• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Lincoln 2 plus noise in 2018 Chevy Silverado Z71 Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

RC4

Nice video.
If you set that squelch up past 1, are you still hearing the electrical noise when recieving ? I assume squelch in the video is at manual-0 and as soon as you select manual-1, the audio is squelched? If you run it at like manual-15, are you still dealing with noise?
I've asked President about why their squelch is so different, and can't get any answer out them. Would like to see their real service manual. Pick me up in your truck and we'll drive down there to Florida and ask the guy :)
Haha yes the squelch takes away the noise but doesn’t fix the problem. I’m going to try a few other things and see what happens. When the truck is off tho most of the noise goes away. When I open my door and close it with the truck off everything turns off then after 30 sec or so the Raido goes silent! So it’s definitely something the antenna is picking up.

TomLine

Looked in my AARL book. It said run positive lead directly to positive terminal, but to run negative lead to chassis ground used by the battery. Also suggested clamp-on ferite chokes around device control wires that could produce signal noise. New vehicles use a single wire communications control network, sometimes daisy chained.

slowmover

I’ve always used hood mounts they’ve always worked well for me but not so much with his truck. And I’m not really sure where else I could put it. It can’t put it in middle of my hood lol it can’t go on the top of my truck so I’m a bit limited on where I can mount this antenna.

Why not the roof? Best place.

If you thought fender-side of hood worked well, your expectations are really low.

An NMO mount Larsen 27 on roof works great with near any vehicle . Not tops for potential range, but unbeatable as a long-term value. Distinctly superior to hood type.

Last edited:

RC4

Looked in my AARL book. It said run positive lead directly to positive terminal, but to run negative lead to chassis ground used by the battery. Also suggested clamp-on ferite chokes around device control wires that could produce signal noise. New vehicles use a single wire communications control network, sometimes daisy chained.
Awesome thank you for that!

RC4

Why not the roof? Best place.

If you thought fender-side of hood worked well, your expectations are really low.

An NMO mount Larsen 27 on roof works great with near any vehicle . Not tops for potential range, but unbeatable as a long-term value. Distinctly superior to hood type.
Well yes hood would be ideal but I’m not going to mount a 6 foot antenna on my roof. My wife would murder me.

RC4

Just put on a magnet mount Lil wil and get on the air....
I get out just fine tbh. I can talk skip all day
It’s the noise i am having a hard time dealing with. 7 pounds of static with zero skip is ridiculous. I moved my ground from my battery to my chassis’s. Nothing has changed as far as I can tell. Swr still pretty good tho
1.5 on 40 1.2 on 1

RC4

There's a couple of things I'd suggest.

I've installed a lot of radios in similar trucks, but they were all VHF. But the general install practices apply...

Powering the radio directly off the battery is the correct way to do it. Do NOT power it off the fuse block.

Negative power lead should go to a body ground as close to the radio as you can get it. Find a grounding point under the dashboard and connect the negative power lead there.

On some really weird noise issues, I've had luck also grounding the radio chassis directly to body steel as close to the radio as I can. Yes, I know the radio is grounded through the negative lead. A radio chassis to body ground can help.

Make sure all your power wiring is run separate from any existing vehicle wiring as much as possible. There's a lot of CAN BUS stuff in these modern vehicles that can be noisy.

Same with the coaxial cable, make sure it's routed away from other vehicle wiring.

You may want to try moving the antenna to the other side of the vehicle. There are noise sources under the hood and having the antenna close to those could be a problem. Ideally, you want the antenna mounted on the center of the cab roof, but I know that's not always possible. Better ground plane and away from noise sources can really make it worthwhile.

The power steering on those trucks is electric. I think addressing the power wiring as I suggested above may help.

You don't need a second battery for a CB. Wired correctly, you shouldn't have any issues.
I did what you said power going to battery, ground to battery ground chassis’s. When I drive down the street and I get near an intersection holy crap the noise is horrible! At least 8db. When the truck is off tho it’s not all that bad. I wish I could figure this out but I know these radios are noisy. I’m at the point now where I think nothing I do can fix this.

RC4

You have received some sage advice from professionals on this and other forums. Do what you can following the professionals' directions, but DON'T downgrade to a magnetically-mounted antenna. You're only asking for mega issues including scratching the paint surface, inferior grounding/bonding issues, and more.
I understand thank you!

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I did what you said power going to battery, ground to battery ground chassis’s. When I drive down the street and I get near an intersection holy crap the noise is horrible! At least 8db. When the truck is off tho it’s not all that bad. I wish I could figure this out but I know these radios are noisy. I’m at the point now where I think nothing I do can fix this.

The increase in noise you hear is likely from the traffic lights, some of the cheap LED lamps emit a huge amount of noise.

I think we've established that the noise is coming in via your antenna. I think you proved that when you unplugged the antenna and the noise went away.
My gut says it's engine/ignition noise, and why I recommended moving the antenna. Just moving it away from the engine compartment might do it. A magnetic mount might be a good temporary test, but ultimately you'd want a permanent mount installation.

Low SWR is good, and the fact that you can communicate well says that the antenna is doing it's job. But the location is sucking up noise. You need to move the antenna/coax away from the noise source.

As for the cheap LED lights, did you upgrade any in your truck, or is it all stock? Some cheap LED's can be a real headache.

RC4

Do the lights dim when the antenna is disconnected from the radio?
Is there an electronic box between the battery post and where it is connected to ground?
Have you tried attaching the negative lead to the body near the battery instead of the terminal?
I did move the ground to the chassis’s and didn’t really notice a difference.

Oh and I almost forgot to mention in this forum, I hooked up a president randy using its own power source (batteries) to my antenna and it did the exact same thing! So whatever is going on it has to be coming from my antenna and or coax but I have a pretty good swr so I don’t know where to go from this point. Thank you for the help

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I did move the ground to the chassis’s and didn’t really notice a difference.

Oh and I almost forgot to mention in this forum, I hooked up a president randy using its own power source (batteries) to my antenna and it did the exact same thing! So whatever is going on it has to be coming from my antenna and or coax but I have a pretty good swr so I don’t know where to go from this point. Thank you for the help

Yep, exactly. That was a good test.

Low SWR just means your antenna is pretty close to be resonate. That's what you want. But low/high SWR isn't going to impact the noise issue.

You gotta either find the noise source (ignition, electronics, LED's, etc) and fix it, or move the antenna and coax away from the noise source.

RC4

The increase in noise you hear is likely from the traffic lights, some of the cheap LED lamps emit a huge amount of noise.

I think we've established that the noise is coming in via your antenna. I think you proved that when you unplugged the antenna and the noise went away.
My gut says it's engine/ignition noise, and why I recommended moving the antenna. Just moving it away from the engine compartment might do it. A magnetic mount might be a good temporary test, but ultimately you'd want a permanent mount installation.

Low SWR is good, and the fact that you can communicate well says that the antenna is doing it's job. But the location is sucking up noise. You need to move the antenna/coax away from the noise source.

As for the cheap LED lights, did you upgrade any in your truck, or is it all stock? Some cheap LED's can be a real headache.
No everything is stock in my truck but I did get a new battery a few days ago. I just mentioned to another user that I used a president randy in my truck running off my coax and antenna using its batteries and it still does the steering wheel thing. You think I should try and upgrade my headlights?

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
No everything is stock in my truck but I did get a new battery a few days ago. I just mentioned to another user that I used a president randy in my truck running off my coax and antenna using its batteries and it still does the steering wheel thing. You think I should try and upgrade my headlights?

I wouldn't mess with anything until you either figure out exactly what the noise source is, or move the antenna.

Here's what I'd probably do:
Take the President Randy and remove the antenna. With the antenna removed, poke around under the hood with the engine running and see if you can find where the noise is strongest. That might help you narrow down what the source is.

The headlights dimming with the power steering sounds like it could be an issue, but I'd expect that to impact the DC power feed to the radio, not manifest as a RF noise into the antenna.
Then again, if you changed the battery and it still does it, that might indicate your alternator is failing. I'd get that checked either way.

RC4

Thank you all for the advice and help. I know these Lincoln’s and 955’s can be noisy radios. I can deal with the noise it’s the steering wheel thing that is driving me crazy. I wonder if my headlights could be the issue. I’m in my truck while I’m typing this hehe
I do notice when I turn my headlights on I do get a bit of static and it goes away when I turn them off. Doesn’t really seem to be an excessive amount but every bit helps I guess.

RC4

Do I run those on the power cables or the coax? Thank you

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
The headlight dimming with the electric power steering sounds like it's putting a lot of draw on the electrical system. I've never seen that happen on any of the Chevy's that I've seen that are set up that way. Sounds like an electrical system issue that needs to be addressed separate from the radio. Might be the alternator going, might be an issue with the power steering. Either way, you don't want it to fail while you are driving.

The stock headlights are likely not the true source of the noise, but if they are the -factory- HID or LED type, they may be contributing to it a bit. If they are after market, then all bets are off. Some of them are just noisy. One of the reasons I'm happy with the plain old incandescent lamps in my truck.

But first, try temporarily moving the antenna away from the engine compartment and see if the noise resolves.

RC4

I’m kinda nervous about moving my mount cause I am getting such a good swr. But might be my only option at this point. Thank you

Status
Not open for further replies.