ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
Joined
Jul 2, 2006
Messages
8,663
Reaction score
5,296
Location
Ontario, Calif.
ProScan Version 1.7 Build 2 includes the RadioReference Imports feature, improved Scanner Over IP, and bug fixes.

Supported scanners are the BCD996T, BC796D, BC785D, BC780XLT, BC296D, and the BC250D.

I'm thriving to make this the best Computer Aided Scanning program and suggestions are very much appreciated.

http://www.proscan.org/index.htm

Bob
 

webstar22

RenfrewCountyScanner.com
Joined
Dec 21, 2003
Messages
1,048
Reaction score
177
Location
Ontario, Canada
Guys, don't buy ProScan, use Butel. It better in times. It allows to manage bunch of freqs/TGIDs at the same time. ProScan will never do that.

Interesting fact: Bob asked me few times to promote ProScan here (i.e. at RR forum) in exchange of bug fix (I can show proof e-mail if needed). But personally I don't like ProScan. It have very poor memory management and contains a lot of bugs which not fixed for many months. ProScan is very close to abandoned project, IMHO. And Bob deletes all unwanted posts (bug reports & etc.) on his forum. Don't buy it, don't trifle your $$$.

You are only saying this because he told you off in a post.

Proscan has been running on my streaming computer for 251 days without issues. Between Proscan and Freescan it makes Butel''s software look like crap.
 

wireless_friendly

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Joined
Oct 4, 2005
Messages
167
Reaction score
1
Proscan has been running on my streaming computer for 251 days without issues. Between Proscan and Freescan it makes Butel''s software look like crap.
You tried to manage 1000 freqs/TGIDs via ProScan? Or maybe 3000? Or 5000? Try. And hit me back here (about 1-2-3 months I hope).

Your runtime confirms nothing. Try to run few instances with 24 hr recording. And you will see how ProScan eats RAM or/and CPU after few days of usage. It needs to be restarted every 2-4 days. Otherwise it will record garbage and just empty files. Also it crashes sometimes after USB hot unplug and crashes PC at all (I tried Uniden USB-1 cables with recommended and fresh Prolific drivers).

Try and you will see. I tried on few PC and my friends tried.

ProScan is NOT reliable when used continually with activated recorder. Period.
 
Last edited:

smason

Member
Premium Subscriber
Joined
Dec 20, 2006
Messages
1,188
Reaction score
199
Location
Alberta Canada, Eh!
You tried to manage 1000 freqs/TGIDs via ProScan? Or maybe 3000? Or 5000? Try. And hit me back here (about 1-2-3 months I hope).

Your runtime confirms nothing. Try to run few instances with 24 hr recording. And you will see how ProScan eats RAM or/and CPU after few days of usage. It needs to be restarted every 2-4 days. Otherwise it will record garbage and just empty files. Also it crashes sometimes after USB hot unplug and crashes PC at all (I tried Uniden USB-1 cables with recommended and fresh Prolific drivers).

Try and you will see. I tried on few PC and my friends tried.

ProScan is NOT reliable when used continually with activated recorder. Period.

I'm running 3 instances on an XP computer 24x7 and NEVER have I had a problem with stability or memory. USB sound cards USB serial converters, recording... no problems.
Also running Win500 and RX320 control programs at the same time on the same computer.
That's a lot going on, and a lot of USB activity. No problems whatsoever.

You must have some other instability.
 

jaskel

Member
Premium Subscriber
Joined
Dec 30, 2008
Messages
154
Reaction score
0
Location
SYDNEY AUSTRALIA
proscan works well for me, simple to use, onboard recording and streaming has never been so easy!

Crawl back to your hole....u sound like a disgruntled lesbian!
 

JPSan

Member
Joined
Nov 23, 2006
Messages
441
Reaction score
40
Location
Tucson, AZ
Excellent software and support...Thanks, Bob!

I have been a user of ProScan software for quite some time now and have NOTHING but good things to say about it. Bob has very very responsive to suggestions and questions via e-mail. He was quick to add features and fix bugs. He has a outstanding piece of software. Yes, there are others, including a excellent piece of FREEWARE. To each his own. I don't mind paying someone for the hard work and attention to detail. IN software NOTHING is 100% perfect. Each pleases someone to some extent to make them happy. As in life YOU CAN'T PLEASE EVERYONE, ALL THE TIME. Someone will have some problems and it will be impossible to please them. Just the way it is! I thank Bob for his superb software and his attention he gives his customers. Hope you have a great vacation, Bob.
 

RK3AAG

Member
Joined
Jun 25, 2011
Messages
392
Reaction score
2
Location
Russia
Any news about ProSnan updates?

I hope that I found a bug. I've tried to record some conventional channel with Tone (CTCSS) specified and in this case ProScan records a lot of blank audio files without any air activity. Scanner just stay on hold on this channel and keep silence. At the same time ProScan records new lines in Logging and create correspond audio files (blank).

If I removes Tone from this channel (set it to Search) ProScan stops to record blank audio files and records only real air activity. I.e. it works abnormally with Tone specified and normally if there is no Tone.

I use Each transmission in new row setting in Logging and Audio Recordings tabs. Audio recording type is Activity. I run on Windows XP Service Pack 3 with all updates, clean installation. ProScan 4.4.7. BCT15X with latest firmware. Cable is Uniden USB-1.
 

RK3AAG

Member
Joined
Jun 25, 2011
Messages
392
Reaction score
2
Location
Russia
Confirm this bug. I solve this isues by record all transmitions in one file. Bug exist but i dont see it.
Thanks for reply and bug confirmation! I've tried to record all activities to one file, but it does NOT help. Because new 'dymmy' lines appears in Logging and new silence segments appears in audio file.
 

jasonmc

Member
Joined
Apr 24, 2011
Messages
4
Reaction score
0
Location
jasonmc
bandscope

what's wrong with the bandscope? how come on the bandscope screen you can't change it, and how come when you change it everytime you have to upload again?
 

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
Joined
Jul 2, 2006
Messages
8,663
Reaction score
5,296
Location
Ontario, Calif.
what's wrong with the bandscope? how come on the bandscope screen you can't change it, and how come when you change it everytime you have to upload again?

What type of scanner?
What are you trying to change? There is nothing on the Bandscope tab that requires an upload.
 
Last edited:

Adenosine

Member
Feed Provider
Joined
Oct 28, 2009
Messages
247
Reaction score
14
Location
Longs, SC
On recording, I have noticed that ProScan has a different line for each frequency, however, will not separate the Tones on the same frqs.

I have one regional frequency that has multiple tones for different areas of coverage. Is there a way to separate these out when recording?
 

sfreiman

Member
Premium Subscriber
Joined
Aug 2, 2008
Messages
219
Reaction score
2
Location
Tucson, AZ
ProScan is the best scanner software by far. Although the programmer can get a bit arrogant and testy at times-but aren't all programmers?
 

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
Joined
Jul 2, 2006
Messages
8,663
Reaction score
5,296
Location
Ontario, Calif.
On recording, I have noticed that ProScan has a different line for each frequency, however, will not separate the Tones on the same frqs.

I have one regional frequency that has multiple tones for different areas of coverage. Is there a way to separate these out when recording?

Probably not. Tones has always been a bit problematic because the scanner has to decode the tone which takes time. Well after the channel info has arrived and the recording has started. I don't know of a good solution that can be done in ProScan.
 

Adenosine

Member
Feed Provider
Joined
Oct 28, 2009
Messages
247
Reaction score
14
Location
Longs, SC
Probably not. Tones has always been a bit problematic because the scanner has to decode the tone which takes time. Well after the channel info has arrived and the recording has started. I don't know of a good solution that can be done in ProScan.

What about just recording based on the channel? That way avoiding seperating by freq, then tone.
 

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
Joined
Jul 2, 2006
Messages
8,663
Reaction score
5,296
Location
Ontario, Calif.
What about just recording based on the channel? That way avoiding seperating by freq, then tone.

You mean channel as in frequency? I'm not sure if I am understanding right but you can using the custom format specifiers for the folders or filenames to customize to your preference.
 

wireless_friendly

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Joined
Oct 4, 2005
Messages
167
Reaction score
1
About tones. A found that ProScan tone logger is not accurate. Uniden show tones on each transmission, but in the ProScan log greed I seen only about 15-30% of them. All other rows has blank Tone field. I use Each transmission in new row setting. Known but which never been fixed.
 
Last edited:

Adenosine

Member
Feed Provider
Joined
Oct 28, 2009
Messages
247
Reaction score
14
Location
Longs, SC
You mean channel as in frequency? I'm not sure if I am understanding right but you can using the custom format specifiers for the folders or filenames to customize to your preference.

I think that's the answer. I've changed the folders to save by %L1 instead of frequency %FT. That should separate out the channels. What I was talking about with channels is, literally, the channel. Ex. Ch. 301 or 310. They have same freq. but different tones.

Thanks for the help, I had never ventured into the custom screen of ProScan.
 

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
Joined
Jul 2, 2006
Messages
8,663
Reaction score
5,296
Location
Ontario, Calif.
About tones. A found that ProScan tone logger is not accurate. Uniden show tones on each transmission, but in the ProScan log greed I seen only about 15-30% of them. All other rows has blank Tone field. I use Each transmission in new row setting. Known but which never been fixed.

Always advise the scanner type when reporting a bug so I can try to duplicate it.

Sorry but never heard of this one before. What do you mean by not accurate. 15%-30% of them or a different tone shows in the row?
 
Last edited:
Top