KSP Discussion Thread

FD101

Premium Subscriber
I'm not hearing any Post 12 traffic today. Hmm... did they switch over to the new system?
No.

These systems don’t get build overnight. Scott County issued a RFP in January of 2018 and didn’t go live until January of 2020, that being only 5 select agencies, all Law Enforcement. Fire followed months later, mid/late 2020, and all public service agencies joined in 2021.

These systems are very complex, and, require weeks even months of development and testing for a single site. Covering the entire state in 7/800 sites is tricky.

Last edited:

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
Anyone been hearing KSP at the Kentucky State Fair this year? I haven't heard them on 154.92D as I have in previous years. . .

pjscott51

Premium Subscriber
I monitored KSP all day yesterday and I never heard anything fair related, including last nights disturbance. If I remember correctly I think KSP used LMPD's encrypted radios during the riots. I wonder if this is the reason we can hear anything going on at the fair?

BigLebowski

Premium Subscriber
It looks like I may be coming up to the eastern KY area at some point later this year for business. I have skimmed through the 30 pages of this thread and I think I have a basic understanding of how KSP does things, but can someone school an outsider on this? Very different than our statewide and local trunked systems that we use.

If, for example, I am going to Boyd County/Ashland I ideally would want to program all of the B/A sites for Post 14 with 14B being dispatch and 14A being alternate? Could I probably get by with the just Ashland sites if I am only going to be in Ashland?

I see 453.300 $289 is "Tac 3" and specified as a car-car as well as Air-Ground, but I also see 460.250 $211 is listed as Air-Ground. Is there a name of that channel?

Are the VHF F1-F3 only programmed in portables or do they actually have VHF mobiles too? I know the extender frequency wouldn't be in a mobile but F2 and F3 as well as KLEEN and Intercity...

Would be nice to get ahold of an offical radio template and see how all this is actually programmed into the zones.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
If you will be only in Ashland, then you can get away with just the Ashland tower A/B frequencies for Post 14.

453.300 does a lot of things. It is KSP tac channel on digital as well as a UHF mutual aid frequency. I've never heard anything on 460.250. I suspect its there for airborne speed enforcement, which is rarely if ever done.

VHF is portable only. They do have some fixed VHF repeaters, such as at the fairgrounds. Possibly mobile command posts for big incidents the could happen anywhere.

I'd say the RR database has KSP laid out as good as it gets.

BC2001

Jesse
I keep hearing "code 2000" being used. Can't seem to find out what it means here online. Anyone know? I know code 600 is mental.

fot316

Premium Subscriber
Currently, I am hearing the KSP on 460.2375 MHz, in P25 mode loud and clear here in Michigan. Maybe someone can help locate, which Post I am hearing?

The patrol unit is out on Chloe Road by Walters Road, looking for a subject at a house. They said that the Sheriff had checked the girlfriend's house on Summit Drive, but her car was not at home. Any clue as to where this might be at in the Bluegrass State?

73's

Ron
Pikeville ky/////pike county

Bill88

Longtime Member
Currently, I am hearing the KSP on 460.2375 MHz, in P25 mode loud and clear here in Michigan. Maybe someone can help locate, which Post I am hearing?

The patrol unit is out on Chloe Road by Walters Road, looking for a subject at a house. They said that the Sheriff had checked the girlfriend's house on Summit Drive, but her car was not at home. Any clue as to where this might be at in the Bluegrass State?

73's

Ron

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221118-224832_Maps~2.jpg
    Screenshot_20221118-224832_Maps~2.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 55

whitty

Premium Subscriber
Anyone heard Post 11 in London lately? Haven't heard a peep from them in over two days.

KA0XR

Premium Subscriber
Sort of a general inquiry about the KSP radio history and full disclosure I'm not a resident of Kentucky, but here goes:

With all the hills and forests especially in the eastern half of the state, I'm wondering if anyone knows why they vacated VHF (presumably lowband) decades ago (1980's?) and converted not to VHF high like what most states did but to 453 and 460 MHz? Has it played out that their multicast analog UHF system has performed similar or at least admirably coverage-wise to what VHF high likely would have done? Or are/were there dead spots in the hillier terrain that one might expect with UHF?

I would think to replicate the coverage on VHF (low or high) UHF must have required plenty of additional towers. If anyone has historical insight on this switch it would be interesting to hear. Surely 453 MHz is more efficient for portable coverage, but their mobile extenders are actually on VHF high which seems like a reversed arrangement.

k4ktr

Premium Subscriber
Sort of a general inquiry about the KSP radio history and full disclosure I'm not a resident of Kentucky, but here goes:

With all the hills and forests especially in the eastern half of the state, I'm wondering if anyone knows why they vacated VHF (presumably lowband) decades ago (1980's?) and converted not to VHF high like what most states did but to 453 and 460 MHz? Has it played out that their multicast analog UHF system has performed similar or at least admirably coverage-wise to what VHF high likely would have done? Or are/were there dead spots in the hillier terrain that one might expect with UHF?

I would think to replicate the coverage on VHF (low or high) UHF must have required plenty of additional towers. If anyone has historical insight on this switch it would be interesting to hear. Surely 453 MHz is more efficient for portable coverage, but their mobile extenders are actually on VHF high which seems like a reversed arrangement.
Okay, so low band by the '90s was starting to have higher noise floor and not working as well. KSP went to analog UHF and was analog all the way until 2011 when they went p25. They are currently p25 multicast. The system works really well because KSP works different than other states and what I mean by that other states troopers have a handheld that is on the system also. But KSP went the route of using UHF repeaters and UHF mobiles with VHF in car repeaters and the trooper carries a a VHF hi portable radio and he talks on VHF hi through the car's repeater and out on the mobile which ensures they have plenty of handheld coverage. I'm not saying there's places in the state that doesn't have coverage, but it works pretty well. Currently ksp is in the process of switching all their mobiles out to APX 8500s and all the troopers portables out to APX 8000 because they are in the middle of building an 800 megahertz p 25 trucking system.

k4ktr

Premium Subscriber
Okay, so low band by the '90s was starting to have higher noise floor and not working as well. KSP went to analog UHF and was analog all the way until 2011 when they went p25. They are currently p25 multicast. The system works really well because KSP works different than other states and what I mean by that other states troopers have a handheld that is on the system also. But KSP went the route of using UHF repeaters and UHF mobiles with VHF in car repeaters and the trooper carries a a VHF hi portable radio and he talks on VHF hi through the car's repeater and out on the mobile which ensures they have plenty of handheld coverage. I'm not saying there's places in the state that doesn't have coverage, but it works pretty well. Currently ksp is in the process of switching all their mobiles out to APX 8500s and all the troopers portables out to APX 8000 because they are in the middle of building an 800 megahertz p 25 trucking system.
I'm going to correct myself. I was wrong and was properly informed KSP when p25 in the late '90s