BCDx36HP Update 1.17.00

Status
Not open for further replies.

mcjones2013

Radio Communications Enthusiast
Premium Subscriber
I quoted all the pertinent posts to follow along. I was able to duplicate this in one of my systems where I have 2 Systems assigned 1 SQK.

On FL 5 System 1, I have a CAP+ system. Also on FL 5-System 1 I have a One Channel DMR system set up because...well that's how the radios are set up.

I just held System 1 and the CAP+ System and One Channel DMR system were being sampled, along with the Site(s). This mimicked what your scanner was doing in the video.

So...I was wondering if both Systems were assigned the same System number under FL 6? (FL-6 SQ 3 if I remember correctly) This is why I said it could be a programming issue.

Each system has it's own quick key in my programming. I will upload an HPE file of the favorite list later today for testing.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
Each system has it's own quick key in my programming. I will upload an HPE file of the favorite list later today for testing.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

If you're using software programming, Erase the entire scanner and allow the programming a fresh canvas. It's also possible you might have not deleted previous programming before you overwrote it.

u2brent

OAMPT
Premium Subscriber
I'm glad you brought this up. Yes. I actually saw this happening on mine. I have a K9 unit ID in my list of Radio ID's and it has an alert tone programmed to it as well.

Last night when he came on the air I couldn't understand anything he said. He went all digital as they say. The scanner locked up for a moment. I couldn't move the scanner forward by turning the dial.

Any other units talking and this didn't happen. I first noticed it yesterday after I was able to get the latest update. Other then that I haven't particularly noticed any other things.

Sent from my SM-G390W using Tapatalk
-----------------------
Uniden 436HP/VHF/UHF NMO Ground Plane Base Antenna
Anytone 6666/Sirio Tornado 27 Antenna
President Grant II/K40 Magnet Antenna
TRC-465 - Spare

Yes, Just the UID has a tone assigned, Not the TG.
It occurs on multiple system types, P25 PH1, PH2, DMR CON+, and Multiple Alert Tones,
Volume set to Auto.

Yes just as you described! it goes all digital and the conversation becomes unintelligible because of the strange alert behavior.

It's like the Alert Tone restarts several times in the beginning before finishing correctly. (Instead of playing one time) Just like a Hiccup, Hiccup, Hiccup..

It's a Uniden BCD436HP. (Two of 'em)

Last edited:

IdleMonitor

Premium Subscriber
Yes, Just the UID has a tone assigned, Not the TG.
It occurs on multiple system types, P25 PH1, PH2, DMR CON+, and Multiple Alert Tones,
Volume set to Auto.

Yes just as you described! it goes all digital and the conversation becomes unintelligible because of the strange alert behavior.

It's like the Alert Tone restarts several times in the beginning before finishing correctly. (Instead of playing one time) Just like a Hiccup, Hiccup, Hiccup..

It's a Uniden BCD436HP. (Two of 'em)
Yup. That a what I have as well. 436. So far I've only noticed it happen on 2 different RID's but on the same system.

http://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?sid=2560

Sent from my SM-G390W using Tapatalk
-----------------------
Uniden 436HP/VHF/UHF NMO Ground Plane Base Antenna
Anytone 6666/Sirio Tornado 27 Antenna
President Grant II/K40 Magnet Antenna
TRC-465 - Spare

03msc

RF is RF
Premium Subscriber
You need to ask a question here folks: IS THIS ON ONE SYSTEM? If it is, then the issues is: How is it both? Can it be both? Can a SINGLE system be an iDAS, and NexEDGE? If NOT, then why is it saying that the ONE system is both? Why would the scanner say its NexEDGE 4800 and an iDAS system?

If an NXDN system can support both formats (NexEDGE and iDAS) then that opens the door for us to look deeper into adding that flavor type to our DB formats. If not, then there IS some issue here with the firmware that needs looked at.

I am posting this under the assumption that you already know this, but...you do realize that iDAS uses NXDN correct? I suspect it is as Jon said and sees the NXDN first and then sees the iDAS and switches.

More in iDAS here, just in case: IDAS Digital Land Mobile Radio System - Features - Icom America

I do think you knew this already but just making sure...and posting for anyone else's benefit who may not.

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
Premium Subscriber
Even though iDAS and NexEDGE are both NXDN, they are not the same. Each has subtle proprietary variations unique to its Vendor. iDAS is iCOM, and NexEDGE is Kenwood. On the trunking side, this makes the format differences. Like with P25, the CAI may be the same with ALL Vendors, each TRS format is unique. An NexEDGE 4800 should only show as NX4, 9600 as NX9, and iDAS as IDS. Just as DMR is DMR.. Capacity Plus, Connect Plus, and Tier 3 all are different.

WX4JCW

Premium Subscriber
Ok
But it does display both. One and then the other
First nx4 and then ids!
Hmm

I’ve seen that as well it will give IDS then NX4 so something is up

Sent from my iPhone 8 using Tapatalk Pro
Jason WX4JCW
Unication G4, BCD536HP

vocoder

I thought i was seeing things, but watching a couple of tx the scanner displays nx4 and then ids on a conventional Nxdn.

I had read somewhere, there is a combo. So is this a unique system of the combination?

Could they use one type at one tower and then another type with another tower?

Last edited:

mcjones2013

Radio Communications Enthusiast
Premium Subscriber
If you're using software programming, Erase the entire scanner and allow the programming a fresh canvas. It's also possible you might have not deleted previous programming before you overwrote it.

Alright, I formatted the card that was in the scanner and reloaded the programming, and it is still having the same HOLD issue.

I also used a different formatted card with the programming loaded onto it, and it too is having the same issue.

I was asked earlier to upload an HPE file of the favorite list in question, it is attached. The system that is having the issue is Fisher Wireless TeamTalk. To recap, the scanner will not HOLD on the system even though it is supposed to.

The Fisher Wireless TeamTalk system is a Connect Plus system. I have multiple sites programmed in for it. When I hold on any other DMR/MOTOTRBO system, it doesn't have the issue (all of which do not have multiple sites programmed).

Attachments

• Businesses.zip
    1.6 KB · Views: 24

Voyager

How is it both? Can it be both? Can a SINGLE system be an iDAS, and NexEDGE? If NOT, then why is it saying that the ONE system is both? Why would the scanner say its NexEDGE 4800 and an iDAS system?

If an NXDN system can support both formats (NexEDGE and iDAS) then that opens the door for us to look deeper into adding that flavor type to our DB formats. If not, then there IS some issue here with the firmware that needs looked at.

I have a case where the same thing happens. The scanner is receiving a NX9 system when a stronger IDAS system beacons. Since the IDAS system is stronger, the scanner flashes that. Then it goes back to decoding the weaker NX9 system.

That case is not a bug, but a change in what is actually being decoded.

That said, since both NexEdge and IDAS are both NXDN, it's not like it's showing a completely different format. Both have similar data since both are NXDN-based.

Voyager

Try removing the tone to see if the issue resolves itself completely. And/or try a different tone.

It could also be a 'weak' decode of the UID where it loses it then starts again (hence another alert).

Voyager

Even though iDAS and NexEDGE are both NXDN, they are not the same. Each has subtle proprietary variations unique to its Vendor.

You made my point better than I did. Those subtle variations are not always decoded immediately. It's not much different than P25 falsing 67.0 Hz on a CTCSS decoder. P25 does not use CTCSS, but the endcode can false CTCSS and make it look as if the signal had CTCSS.

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
Any chance that it's a simple case of a composite control channel? If it was originally (or still is) a single frequency site, or if they administrators simply chose to make the CC share duties with voice when the system is loaded, then you've got a composite control channel. It'll show NX4 when there is no voice traffic on the CC, but when voice traffic is occurring on the CC it'll show IDS.

I've never had access to an NXDN48 system using a composite control channel, but I monitored a local NXDN96 running composite control channels for a long time.

Mike

Voyager

IDAS systems, what that is all that is received, should show IDS in either voice or control mode.

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
Premium Subscriber
Hence my saying you have to ASK that QUESTION: Is this ONE SYSTEM?

scan-pa

RRDB Admin
Database Admin
Capacity Plus is still missing a lot of the communication and there are a lot of false IDs
I can confirm that fw 1.17.0 is causing ghost tg and UID instead of the saved ones. 3 frequency cap+ uses tg 1 through 16, and 40% of the time they are ghosting to 4 or 5 digit tg numbers and the same with RIDs. 3 digit radio id's are showing up as 6 or 7 digit id's...
While showing the errouness numbers, turing the function knob either direction will bring the conversation showing back up with the correct and stored tg id and names and radio id's..
There is most definitely something batty with the dmr cap+ decode code in this fw.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
IDAS systems, what that is all that is received, should show IDS in either voice or control mode.

All I can say is that the in the Domer NXDN96 system in Ohio, composite control channels showed NXDN in DSDPlus when monitoring the control channel, and when the CC switched to voice it showed IDAS. At least it did that a year ago. That particular system now has multiple frequencies per site and I'm not sure if any of the sites are set up for composite control channel trunking any longer.

Mike

Voyager

Interesting. I wonder if DSD+ does not properly see the control channel as IDAS.

Status
Not open for further replies.