jmorrissey23

Premium Subscriber
Looks like I'm keeping an unwanted radio (HP-2), Per Scannermaster I'll have to pay for shipping.
I will NEVER buy ANYTHING from Scannermaster again.

Since you are stuck with it you can try playing with threshold settings, other options would be try different antennas (if at all possible an outdoor antenna would likely yeild you the best results). I have been able to make my 325P2 work on this system with threshold adjustments and toying around with the location of it. Best of luck to you!

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
Rumor is Bristol,PA is a dead zone on this system
Touche LOL, I'm on this thread for a while trying to figure out reception problems for a friend who lives in Connecticut and sends me videos of their display and other information, I guess I was referring to here as where the poster was listening. I misspoke.

If it means anything, the hp-2 doesn't work a lick on my counties Phase 2 tdma system either. :ROFLMAO:

t5holmes

Premium Subscriber
65xxx TG's are dynamic talk groups. They can change daily or hourly. I've gotten Wallingford PD on about 10 different 65,xxx TG's in the last month or so.
They linked Wallingford's P25 site to some CLMRN sites. When one of their units (Police, Fire, Whatever) roams outside of Wallingford's coverage, they set it up to roam to CLMRN but instead of getting their native TG numbers, (Ex Police 1 TG 101) it gets assigned a random TG number in the 65,000 range by CLMRN that it talks to the CLMRN system on. This is also used say if Wallingford's system went down, they can failover to CLMRN I believe. Not 100% on the specifics but its what I picked up in passing and interpreted.

As far as I know, the only system that have linked in is Wallingford going by DSDPlus neighbor/Peer info.
However many other systems can be patched in this way, Waterbury's P25, Middletown's new P25, etc... should they make arrangements.

These are different than TG40-49 they use for testing purposes for towns and such testing CLMRN in their area before a final cutover.
Middletown is set up the same way. When out of range it roams and says troop h on my portable radio with a R on the radio strength meter.

hotbob62

Since you are stuck with it you can try playing with threshold settings, other options would be try different antennas (if at all possible an outdoor antenna would likely yeild you the best results). I have been able to make my 325P2 work on this system with threshold adjustments and toying around with the location of it. Best of luck to you!
Where would I find settings ? I live in an apartment building.

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
Looks like I'm keeping an unwanted radio (HP-2), Per Scannermaster I'll have to pay for shipping.
I'm sorry, I'm trying to follow your thoughts here. Scannermaster is offering to refund your money for a radio that's not going to work for you on your system and you're going to keep it because you don't want to pay the shipping to return it? Interesting.

The issue with simulcast problems with non SDR radios is you have simulcast distortion secondary to LSM. An external antenna like a yagi or directional beam directed directly towards the nearest tower isolating the signal if you can from other towers that are simultaneously broadcasting what your radio is calling for

If you do get an outside antenna make sure to get low loss coax and again, a yagi is really your best bet. If you can't put up an external antenna then mount it on a broom handle. It'll be very movable and adjustable.

Scanner Master is right up there as one of the most reputable vendors, your radio is not defective, you just bought the wrong radio, It's not unusual for you to pay the minimal shipping fee and quite frankly, they should also charge you a restocking fee, if they are not, you are getting a break. Your radio is not defective, you bought the wrong radio. I understand that you didn't know that and most people don't do the research on RR to know a radio is not going to work well to start with. That may be why they don't charge a restocking fee. Pay the few bucks and get your money back. I'm wondering what the missing link is here?

You understand, this makes absolutely no sense to me.:rolleyes:

Firebuff66

Feed Provider
I have dealt with Scannermaster for years and have been to their office in MA (There is an option drive the 2 hours up and bring it back)
They have always been great, You can't expect a company to take a loss because someone didn't do their homework before buying something
They are nice enough to take it back.
On topic with a little work and patience you should be able to get the HP2 to listen to what you want.
I have 3 996P2s 1 536HP & a 325P2 and I can get them all to work reliably on the TDMA systems around, The SDS is obviously better at it as it was designed to do just that but yours can do it also.
Good Luck

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
I have dealt with Scannermaster for years and have been to their office in MA (There is an option drive the 2 hours up and bring it back)
They have always been great, You can't expect a company to take a loss because someone didn't do their homework before buying something
They are nice enough to take it back.
On topic with a little work and patience you should be able to get the HP2 to listen to what you want.
I have 3 996P2s 1 536HP & a 325P2 and I can get them all to work reliably on the TDMA systems around, The SDS is obviously better at it as it was designed to do just that but yours can do it also.
Good Luck
It is true that your radio could be made to work if you are in the right location. The chances are you are not in the right location. Firebuff is correct though, if you are in the right location your radio could work in a fixed application on this system.

hotbob... again, there's something missing here. Yes, you could take the long ride to Massachusetts and return the radio but I'm sure it would cost more in gas and time than it would the small amount it would be to ship the radio back. Even though the chances of you getting your radio to work properly on this system at your particular location are nill you are obviously and deliberately electing to keep the radio when you don't have to.

This is OT here. The ASPCA frowns upon the beating of a dead horse the way we are.

Good luck to you.

Last edited:

nekopie03

my sds100, which i recently bought isn't picking up troop E or any of the troops for the most part. I used the zip code to program. My homepatrol 2 is acting the same also. Any ideas?

pro106import

Premium Subscriber
Milford, Ct. perched high above Long Island Sound
my sds100, which i recently bought isn't picking up troop E or any of the troops for the most part. I used the zip code to program. My homepatrol 2 is acting the same also. Any ideas?
Where are you located? I get them on Troop F Simulcast, Troop E simulcast, and Troop K simulcast from my location. Which Troop are you near?

darkness975

Latrodectus
Premium Subscriber
Yeah. Same exact thing happened to me when I first got mine. You have to create a custom favorites list and remove all but the CC and ACC.

This is assuming you have no reception issues at your location.

nekopie03

Yeah. Same exact thing happened to me when I first got mine. You have to create a custom favorites list and remove all but the CC and ACC.

No reception problem. I’m new to this stuff so what is cc and acc lol?