SDS100/SDS200 Tax Day Update (1.10.00)

Status
Not open for further replies.

seth21w

I have reverted my firmware to 1.07.02 sub 1.02.00 and I am getting much better reception than the newest firmware. Does anyone know where I can find the original load firmware, these are the earliest I could find on the google drive. My short comms are much better and distant dmr is picking up better all around it seems.

bravo14

Premium Subscriber
I have reverted my firmware to 1.07.02 sub 1.02.00 and I am getting much better reception than the newest firmware. Does anyone know where I can find the original load firmware, these are the earliest I could find on the google drive. My short comms are much better and distant dmr is picking up better all around it seems.
FW 1.07.02 is that for the 200 or 100?

seth21w

Ok I've been bouncing between 1.07.02 sub 1.02.00 and newest 1.10.00 and it is no comparison the hum is slightly louder on the earlier firmware but the reception difference is night and day. I will be staying on the old until someone comes up with the solution. I have one fringe p2 trunking system I can monitor only on old firmware and it keeps up with my g4 but on new firmware dont even stop on it just keeps scanning.

Reactions: RRR

RRR

Premium Subscriber
Exactly what benefit is there for remaining on 1.10, as opposed to 1.07? (Besides the "hum issue", which, in a vehicle, I wouldn't notice anyway)

seth21w

Basically 3 more filter settings and optional amp off setting to stop the hum, but the best performing firmware is 1.07.02 either normal or inverted is better than 1.10 I wont use the tax day update anymore unless a new better update comes along.

RRR

Premium Subscriber
How can I revert to FW version 1.07.02 ?

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
I have traveled thousands of miles with (2) SDS200s that have performed flawlessly on the 1.10.0 firmware versions. This update works well for me in ALL locations both with and without the gps and all filters set to OFF.

Also, same said for my SDS100 using firmware version 1.07.0 and all filters set to OFF. Flawless performance.

The SDS line of scanners has reinvigorated my joy in the scanning hobby. Whether at my ham radio desk at home or in my Jeep or RV, these scanners absolutely rock. On this adventure I have enjoyed exposing people to the hobby when curious folks at the RV parks ask about that 'funny looking antenna' next to my Dish satellite on the RV roof (Diamond D220R mini-discone). Then I really enjoy seeing their mouths open and their eyes get big when I show them my scanner/radio setup with two SDS200s and the SDS100 colorful displays going on in my accessory cabinet. lol

It's a hoot, ain't it?

Back to the pontoon boat for some more trout fishing - five keepers yesterday that were amazing in a campfire skillet browned with butter and lemon with baked taters and corn on the cob roasted in foil in the fire. Mmm-mm. That's some good eatin', I don't care who ya are.

JD
kf4anc

Jeff19

Premium Subscriber
I tried reverting back to 1.07.02/1.02.00 and had worse performance so I updated back to the 1.10.00/1.02.00 firmware. Since updating back I have been experiencing erratic behavior on my SDS100. My local P25P2 system is missing transmissions and showing a poor RSSI compared to before I tried the experiment. The scanner shows 1.10.00/1.02.00 as the installed firmware, but it is not behaving as such. What's stranger is that I let the scanner sit overnight, and upon initial start up it was performing like normal until I entered the menu, then the erratic behavior started again.

To fix, I have tried reverting back and forth through multiple firmwares with no success. I also tried formatting a new SD card and using that, and the erratic behavior is continuing. I thought a filter setting changed, but I am showing the same filter (W-INV) as was successful before the experiment. It seams like a hardware issue, though I don't know it this is possible just by switching firmwares. Could the sub have failed during one of the firmware changes?

Has anyone experienced anything like this, or have any suggestions? Thank you.

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
I tried reverting back to 1.07.02/1.02.00 and had worse performance so I updated back to the 1.10.00/1.02.00 firmware. Since updating back I have been experiencing erratic behavior on my SDS100. My local P25P2 system is missing transmissions and showing a poor RSSI compared to before I tried the experiment. The scanner shows 1.10.00/1.02.00 as the installed firmware, but it is not behaving as such. What's stranger is that I let the scanner sit overnight, and upon initial start up it was performing like normal until I entered the menu, then the erratic behavior started again.

To fix, I have tried reverting back and forth through multiple firmwares with no success. I also tried formatting a new SD card and using that, and the erratic behavior is continuing. I thought a filter setting changed, but I am showing the same filter (W-INV) as was successful before the experiment. It seams like a hardware issue, though I don't know it this is possible just by switching firmwares. Could the sub have failed during one of the firmware changes?

Has anyone experienced anything like this, or have any suggestions? Thank you.
I'm sorry to hear this, don't give up hope there might be an answer you can fix.

My own experiences are after the update that had the hum mitigation and introduction of wide filters, my radio was working better than ever. I had been using invert on my P 2 simulcasts simulcast system with great success, before introduction of filters it was a mess with many missed transmissions and clipped Transmissions. That update was great, the one that introduced the wide filters.

The next update caused a problem for my radio. There was a change in performance so I tried my best to adjust the filters but I kept that update because it was the one that got rid of the housekeeping every 2 seconds.

Then I put in the tax day update and it just trashed my radio. My nx48 and VHF performance went down the tubes no matter what I did with the filters but the P2 simulcast kept working and that's all I use the radio for.

Because of all the inconsistencies between radio to radio I was hesitant to back up and go to an earlier update. The P2 performance continues to work well except now wide invert is better than invert. I use my 536 for VHF and UHF and my 436 for nx48.

I would try starting from zero again. Update it in Sentinel again and reprogram it. Then keep working on the filters which there is no rhyme or reason, it is your environment and individual systems.

Just keep playing with it. I was going to revert back this weekend but I'm going to hold off now, let us know your progress.

Jeff19

Premium Subscriber
Update: I've been trying to get back to "normal". I thought that rolling through the firmwares sequentially might solve the problem. Along the way, I noted that sub CPU firmware 1.01.05 was working exceptionally well. I continued rolling the firmwares and the performance became worse with newer firmware/sub cpu firmware combinations. I reverted to 1.01.05 sub and 1.10.00 main. This makes absolutely no sense to me - but I'm getting equal, if not better, performance than before I started toying with old firmware.

This reinforces the point that different firmware provides different success rates based on RF environment. What is not explained is why seemingly 1.10.00/1.02.01 was working fine, and now it is not. Also not explained is why a main/sub firmware set that was not released together is working well.

Ubbe

One problem could be that the scanner are probably not designed to do downgrades. New firmware often use new memory positions to store information that the CPU uses in its operations and when you downgrade to an older firmware it encounters values in the memory that are illegal and out of normal range and have no code written to handle that situation. Hopefully the three finger reset will clear the memory of all values to let you start from scratch when a CPU or DSP firmware have been loaded.

/Ubbe

Status
Not open for further replies.