Yeah, I forgot to mention that. I have been in Asher's Fork before and was able to pick it up much better there. As for the weather, I suppose it's possible, but I can pick up other nearby and distant transmitters even when I can't pick up Asher's Fork tower.

Right now, I am hearing the Liggett (Harlan County) transmitter fairly good. But even that doesn't pick up reliably most of the time.

Remington12G

GØT AES?
A request for bid (RFB) was issued by The Commonwealth's Facilities & Support Services Department. It mentions KSP in the title so I thought It might be worth posting. I don't really have any other information on it.

1618463281920.png

Last edited:

KG4EMJ

Hello Everyone,

I have received information that over the next 5 years Kentucky State Police and current users of the UHF Radio system will be moving to 800MHz P25 Trunked. Before anyone starts saying this is unlikely and not true I can assure you it is. Attached to this message is a photo from the Justice and Public Safety Cabinet Projects General Fund.

From what I understand Motorola APX 8000's have already been purchased and before any tower building and controller distribution happens they want to purchase all the subscriber equipment as well as network controller equipment. When towers start going up and applications are being filed it will be close to the cut-over date. A lot of work needs to be done in Eastern KY on towers and sites before anything starts changing completely.

I have been told encryption will be used on the system, to the extent I am not sure.

View attachment 98752

View attachment 98753

A friend of mine who is involved in KSP dispatch and fire fighting in western KY was talking to me about this project back in April of 2021. He said that what they told them is to expect a switchover sooner rather than later. I guess we'll see....

Obviously this also means that the end of monitoring KSP is nigh. This hobby continues to shrink every year due to technology.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
I don't think "sooner" is in Kentucky state government's vocabulary, unless it is the caption below a snail.

Part of me agrees that monitoring KSP days are numbered because they do like to keep things to themselves. On the other hand they've gotten some bad press about the lack of transparency. So possibly a little encryption and a little clear transmissions would be nice.

RIVER_5

ÆS LØVER
Western KY is the starting point for the new 7/800 system. Deployment of the new GTR Repeaters, shelter equipment, and the 3 new towers will be over the next 12 to 16 months in Post 1 and Post 2 districts.

If they are planning on switching sooner than later than 7/800 licenses should start to appear in the FCC ULS soon.

Also, KSP just issued the final replacement bid erecting 3 new towers in the Post 1 and 2 districts and updating shelter equipment at WHFRTC.

alky1234

Ø
Feed Provider
Western KY is the starting point for the new 7/800 system. Deployment of the new GTR Repeaters, shelter equipment, and the 3 new towers will be over the next 12 to 16 months in Post 1 and Post 2 districts.

If they are planning on switching sooner than later than 7/800 licenses should start to appear in the FCC ULS soon.

Also, KSP just issued the final replacement bid erecting 3 new towers in the Post 1 and 2 districts and updating shelter equipment at WHFRTC.

99% of this system will be 700 MHz and frequencies are already known.... It appears the state will have a statewide 700 MHz license issued by the FCC and frequency use will be determined by the states frequency coordinators... The GTR racks that are already in have the frequencies already labelled on them...

kib669

Here are the details on the new towers.

The Kentucky State Police is proposing to erect three (3) new communications towers in Western Kentucky. The site names are 2-13 Webster County DOT, 1-7 Ballard County Jail, and 1-9 Art’s Oasis. The new structure at 2-13 Webster County DOT will be a 195’ tall latticed steel self-supporting tower designed to accommodate a future 55’ extension. The new structures at 1-7 Ballard County Jail and 1-9 Art’s Oasis will be 250’ tall latticed steel self-supporting towers designed to accommodate future 50’ extensions. All new tower sites will require a new equipment shelter, generator, and propane tank. The Kentucky State Police is also proposing to install a new equipment shelter at an existing site named 2-12 Wendell H Ford. The existing 190’ tall latticed steel self-supporting tower requires structural modifications to increase the capacity of the tower. This project involves installing structural foundations, erecting towers and installing tower modifications, installing all necessary site components, and completing all exterior improvements per the project drawings. The new tower steel and hardware, equipment shelters, generators, and automatic transfer switches (ATS) will be provided by the Kentucky State Police. The contractor is responsible for the transportation and delivery of all site components to the project locations. The contractor is responsible for the coordination of delivery and receipt of the new tower steel and hardware from the tower manufacturer.

For Post 1, based on this info and what was in the Marshall County proposal here are the sites for the new system:
1) Farmington on existing KET tower (antenna @ 440ft)
2) "Montgomery" on existing WKMS tower @ LBL (antenna @ 340ft)
3) Paducah on existing KET tower (antenna @ 380ft)
4) Salem on existing tower (Lockhart Bluff(antenna @ 90ft)
5) MSU Fine Arts Center (new location not on current UHF system antenna @ 125ft)
6) Ballard County Jail new tower replacing old site at weight station (antenna @ 250ft)
7) Art's Oasis (Trigg County) replacing site on water tank (antenna @ 250ft)
8) Clinton on existing KEWS tower (antenna @ 280ft)
9) Think they will need something around Hickman in Fulton County

For Post 2, based on this info and existing sites
1) St. Charles on existing KET tower
2) Marion on existing KEWS tower
3) Sacramento on existing KEWS tower
4) Allegre (Todd County) on existing KEWS tower
5) Pleasant Hill (Christian County) on existing KEWS tower
6) Morganfield on existing KEWS tower
7) Dixon new tower at DOT location (antenna @ 195ft)
8) Greenville upgraded tower at Wendell H Ford Training Center (antenna @ 190ft)

A request for bid (RFB) was issued by The Commonwealth's Facilities & Support Services Department. It mentions KSP in the title so I thought It might be worth posting. I don't really have any other information on it.

View attachment 102275

KG4EMJ

Since the B channel is the primarily dispatch channel encrypting it would basically end monitoring KSP.

Yep. At that point the only remaining agencies I'll still hear will be my local county EMS and Fire. Our law enforcement already went encrypted years ago with the switch to NXDN.

Been enjoying this hobby for 31 years now. I guess I should be surprised it's held on this long with tech advancing the way it has.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
I know KSP likes to keep their cards pretty close to their vests and encryption is a valid concern. On the other hand, local law enforcement can be the closest help to a trooper in trouble. Being unable to keep up with going going could be an issue. I can also see a big flap happening if there is a pursuit and agencies not being in sync with what is going on. Such as the termination of a pursuit that the other agency was encrypted out of hearing and a bad crash happening.

scannerboy02

Premium Subscriber
99% of this system will be 700 MHz and frequencies are already known.... It appears the state will have a statewide 700 MHz license issued by the FCC and frequency use will be determined by the states frequency coordinators... The GTR racks that are already in have the frequencies already labelled on them...
I am interested in knowing more about this statewide 700 MHz license. The Commonwealth of Kentucky canceled the SL 'State License' they had back in 2014. It's my understanding that the FCC is no longer issuing new statewide licenses for 700 MHz, that ship sailed when they canceled the SL they were given. I was told they tried using "statewide" licensed frequencies for the Norther Kentucky trunking system and were told no. If they do get a new statewide 700 MHz license that would be very interesting to me.

k4ktr

Premium Subscriber
I know KSP likes to keep their cards pretty close to their vests and encryption is a valid concern. On the other hand, local law enforcement can be the closest help to a trooper in trouble. Being unable to keep up with going going could be an issue. I can also see a big flap happening if there is a pursuit and agencies not being in sync with what is going on. Such as the termination of a pursuit that the other agency was encrypted out of hearing and a bad crash happening.
most agency's cant talk to ksp now ksp dispatch relays info back and forth no direct communication

pjscott51

Premium Subscriber
The Digital Threshold Mode is set to Auto and the Digital Threshold Level is set to 8.

When I double click on both Thresholds I'm taken to the Department Name screen. I don't see anything that can be changed.

Thanks for replying,

Paul

pjscott51

Premium Subscriber
I'm at Auto 8 here in Louisville.

What is meant by "Double Click"? In Sentinel or scanner?
Double click within Sentinel. When I was asked what is my Threshold set to for KSP I took it as if there were other options to select other than Auto or 8. That's why I Double click on the Digital Threshold Mode Auto and the Digital Threshold Level to see if there was something to select other than an 8 or Auto.

For the most part I leave the settings to the default.

Thanks,

Paul

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
I tried to replicate this and was unable to do so. What I see when looking at Sentinel, was in editing the Favorites List in the System part for KSP, I go to the options tab. I see those settings as a dropdown/combo box with various choices.