GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
Quick question here - is it necessary to do the updates if you only use ProScan for virtual display and control? I notice most if not all of the update features are focused on the streaming and server side of things which I have no use for. The update notices are a pain every time I open an instance of ProScan. I like it just the way it is - if it ain't broke don't fixit - so if I do not want to update can I disable these notices? And, if I do not update, like some programs, will it act up on me and eventually fail to function? Thanks in advance for the replies - :)

JD
kf4anc
There is really no reason not to update. 15.3 is stable, nothing is broken from whatever version you currently have installed. It's extremely rare that something gets accidentally broken in a ProScan release, and if it does happen, Bob is always immediately on top of fixing it.

But of course if you don't want to update, feel free to run on whatever version you like, and yes you can disable the update notices in Options.

mancow

Database Admin
So, how do you guys do multiple installations on one PC? I have usually created a separate folder at the install stage but when I do it tends to try to create another proscan sub folder when I do an update. Do you delete that at the select destination location portion of the update install procedure?

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
So, how do you guys do multiple installations on one PC? I have usually created a separate folder at the install stage but when I do it tends to try to create another proscan sub folder when I do an update.
I have several directories in C:\Program Files (x86), all named for whatever the purpose of the install will be (ProScan SDS200, ProScan 536HP, ProScan Remote, etc.) Note that because of the nature of later versions of Windows (7, 8, 10) many of the configuration and log files will actually get written to the C:\Users\<USERNAME>\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files (x86) directory, something to keep in mind.

I used to install upgrades to one directory, then would copy/paste the executable into the other directories, but now I simply run the installer a couple of times, changing the install directory each time. When you get to the part of the install where it prompts you for the install directory, just make sure that you're choosing an existing directory, otherwise it might create subdirectories.

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
I do copies of the master .exe file and put them in their own folders, create a shortcut icon on my desktop for each scanner and name it accordingly. On first run I pair the scanner to the prog and that's it. I have a bank of usb ports for the scanners and I just switch them on and double-click the appropriate icon.

JD
kf4anc

NakedFaerie

I dont have multiple versions only 1 version installed.
I just backup the files then copy them back when i try updates like I did to get that screenshot of the malicious code.

Noticed how Bob is quiet when I show proof of the malicious code? Where is he now? I bet he's messaging the mod to get me banned as he doesn't want people to know it DOES have malicious code in it and I've given proof.
You can try it for yourself with the above reg file or just look at the screenshot I posted above.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
Here's a better illustration of installing the updated version when you already have several directories. If you preface all of the directories with ProScan, it makes it easier to ensure that the installer gets the files into the correct directory, just hit backspace until Windows displays a list of the directories (i.e. backspace over 536HP in my example list)

Attachments

• ProScan.png
    ProScan.png
    18.8 KB · Views: 32

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
Quick question here - is it necessary to do the updates if you only use ProScan for virtual display and control? I notice most if not all of the update features are focused on the streaming and server side of things which I have no use for. The update notices are a pain every time I open an instance of ProScan. I like it just the way it is - if it ain't broke don't fixit - so if I do not want to update can I disable these notices? And, if I do not update, like some programs, will it act up on me and eventually fail to function? Thanks in advance for the replies - :)

Not to be confused or associated with any other post here, this is a question for Bob - thanks

JD
kf4anc

If the version is working for you then no need to upgrade however if using the Recorder then I would advise at least 15.2. Sometimes there may be small improvements that didn't make it in the change log. Recently I found an intermittent memory leak that may affected a small amount of users and it was fixed in 15.2. If reporting a bug, I would like the person reporting to use the latest version to reproduce the bug.

There is really no reason not to update. 15.3 is stable, nothing is broken from whatever version you currently have installed. It's extremely rare that something gets accidentally broken in a ProScan release, and if it does happen, Bob is always immediately on top of fixing it.

But of course if you don't want to update, feel free to run on whatever version you like, and yes you can disable the update notices in Options.
I concur. Especially the part about ver. 15.3 stable.

Last edited:

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
Bob is one of the most popular and trusted vendors within these forums, has lots of satisfied customers, always provides excellent customer service and is well-liked and respected here. If there is malicious code in his program, I doubt very seriously he would distribute it knowingly. I am sure there is an explanation, and bad-mouthing or baiting him is not the way to go about resolving the issue if, indeed, there is one. cool your heels and relax. Sheesh.

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
If the version is working for you then no need to upgrade however if using the Recorder then I would advise at least 15.2. Sometimes there may be small improvements that didn't make it in the change log. Recently I found an intermittent memory leak that may affected a small amount of users and it was fixed in 15.2. If reporting a bug, I would like the person reporting to use the latest version to reproduce the bug.

I concur. Especially ver. 15.3 I believe is stable at this point.

Thanks, much, Bob! It's working for me, all instances, and I plan to keep it as is. Things sometimes happen when I do updates lol

mancow

Database Admin
Here's a better illustration of installing the updated version when you already have several directories. If you preface all of the directories with ProScan, it makes it easier to ensure that the installer gets the files into the correct directory, just hit backspace until Windows displays a list of the directories (i.e. backspace over 536HP in my example list)

Right but when I do that it appends an additional ProScan folder. I have to delete that \ProScan at the end, else it puts it all in there.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
Right but when I do that it appends an additional ProScan folder.

View attachment 74407
Simply get rid of that \ProScan at the end, and it'll install just fine into the root directory ProScan BCD996T. Make sure you get rid of the backslash also otherwise it'll be tempted to create a subdirectory.

It should pop up a message saying ProScan is already installed in this directory, just tell it to continue.

mancow

Database Admin
Simply get rid of that \ProScan at the end, and it'll install just fine into the root directory ProScan BCD996T. Make sure you get rid of the backslash also otherwise it'll be tempted to create a subdirectory.

It should pop up a message saying ProScan is already installed in this directory, just tell it to continue.

OK, that's what I've been doing but was wondering if there was a better way. Thanks.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
I do copies of the master .exe file and put them in their own folders, create a shortcut icon on my desktop for each scanner and name it accordingly. On first run I pair the scanner to the prog and that's it. I have a bank of usb ports for the scanners and I just switch them on and double-click the appropriate icon.

JD
kf4anc
The reason I got away from copying the ProScan.exe to each directory when upgrading versions, is that from time to time Bob makes changes to the dll or pdb files. In fact that happened with 15.2, and if you don't copy those files over as well, the software will either fail to run or may not run correctly.

mancow

Database Admin
The reason I got away from copying the ProScan.exe to each directory when upgrading versions, is that from time to time Bob makes changes to the dll or pdb files. In fact that happened with 15.2, and if you don't copy those files over as well, the software will either fail to run or may not run correctly.

Yep, I ran into that too.

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
C:\Program Files (x86), all named for whatever the purpose of the install will be (ProScan SDS200, ProScan 536HP, ProScan Remote, etc.) Note that because of the nature of later versions of Windows (7, 8, 10) many of the configuration and log files will actually get written to the C:\Users\<USERNAME>\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files (x86) directory, something to keep in mind.
I hate the way Microsoft did that by putting the program generated files in the VirtualStore. To get around that, don't install ProScan in the C:\Program Files (x86) folder or if you still want to install it in the C:\Program Files (x86) folder, elevate ProScan to admin.

NakedFaerie

Well.... Thanks Bob. You wont hear from me again.
Upgraded, license working. No problems now. :D

That ROIP problem was the client not the server but it doesn't matter. Both are upgraded to the latest version and working fine.

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
Curious, I just looked at mine. All of my sub-folders for the different scanners are in the C:/Program Files (x86) underneath the original ProScan. My main (original) ProScan version is 14.3...three others are 14.4 and my SDS100 is 14.8. I get the update notices every time I open them. Apparently I have it all messed up lol. So what should I do, update them all or delete them and reinstall and start fresh? They're working fine, so I hate to have to do anything, but if they are eventually going to get squirrely and fail on me I guess I need to do something...

JD
kf4anc

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
Curious, I just looked at mine. All of my sub-folders for the different scanners are in the C:/Program Files (x86) underneath the original ProScan. My main (original) ProScan version is 14.3...three others are 14.4 and my SDS100 is 14.8. I get the update notices every time I open them. Apparently I have it all messed up lol. So what should I do, update them all or delete them and reinstall and start fresh? They're working fine, so I hate to have to do anything, but if they are eventually going to get squirrely and fail on me I guess I need to do something...

JD
kf4anc

I wouldn't delete anything because the config file will be defaulted and you will loose the History, Recording, etc. logs.
I would copy the ProScan.exe, ProScan.pdb, & ProScan1.dll files from the latest version to the other folders.

WiFiNetGuy

Premium Subscriber
Advance apologies if this isn't the right place. I just purchased ProScan yesterday. I've got most of it working great. However, if I'm connected to the computer hosting ProScan via RDP (on the same LAN) is there a way to pipe the scanner's audio to my client computer? I've tried to connect the Ext. Sp. output to the input of the host computer. Then I'm connecting to that host computer from the client computer via RDP. But I'm not getting any audio. My scanner is a Uniden BC785D.