• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

New Firmware/PPS Release for G2-G5 Voice Pagers (V2.02 & V0.4.0.39)

scan18

Premium Subscriber
Scan18. try this

Factory reset pager
then download from pager.
Start all over.
I imported from radio ref , fresh start
Seems much better.

When I upgraded from 1.35 to 2.02 I just kept using same data that was in 1.35.
Maybe that was a mistake and we should start CLEAN with 2.02.

Let me know if this helps on the miss calls.
Getting pretty good success with 2.02 after following this advice. Here is what I did:
- factory reset pager
- updated firmware to 2.02
- factor reset pager again
- performed a Read Device into new profile
- loaded system into the new profile

It seems to performing just about as good as 1.33/1.35 now, will continue monitoring. Thanks for the tips!

trido

Premium Subscriber
Getting pretty good success with 2.02 after following this advice. Here is what I did:
- factory reset pager
- updated firmware to 2.02
- factor reset pager again
- performed a Read Device into new profile
- loaded system into the new profile

It seems to performing just about as good as 1.33/1.35 now, will continue monitoring. Thanks for the tips!
Great yes works better.

fire701

Feed Provider
Hello I have two G 5 pagers and thinking about buying two more. The ones I have is the DMR upgrade. Our County VFD are on a Digital Trunking Moto Turbo System LCP and 154.430 and 154.175 are the only two channels we have and is not that busy. The G 5s I have work great on P25 MISWIN here in Mississippi and all our local PD,SO,EMR, and City FD and then our MHP. MS Game and Fish are on it. But even with the DMR upgrade it will not receive MOTOTRBO. I was wondering if the new upgrade did anything to help this. Someone said a while back that with our system not being that busy it should decode it. Just checking again. If wrong Forum please cut and paste in correct one. Thanks for anyone's comments on this.

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
Hello I have two G 5 pagers and thinking about buying two more. The ones I have is the DMR upgrade. Our County VFD are on a Digital Trunking Moto Turbo System LCP and 154.430 and 154.175 are the only two channels we have and is not that busy. The G 5s I have work great on P25 MISWIN here in Mississippi and all our local PD,SO,EMR, and City FD and then our MHP. MS Game and Fish are on it. But even with the DMR upgrade it will not receive MOTOTRBO. I was wondering if the new upgrade did anything to help this. Someone said a while back that with our system not being that busy it should decode it. Just checking again. If wrong Forum please cut and paste in correct one. Thanks for anyone's comments on this.

Unication DMR does not do trunking. However, since there are only two frequencies on the Moto system you should be able to program them in as conventional DMR and set up a knob to scan them.

fire701

Feed Provider
I have tried this is anyone got any step by step instructions on programing it this way. I must have something wrong. Thanks for any help.

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
Never have updated the PPS because they said it would give trouble so it probably is now time to do that right.

The new PPS is much different and it is recommended if you do upgrade Firmware and PPS you reprogram the pager to use the new format, failure to do so may cause issues with programming using the older version, even if converted to the new format.

That said, what you need to do is enter the two frequencies in D2, then create Protocol Parameter in D3 set up one for DMR Slot 1 and another for DMR Slot 2 (see screenshot below), in an empty zone add the two frequencies twice, one with protocol for slot 1 another for slot 2, both as monitor mode, make sure you enter the correct color code. Then go to the Zone you want them in and set up a knob for normal scan and add all 4 frequencies.

2.JPG3.JPG

fire701

Feed Provider
Ok do you mean go into D and make a complete new profile or on the updated PPS I did 4.0 it is a E for editing and all the letters are E. Also my screen is different than the snap shots you sent me. Am I looking at the wrong part of program and also you do this in Conventional Frequencies right and make sure you change them to DMR. Thanks for any help.

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
Ok do you mean go into D and make a complete new profile or on the updated PPS I did 4.0 it is a E for editing and all the letters are E. Also my screen is different than the snap shots you sent me. Am I looking at the wrong part of program and also you do this in Conventional Frequencies right and make sure you change them to DMR. Thanks for any help.
On PPS V4.0 it is different, you said you were using V3 those are the instructions I gave you. If you upgraded then I'd have to look where they are, but it is the same process.

WX9EMT

Ricky Rescue
Premium Subscriber
I get the error my SN is incorrect. I enter the same SN to check my warranty and it works there. Anyone else get this issue?

ErikSwan

Premium Subscriber
Makes sense to me, more you try to listen to the less you'll hear.
This is true for a traditional scanner where the receiver has to actually tune to all the different frequencies that are in the scan list, but it’s not really true for a P25 radio where the radio is tuned to the control channel while it’s “scanning” and adding more talk groups to the “scan list” is just telling the radio which talk groups to ignore or not ignore when it sees the activity on the control channel.

In theory you should be able to add as many talk groups as you want up to the limit with no impact on missing traffic. The only times you would miss traffic are when there is simultaneous traffic on a different talkgroup (since the radio can’t tune and listen to two different traffic channels at the same time) or during the small window after a call (roughly 1 second on my P25P1 system) where the radio is still tuned to the traffic channel and waiting for it to be torn down before returning to the control channel.

Anecdotally, I’ve never missed traffic outside of the scenarios I listed above on my G5 with firmware 2.01 even though I’ve got the talk group list maxed out at 64 talkgroups.

jtwalker

Premium Subscriber
The only times you would miss traffic are when there is simultaneous traffic on a different talkgroup (since the radio can’t tune and listen to two different traffic channels at the same time) or during the small window after a call (roughly 1 second on my P25P1 system) where the radio is still tuned to the traffic channel and waiting for it to be torn down before returning to the control channel.
You just here explained exactly the point you are arguing against.