fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
Anybody ever have an issue where recordings are all 1kb? I have been recording for years and never had this.... I have rebooted everything, reinstalled Proscan... gone back to older versions. Tried MP3 and WAV.... all 1kb.

I feel like I am maybe missing something obvious here....
Do you have resume scan/search in Proscan turned on?

1656210328699.png

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
Anybody ever have an issue where recordings are all 1kb? I have been recording for years and never had this.... I have rebooted everything, reinstalled Proscan... gone back to older versions. Tried MP3 and WAV.... all 1kb.

I feel like I am maybe missing something obvious here....
Do you have audio coming in? Go to the Audio Control - Recorder tab and see.
To see if it's something in the config, do this. 1) Stop ProScan 2) Rename the ProScan.cfg file to a temporary name so you can revert back to the original config. 3) Delete the ProScan.cfg file. 4) Start ProScan.

MartyF81

Premium Subscriber
Do you have audio coming in? Go to the Audio Control - Recorder tab and see.
To see if it's something in the config, do this. 1) Stop ProScan 2) Rename the ProScan.cfg file to a temporary name so you can revert back to the original config. 3) Delete the ProScan.cfg file. 4) Start ProScan.

Thank you for the reply!! you got me on the right track about not seeing the audio when I was looking at the scopes.... it ended up being about 2 months ago I had an issue with this PC and did the "Reset Firewall to Defaults" which blocked Proscan from getting the audio stream. I didnt realize the affect until now because around that time my NAS died that the audio files were going to... which I only recently fixed. My brain didn't correlate the Firewall reset from 2 months ago to the issue I was having now since there was such a huge gap in time.

Thanks again for the reply! You are always so very helpful!

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
Thank you for the reply!! you got me on the right track about not seeing the audio when I was looking at the scopes.... it ended up being about 2 months ago I had an issue with this PC and did the "Reset Firewall to Defaults" which blocked Proscan from getting the audio stream. I didnt realize the affect until now because around that time my NAS died that the audio files were going to... which I only recently fixed. My brain didn't correlate the Firewall reset from 2 months ago to the issue I was having now since there was such a huge gap in time.

Thanks again for the reply! You are always so very helpful!
Are you using the BCD536HP/SDS200 LAN audio or a sound card input? Firewalls don't affect the sound card inputs. If you're using the microphone input then check the microphone privacy settings. Also check the Win Mixer that the correct input is enabled and not showing unplugged.

MartyF81

Premium Subscriber
Are you using the BCD536HP/SDS200 LAN audio or a sound card input? Firewalls don't affect the sound card inputs. If you're using the microphone input then check the microphone privacy settings. Also check the Win Mixer that the correct input is enabled and not showing unplugged.

SDS200 LAN audio. The firewall was the issue, as soon as I set ProScan to "Allow" in the Firewall the very next Key up recorded properly!

Steve2003

Not sure if this has ever been brought up, but is there any hidden keyboard shortcuts or plans to expand these? Specifically when virtually controlling a scanner?

The reason I ask is I have an Elgato Stream Deck that would be really cool to use with Proscan if virtual control had more keyboard shortcuts.

For example, one of the things I frequently do is manually key in a talkgroup while holding on another talkgroup. If I wanted to switch to talkgroup 1234 on the system I'm currently scanning I would press the following on my BCD996XT:
Hold
Hold

To switch to talkgorup 9876 I would key in 9876 and then press hold again.

With proscan I'm not seeing keyboard shortcuts for the buttons you see on the virtual scanner control and the only way to do this is to use the mouse.

I know you can use the right/left arrow on the channel selection knob first, but that requires having to click the knob with the mouse. Perhaps if there was a keyboard shortcut to make the selection, volume, and squelch knobs active so you could use the left/right arrows? Something like this:

To change the volume:
Press "V" and then left/right or up/down arrow

As for setting up Stream Deck buttons to virtually control the scanner, if you could have keyboard shortcuts for all the scanner buttons you see on the virtual control screen you could easily make multi-step buttons to select frequently used channels / talkgroups that look like this, even create multiple pages of them:

Screen Shot 2022-06-27 at 3.04.46 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-06-27 at 3.04.57 PM.png
Screen Shot 2022-06-27 at 3.06.19 PM.png

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
Not sure if this has ever been brought up, but is there any hidden keyboard shortcuts or plans to expand these? Specifically when virtually controlling a scanner?

The reason I ask is I have an Elgato Stream Deck that would be really cool to use with Proscan if virtual control had more keyboard shortcuts.

For example, one of the things I frequently do is manually key in a talkgroup while holding on another talkgroup. If I wanted to switch to talkgroup 1234 on the system I'm currently scanning I would press the following on my BCD996XT:
Hold
Hold

To switch to talkgorup 9876 I would key in 9876 and then press hold again.

With proscan I'm not seeing keyboard shortcuts for the buttons you see on the virtual scanner control and the only way to do this is to use the mouse.

I know you can use the right/left arrow on the channel selection knob first, but that requires having to click the knob with the mouse. Perhaps if there was a keyboard shortcut to make the selection, volume, and squelch knobs active so you could use the left/right arrows? Something like this:

To change the volume:
Press "V" and then left/right or up/down arrow

As for setting up Stream Deck buttons to virtually control the scanner, if you could have keyboard shortcuts for all the scanner buttons you see on the virtual control screen you could easily make multi-step buttons to select frequently used channels / talkgroups that look like this, even create multiple pages of them:

View attachment 123501

View attachment 123502
View attachment 123503
Here's the way to submit suggestions.

gdsteele

Premium Subscriber
I know this has been addressed many times and I thought I had it figured out, but I guess I don't.

If I make a change to what I have programmed in my scanner in ProScan and I download it, how do I keep the Favorites I had selected BEFORE I downloaded the new program to be what are active AFTER I download the new program? I thought I read the scanner, made the changes, and then wrote to the scanner. That didn't work this time.

I hate to beat a dead horse, but I hate having to go through all the Favorites again and turn off the ones I don't want to scan right now.

buddrousa

Premium Subscriber
#1 Setup the scanner the way you like it.
#2 Read the scanner into PROSCAN.
#3 Save the file in PROSCAN.
#4 If you make manual Changes to the scanner READ THE SCANNER AND RESAVE THE FILE.
#5 Make changes to the saved file
#6 Send changed file back to the scanner.
#7 Always start at #2

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
ProScan Version 19.5 Just Released!
This is another small release. I received many emails on these two items so want to get this out before I finish the next feature and finish the VOX Recorder program.
  • Fixed - Google Maps internal browser stopped working.
  • Fixed - RRDB wasn't importing the conventional frequencies tones correctly.
ProScan Website

ProScan is the most powerful and feature rich scanner software in the world !!!
Made in the USA

flanker86

@ProScan
Is it possible to make option "Delete <2 seconds recording entries from grid and file" more customizable? For example to make it 1 second?

cpg178

I have noticed that ProScan creates the file upon the start of a recording and appends? to it until the recording stops. I am trying to interface it with rdio-scanner, which by default wants to pull the file into its system 2 seconds after it is created. This creates an obvious issue that anything added to that recording file after those 2 seconds is cut off since rdio-scanner sees it as a duplicate call. I can adjust the time rdio-scanner waits, but the issue is some transmissions are longer than other, I guess 1 minute would be a safe time, but then transmissions that take 2 seconds must wait a minute to be ingested.

I am curious if anyone else has used ProScan with rdio-scanner and has found a solution for this. Obviously I could avoid all this with the proscan webserver but I am running 2 instances of ProScan, and SdrTrunk with the intent of having a single page to listen/playback all audio.

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
I have noticed that ProScan creates the file upon the start of a recording and appends? to it until the recording stops. I am trying to interface it with rdio-scanner, which by default wants to pull the file into its system 2 seconds after it is created. This creates an obvious issue that anything added to that recording file after those 2 seconds is cut off since rdio-scanner sees it as a duplicate call. I can adjust the time rdio-scanner waits, but the issue is some transmissions are longer than other, I guess 1 minute would be a safe time, but then transmissions that take 2 seconds must wait a minute to be ingested.

I am curious if anyone else has used ProScan with rdio-scanner and has found a solution for this. Obviously I could avoid all this with the proscan webserver but I am running 2 instances of ProScan, and SdrTrunk with the intent of having a single page to listen/playback all audio.
I'm not familiar with rdio-scanner so I don't know much about what you're doing. I see you stating that it will work with the Web Server and you want a single page. If that's the case then you could use 1 instance of ProScan for the Web Server. The recordings from both instances of ProScan can share the same folder so the Web Server will serve the recordings from both instances.

cpg178

I'm not familiar with rdio-scanner so I don't know much about what you're doing.
rdio-scanner watches the recordings directory and as soon as it sees a new file it pulls it in to its system. Where the 2 programs conflict is that ProScan immediately creates the file upon the start of a recording instead of waiting until the end, so rdio-scanner pulls in the incomplete file, and then once the recording is complete it views the appended file as a duplicate so any transmissions longer than the dwell time before it ingests the file are discarded. I have fixed this somewhat by setting the dwell time to 60 seconds. Is there anyway to set the file to write to the directory after the recording is complete instead of when it first starts recording?

bearcatrp

Premium Subscriber
Quick question. Can my sds200 hook up directly to a computer with ethernet or does it have to go through a router? The computer will use Wi-Fi to connect to the internet. Thanks