Asuka2222

Banned
Banned
Is there a way to stop people from Auto Reconnecting to the RSOIP?

I don't mind sharing my feed, but have a person that reconnects every 10 seconds and streams it 24 hours per day. That is not a human listening in my world.

Even if I disable the stream, it just bangs on my firewall trying to reconnect.

Personally the Auto reconnect is a bad option. At minimum it should stop trying after 10 attempts.

Last edited:

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
Is there a way to stop people from Auto Reconnecting to the RSOIP?

I don't mind sharing my feed, but have a person that reconnects every 10 seconds and streams it 24 hours per day. That is not a human listening in my world.

Even if I disable the stream, it just bangs on my firewall trying to reconnect.
That's the nature of sharing. If you don't want to share then don't publish your IP address or give it out.
Personally the Auto reconnect is a bad option. At minimum it should stop trying after 10 attempts.
That was a highly requested item when RSOIP was new. Some may say your ideal is bad.

{edit} You can change your IP address by powering down the router then power up after 10 minutes, 4 or 6 hours, or over night depending on your ISP.

Last edited:

Asuka2222

Banned
Banned
That was a highly requested item when RSOIP was new. Some may say your ideal is bad.

People don't have a stable Internet Connection they need a reconnect option? At least stop it after X attempts, rather than just sitting in a Loop constantly trying to reconnect.

Last time I clocked the user for 6 hours just trying to reconnect every 10 seconds before I changed the IP Tunnel.

{edit} You can change your IP address by powering down the router then power up after 10 minutes, 4 or 6 hours, or over night depending on your ISP.

That does work for me because I'm 5G CGNAT'ed, yes I can drop the IP via my tunnel, but need to do that manually.

Doesn't resolve the issue, they just come back later and do the same thing over and over.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
For those of us who connect remotely and privately to our own RSOIP server and want to keep it connected 24/7 for logging/recording purposes, it's an invaluable option.

Like Bob said, if you have an issue with someone sucking your bandwidth dry, then don't make your RSOIP public.

Asuka2222

Banned
Banned
For those of us who connect remotely and privately to our own RSOIP server and want to keep it connected 24/7 for logging/recording purposes, it's an invaluable option.

That is bad system management if you can't handle an outage.

The approach I will just bash it again and again with nothing to stop it, is not the solution.

Like Bob said, if you have an issue with someone sucking your bandwidth dry, then don't make your RSOIP public.

I have no issue with bandwidth (Unlimited) but is really someone using my feed for their own profits? Yes I get Fire Stations who tune in for hours on end, they hang up at the end of day. No issues with them doing a 8+ hour listening.

Given I'm the only person in Australia/Melbourne (AV State Wide / FRV / CFA / SES)

gillham

Feed Provider

The approach I will just bash it again and again with nothing to stop it, is not the solution.

I have no issue with bandwidth (Unlimited) but is really someone using my feed for their own profits? Yes I get Fire Stations who tune in for hours on end, they hang up at the end of day. No issues with them doing a 8+ hour listening.

Given I'm the only person in Australia/Melbourne (AV State Wide / FRV / CFA / SES)

What you're describing is a fundamental network issue, not necessarily a ProScan issue. You have an IP that's hitting your network continuously. Like you said in an earlier reply, block it at the firewall and be done with it. Yes they're getting denied over and over again (until they get a new IP), but they're not getting access to your RSOIP.

By sharing your feed with the general public, that's going to happen. Perhaps the request should be for user/pw authentication - instead of just password authentication - the burden is on you then, to manage those users.

Making a large system change to appease one user (and potentially disrupting several), isn't going to be high on the list of things to do.

Last edited:

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber

Can you block the offending IP address on your computer, firewall, phone, router, etc? Search online to find out how.

Last edited:

Asuka2222

Banned
Banned
Making a large system change to appease one user (and potentially disrupting several), isn't going to be high on the list of things to do.

It's a basic coding function. You do no not repeater bash without a time out.

Can you block the offending IP address on your computer, firewall, phone, router, etc? Search online to find out how.

Yes but they just reconnect every 10 seconds. I'm not an idiot, I would do pass you on anything networking related.

Umm call me stupid it's not a large change to stop an abusive client from trying to reconnect every 10 seconds over and over for what I've seen for 6 hours. The code does not stop it, hence the client will just bash away regardless.

That is just bad coding, full stop.

What you're describing is a fundamental network issue, not necessarily a ProScan issue.
No it's a Proscan Issue, the client is doing the reconnect.

Fails to identify there is no connection and just tries again in 10 seconds, over and over.

gillham

Feed Provider

Yes but they just reconnect every 10 seconds. I'm not an idiot, I would do pass you on anything networking related.

Umm call me stupid it's not a large change to stop an abusive client from trying to reconnect every 10 seconds over and over for what I've seen for 6 hours. The code does not stop it, hence the client will just bash away regardless.

Fails to identify there is no connection and just tries again in 10 seconds, over and over.

So from what I'm reading, you do still want the offending user to connect to your scanner feed?
And it sounds like the retries are occurring when your scanner feed is down, but the client continues to retry the connection - is that correct?
If a timeout were added client side, then it would be up to the offending user to set that up, and not retry every 0 (1, 2 whatever) seconds.
If it were server side, the client would still be hammering your ProScan server, it would just be the server denying them. I still don't see why you don't block the IP and call it a day (unless you actually want this person to continue to connect).

belvdr

No longer interested in living

I see your point and the validity of implementing an option, which a user can enable or disable by making the limit 0. This way, it is up to the user to configure how they wish. Giving users options (within reason) is a good thing.

Another option may be to add a timeout to forcefully disconnect clients after a certain period of time, so they have to reconnect.

In your case, I would block the IP at the firewall or disable RSOIP and move to a web server model, which removes the auto-reconnect feature entirely.

Asuka2222

Banned
Banned
So from what I'm reading, you do still want the offending user to connect to your scanner feed?

No

And it sounds like the retries are occurring when your scanner feed is down, but the client continues to retry the connection - is that correct?

I shutdown the feed due to abuse, who listens for 24 hours, not a human and clearly ripping my feed.

If a timeout were added client side, then it would be up to the offending user to set that up, and not retry every 0 (1, 2 whatever) seconds.
If it were server side, the client would still be hammering your ProScan server, it would just be the server denying them. I still don't see why you don't block the IP and call it a day (unless you actually want this person to continue to connect).

They can change IP address, so none of that is this point.

The client should give up after X attempts, not just sit there constantly trying to connect. You call 6 hours of attempted connections rational?

Asuka2222

Banned
Banned
@Asuka2222 You have been given the answer on how to stop the one person. It is not a software problem you have to do the samething every other website administrator does to stop a problem user BAN OR BLOCK THE IP.
Rubbish it's a software Problem, it just reconnects over and over with no time out.

Faulty coding does not exempt the main flaw.

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
Rubbish it's a software Problem, it just reconnects over and over with no time out.

Faulty coding does not exempt the main flaw.
That's by design and not a coding issue. What if the server side experiences a power outage or an internet outage lasting several hours? If the Client auto connect timed out then it wouldn't reconnect. Why don't you fix the problem by blocking the offending IP address and be done with it.

Last edited:

belvdr

That's by design and not a coding issue. What if the server side experiences a power outage or an internet outage lasting several hours? If the Client auto connect timed out then it wouldn't reconnect. Why don't you fix the problem by blocking the offending IP address and be done with it.
I was thinking this was a good option to have, but in hindsight, it would not work. It would be up to the client to configure it appropriately, so this user would disable it and have it constantly try to reconnect all the time anyway.

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
I thought you gave up. You don't have any creditability with me. I'm not going to waste my time and will be ignoring you from now on so I can focus on making ProScan even better then it is.

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
I'm wondering if Asuka2222 is related to NakedFaerie or is him. Both are from the same city and using the RSOIP feature. The two rudest people I've ever experienced.

KevinC

Other
Super Moderator
I'm wondering if Asuka2222 is related to NakedFaerie or is him. Both are from the same city and using the RSOIP feature. The two rudest people I've ever experienced.

Well, their is this...

belvdr

I thought you gave up. You don't have any creditability with me. I'm not going to waste my time and will be ignoring you from now on so I can focus on making ProScan even better then it is.
Me?