SDS100/SDS200: SDS100 / SDS200 Enhancement Update 1.09.02

Status
Not open for further replies.

RRR

Premium Subscriber
Here is what you are missing:

There are thousands of radio systems in use across the US. While they are typically built to some standard, there is still a lot of variability within that standard. Unlike, say, landline telephones where there is a strict electrical and signaling standard that absolutely must be complied with (but which means you can plug any phone into any phone jack anywhere in the US and it will just work), radio systems leave a lot in the hands of the actual implementers who may or may not adhere to the strict standards. But, as long as all the subscriber units on their system work with their system, it doesn't matter.

That is all to say that it is impossible pre-launch to test on every system out there. So, sometimes a bug will only show up on one or just a few systems, after launch. In those cases, we gather the information we need to address the issue, release a fix, and move on to the next thing.

Oh, and also to say we've identified the issue and will have a fix in the next release.

Ok, there was no issue receiving an analog VHF station about 25 miles, about 15 mins. before this FW update, and at anytime before, but since I updated the FW last night, I can't receive the same VHF analog system as I did before. (Basically, 2 frequencies, fire and sheriff, with PL)

-It's not the system, it's something that was done in the firmware-

I absolutely appreciate updates and so forth, but, we are identifying the issue, right here and now.

cinsu

Did you reload the beta version to see if reception was restored?

I’m not having notable reception issues with an analog 800 trunked system in my area. In fact the last couple updates have improved my reception. I will load the last beta this afternoon and see if there is a difference as I need the site lock issue fixed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RRR

Premium Subscriber
Did you reload the beta version to see if reception was restored?

I never put the "Beta" version in, I usually don't jump on updates, but this one seemed to have enough benefit to go ahead with it. So you want me to DL the Beta version and try?

I appreciate your input. I'm not disliking the scanner, I just want it to work right, and if y'all don't know there are issues, y'all can't fix them.

PapaG

WB4IAR
Premium Subscriber
Unlike others I'm not having receive issues. My issue is incorrect alpha tags while using site hold. Thank you for your efforts to fix.

cinsu

The alpha tag issue is also occurring on a 800 mhz analog trunked system.

I rolled back to the last beta version. Alpha tag issue of course fixed. I believe I do get slightly better performance on 800 mhz analog trunked on the beta.

RCjim

Premium Subscriber
My quick observation, I have both the 100 and 200, when I got my 200 I loaded the same info I used on my 100.
At the time I noticed the 200 performance was slightly better, I have been doing all the 200 updates and have skipped some on the 100. My 100 now has M V 1.08.05 and my 200 has M V 1.09.02, I now noticed my 100 is out performing my 200 by a lot, many transmission are being missed same antenna same settings. When time allows I will load an older version on the 200 to see if the performance comes back.

RCjim

Premium Subscriber
Glad I didn’t install the update yet.

Will hold off until the next one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Seems like addressing one issue may have caused another issue, for me reception is a top priority. They tried to fix issues I wasn't having, oh well still happy I bought both SDS scanners let's just hope they can find the right combination to make us all happy. I'm missing a lot of stuff I got a couple weeks ago. I would like to see what setting are making the most people happy, filters etc. and why

Reactions: RRR

KC1UA

Scan New England Janitor/Maintenance
Database Admin
Get into the habit of copying firmware off the μSD card before you update so that you have previous versions to fallback to.

I wasn't aware that was possible, but going forward absolutely if it is. As I remember once the file is manually applied it's no longer visible, or I'm missing something...probably the latter! :ROFLMAO: . I just got it last Friday and bumped it right up to this version. Thanks.

2006walt

Premium Subscriber
How do we copy the existing FW onto the SD card? I am running the older FW and would like to save it. Or can we download older FW from the Uniden site?
Thanks

radio3353

Here is what you are missing:

There are thousands of radio systems in use across the US. While they are typically built to some standard, there is still a lot of variability within that standard. Unlike, say, landline telephones where there is a strict electrical and signaling standard that absolutely must be complied with (but which means you can plug any phone into any phone jack anywhere in the US and it will just work), radio systems leave a lot in the hands of the actual implementers who may or may not adhere to the strict standards. But, as long as all the subscriber units on their system work with their system, it doesn't matter.

That is all to say that it is impossible pre-launch to test on every system out there. So, sometimes a bug will only show up on one or just a few systems, after launch. In those cases, we gather the information we need to address the issue, release a fix, and move on to the next thing.

Oh, and also to say we've identified the issue and will have a fix in the next release.

That is all well and good and I understand all of that having been in electrical and manufacturing engineering for 43 years and a radi0 hobbyist for even longer. But, it has nothing to do with the hum, screen flickering and desensitized VHF/UHF performance issues I continually read about here. Those issues are what is keeping me from buying an SDS200 for nearly $700. I am not willing to play that lottery. So, I don't think I am missing anything. I think, with all due respect, you are.

Last edited:
Reactions: RRR

W5RGP

yep found that right after i posted i reverted back just on my 200 comparing it now
seems to have improved somewhat from what i can see rssi went from in the -50's to a pretty solid -40 on the dispatchers end
the mobiles seem to also have came up some what but that just depends on their location

gonna log it all night along side a 536 and my sds100 with current firmware and see what proscan shows in the am

Status
Not open for further replies.