JohnDistai

John you might want to up the RAM to 4GB I have a MINI PC 4 1/2 inch square with 4GB running 4 but my big rack 16 scanners is running a 8GB with 1.5GB free.

Thanks. It's a really old machine, probably not worth extra RAM or a Windows license. Time for sale or donation.

luckygecko

The only other ideal I have is check if any Wi-Fi interference.
{edit} Also move the Dongle around. Perhaps use a tool to check signal strength.

I did as you suggested with the dongle. Although, the radio has a line-of-sight to access point of about 8 feet.

I've had another program suspension. I've changed compatibility mode to Windows 7. I've come across some information about UWP compatibility sometimes doing this to 32-bit applications or at least doing so when the window for program is not in focus. But, I've not seen much detail on it. To the user, it looks like the program freezes, and if you click on the ProScan window it states that the program is not responding. "Do you want to close?" prompt. (clicking it does not cause it to wake from suspended state) I discovered it was just suspending the window and now simply using performance monitor to restart it. It should be noted that I run in border less mode, with 'stay on top'.

If' you have had mystery freeze reports recently, suggest to have user see if it is only suspended and not frozen. (assuming it is not something local to me)

I will report back tomorrow to see if Windows treats the program differently as a Windows '7' 32-bit app.

luckygecko

The only other ideal I have is check if any Wi-Fi interference.
{edit} Also move the Dongle around. Perhaps use a tool to check signal strength.
One more clue. It happened while I was using the program when it was in a window mode and in focus. That is interesting, is that the transmission in question (that came across while I was changing other settings) was a fairly recent channel that was encrypted. Audio was muted, but now that I think about it, it seems this suspend issue ('freeze' issue) started around the time these channels started to become encrypted. Getting too tired tonight, but will put them on avoid tomorrow.

Thanks for reading,

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
I did as you suggested with the dongle. Although, the radio has a line-of-sight to access point of about 8 feet.

I've had another program suspension. I've changed compatibility mode to Windows 7. I've come across some information about UWP compatibility sometimes doing this to 32-bit applications or at least doing so when the window for program is not in focus. But, I've not seen much detail on it. To the user, it looks like the program freezes, and if you click on the ProScan window it states that the program is not responding. "Do you want to close?" prompt. (clicking it does not cause it to wake from suspended state) I discovered it was just suspending the window and now simply using performance monitor to restart it. It should be noted that I run in border less mode, with 'stay on top'.

If' you have had mystery freeze reports recently, suggest to have user see if it is only suspended and not frozen. (assuming it is not something local to me)

I will report back tomorrow to see if Windows treats the program differently as a Windows '7' 32-bit app.
I've seen video driver updates cause lookups a few times. However I haven't seen that in the last few years. There's nothing in my code that will intentionally suspend the GUI thread. Sometimes a control (object) I'm using will throw an exemption (error) deep down in the the .Net Framework or OS and potentially suspend the GUI thread.

I think to troubleshoot this: Look in the Windows Event Log for any clues. Also turn off features one by one and see if problem goes away.

luckygecko

I've seen video driver updates cause lookups a few times. However I haven't seen that in the last few years. There's nothing in my code that will intentionally suspend the GUI thread. Sometimes a control (object) I'm using will throw an exemption (error) deep down in the the .Net Framework or OS and potentially suspend the GUI thread.

I think to troubleshoot this: Look in the Windows Event Log for any clues. Also turn off features one by one and see if problem goes away.
After 'avoiding' the now (newly) encrypted P25 Phase II TDMA Mississippi Highway patrol groups, the issue has not come back. I do thank you for your help. I try to troubleshoot just one item at a time, but I can not 100% say that was the only change. Thank you for your help, and ongoing support of your program. One of the better purchases I have made.

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
After 'avoiding' the now (newly) encrypted P25 Phase II TDMA Mississippi Highway patrol groups, the issue has not come back. I do thank you for your help. I try to troubleshoot just one item at a time, but I can not 100% say that was the only change. Thank you for your help, and ongoing support of your program. One of the better purchases I have made.
I would monitor for a while (maybe a week) to make sure. Later, unavoid the encrypted groups and see if the problem comes back. At this point, I don't know how or why encrypted channels could cause this.

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
Many thanks for the new version (16.1). Definitely made a big improvement, knocking the web server latency down from around 25 seconds to about 5 with my SDS200, which I can live with.

Any chance of an iOS app for the Scanner over IP feature in the future?

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber

Q: Can you do a version for Mac, iPhone, iPad, Android, Blackberry, Raspberry Pi, Linux, etc.?
A: Negative. It will take several years to do each and I would rather spend the time on ProScan & RadioFeed.

belvdr

No longer interested in living
I don’t see how an RSOIP client could take years these days. VLC does the audio fine right now.

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
Many thanks for the new version (16.1). Definitely made a big improvement, knocking the web server latency down from around 25 seconds to about 5 with my SDS200, which I can live with.
You're very welcome. What Media Player are you using? Monitor that to see if the latency ever increases. The web server has an option to delay the text tags and display so everything will appear in sync.

Negative for these reasons 1) It would take years considering the virtual display & keypad graphics duplication like the server side 2) A steep learning curve. 3) Unknown audio model. 4) I have years of suggestions as it is.

VLC does the audio fine right now.
Can the latency be reduced?

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
You're very welcome. What Media Player are you using? Monitor that to see if the latency ever increases.

Safari under macOS Catalina 10.15.4.

The web server has an option to delay the text tags and display so everything will appear in sync.

OK, I'll tinker with that.

Negative for these reasons 1) It would take years considering the virtual display & keypad graphics duplication like the server side 2) A steep learning curve. 3) Unknown audio model. 4) I have years of suggestions as it is.

Nuts. :)

N9PBD

Premium Subscriber
Bob, I was wondering how much trouble would it be for you to put an option to log the Encrypted flag. Although a Uniden scanner will not normally pass encrypted talkgroup audio, it does indicate (briefly) that an encrypted talkgroup was identified. Since the squelch doesn't open, nothing is logged in the History Logging tab. I would like to be able to select logging of those hits, for statistical and other purposes. I searched this thread, and it appears that nobody else has suggested it, so I thought I would ask.

Thanks,
Greg

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
Bob, I was wondering how much trouble would it be for you to put an option to log the Encrypted flag. Although a Uniden scanner will not normally pass encrypted talkgroup audio, it does indicate (briefly) that an encrypted talkgroup was identified. Since the squelch doesn't open, nothing is logged in the History Logging tab. I would like to be able to select logging of those hits, for statistical and other purposes. I searched this thread, and it appears that nobody else has suggested it, so I thought I would ask.

Thanks,
Greg
Probably not going to do this one. Suggestions are always a higher priority when they come in initially via email. Unless it's a realy really good ideal or super simple to do. That way I can ask questions and send out test files until fixed.

N9PBD

Premium Subscriber
Probably not going to do this one. Suggestions are always a higher priority when they come in initially via email. Unless it's a realy really good ideal or super simple to do. That way I can ask questions and send out test files until fixed.

And that's what I did yesterday, and you replied to my email with, "Maybe down the road, I look at this. No guarantees."

Thanks again,
Greg