mandlair

Well, I wish I never shut my laptop down! Back to the same old thing? In use by another program? Tried everything again no go! It seems if I go to mass storage and restart my laptop and plug in the cable hit no i.e. serial it worked last night for the first time in days.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
Well, I wish I never shut my laptop down! Back to the same old thing? In use by another program? Tried everything again no go! It seems if I go to mass storage and restart my laptop and plug in the cable hit no i.e. serial it worked last night for the first time in days.

See Post #4779

mandlair

Windows will often move USB/Serial port assignments like musical-chairs. IE: If you boot Windows with a a USB laser printer ON, and a color inkjet printer ON and a WEB camera ON then turn your scanners and get it all working, then restart Windows with one or some of those other devices OFF the your scanners will end up on other emulated USB/Serial ports and you will need to reconfigure the software for the new port assignments the scanners now reside on. This is a real pain in the butt if you're constantly moving things to different ports, connecting, disconnecting, turning them ON & OFF. I like the good old days when scanner used real RS232 serial ports and PC's had at least two serial ports or you added additional serial ports on a PCI card. I still have two real serial ports on my Dell Workstation and they're a joy to use!
Still on port 3 after shut down or restart, Proscan keeps saying in use by another program?

mandlair

Yes showing Uniden serial port com 3 in device manager? Which I think it worked on and off with the generic driver from microsoft?

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
What should I being looking for alot of stuff sysinternals I don't see anything familiar ?

I've never used it but just from looking at the screenshots it's like this. If that doesn't work then Google for another program.
Also notice the text below says use VCP for USB Serial Ports.

Last edited:

mandlair

The new version of Sysinternals totally different interface than the old one, but I finally found it was my car code reader I guess everytime I started or restarted my laptop it would page basically all my ports or whichever one it wanted! So I killed it and viola all done! thanks a million but I would recommend to everyone for there pc there is alot of things on there which everyone could use!

Disk4mat