freqseeker

Hi, All after days and many attempts I still cannot get Proscan to connect in serial mode? It will connect in mass storage! I had it connect once yesterday morning and the text was all blue said it could not get sentinel cfg file for colors? At this point that is secondary to the original problem, If no one else has had this problem is it possible my sds100 is defective? I have tried everything! tia mike

I get "in use by another program" almost every time I run ProScan in serial mode. I have several instances on the same computer and they all do it. I used to change comm port to none then press set, then change back to known comm port. Doing this several times would eventually work. Now I have found when this happens I just press set (while on proper comm port) about every second until it works. Sometimes takes one press, and sometimes three to eight. I assume it's my system. Kind of a pain but it eventually works. Seems as though it's a timing issue when checking the comm port. If it's just right it will work.

Vince.

rjdj2000

Gone Cuckoo
Feed Provider
Bob,

Installed the latest version on my Win 10 machine and was all fine until some point last night with the source side. Keeps going Error Code 10 - System.Io.Ioexception unable to write data to the transport connection: an existing connection was forcibly closed by host ---> system.net.sockets.socket exception an existing connection was forsibly closed by host. So is this on my end or broadcastify end? A windows .net popup came up but I didn't catch what it said as tried to look at the details and it just closed out. Any help appreciated.

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
Bob,

Installed the latest version on my Win 10 machine and was all fine until some point last night with the source side. Keeps going Error Code 10 - System.Io.Ioexception unable to write data to the transport connection: an existing connection was forcibly closed by host ---> system.net.sockets.socket exception an existing connection was forsibly closed by host. So is this on my end or broadcastify end? A windows .net popup came up but I didn't catch what it said as tried to look at the details and it just closed out. Any help appreciated.

It could be on either end. The TCP protocol doesn't indicate where the problem is. Some people use a program called PingPlotter to isolate the problem. It could be at the near end including the ISP or the far end.

Turn the Auto Reconnect on and once the problem clears, the Source Client will reconnect.

A windows .net popup came up but I didn't catch what it said as tried to look at the details and it just closed out.
I have no ideal what that popup would be. Perhaps a windows log may shed light.

Last edited:

mandlair

@mandlair I would start fresh and determine where the problem is manifesting.

Boot up pc. Open device manager. expand Ports (Com & LPT) and take note of whats listed there. [1] While Device manager is open, turn on your scanner (usb connected) and you should see Device manager update after a few seconds and see "Uniden Serial Port (COM X)" where X is the com port number you assigned.

Proceed to open Proscan. [2] If your com port config is correct in PS, then you should not see a com in use message. If you do, then proceed to check the com settings in PS.

Click the Comm Port menu button. In the Com port settings window, click the Refresh button. [3] You should see the scanners com port now available in the drop down list of ports. Select it and click the set button.

If no other software (antivirus, HIPS or other scanner software) is blocking Proscan or using the port, your virtual display in [4] PS should light up and display what is on the scanners display.

If you have any problems with 1 thru 4 please let us know which step so we can further narrow down possible cause and resolution.
Hi, Disk4mat after all that still same problem?

mandlair

I get "in use by another program" almost every time I run ProScan in serial mode. I have several instances on the same computer and they all do it. I used to change comm port to none then press set, then change back to known comm port. Doing this several times would eventually work. Now I have found when this happens I just press set (while on proper comm port) about every second until it works. Sometimes takes one press, and sometimes three to eight. I assume it's my system. Kind of a pain but it eventually works. Seems as though it's a timing issue when checking the comm port. If it's just right it will work.

Vince.
Hi, freqseeker I have done that and doing it still no go! But at least I found another person with the same dilemma! Mine works maybe once in a few days very frustrating, to say the least, I will hopefully find the problem because I really like virtual control and logging!

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
Hi, Disk4mat after all that still same problem?

Try this:
1. Reboot the computer
2. Don't load ProScan yet.
3. Go to the Win Device Manager and see if any ports are in use.
4a. If a port is in use then find out what program has the port open.
4b. If a port is not in use then load ProScan and try to open the port. Put the scanner in Serial Port mode first.

Please report back step 3 and elaborate on your answers a little more.

Last edited:

mandlair

Try this:
1. Reboot the computer
2. Don't load ProScan yet.
3. Go to the Win Device Manager and see if any ports are in use.
4a. If a port is in use then find out what program has the port open.
4b. If a port is not in use then load ProScan and try to open the port. Put the scanner in Serial Port mode first.

Please report back step 3 and elaborate on your answers a little more.
Hi Bob no ports where showing until I plugged in it showed up as Uniden serial port (COM 3)

mandlair

Hi, Bob so it wouldn't be the scanner or cable itself, right? Since it works in mass storage mode? I only have it for about week and a half, And I think I logged for about a couple hours When it did work! Hopefully, I get it to work soon, If something is capable of doing something I like to have it working well I guess that is true with most people. thanks Mike

kruser

Premium Subscriber
Hi Bob, Says in use by another program? went back and forth between none and 3, Auto detect says the same thing!

I've been seeing this as well. I actually noticed it with ProScan 15.0 or 1 first but it was not always a consistent error so I never reported it.
I'm still not certain it's a ProScan bug or issue. I see it on a machine running Win 7 32 bit. I get weird messages when troubleshooting before I ever try to start ProScan (but not always) so this leads me to a Microsoft issue possibly from a security patch.
An example will be when I try to move a Com port from say Com 5 to Com 7, I'll get a warning that the port has been opened by another process and do I want to continue or not. It does not matter if I continue or let it stay, the port will not respond to ProScan.
The above is what I often find right after a fresh reboot and before opening any type of software that would use a com port.
I've checked to make sure some kind of Serial mouse has been installed but no signs of that so this one baffles me.
I have another Win 7 64 bit machine running with 12 instances of ProScan and I've never ever had a problem with it. So... I'm back to thinking it is a Microsoft issue or perhaps something triggered by the USB chipset used on the Lenovo Thinkcentre machine where I'm seeing this problem.

One thing I have found that helps getting ProScan working is to leave the scanner I want to control attached to the computer and in Serial Port Mode and then reboot the computer.
Many computers will reset the USB bus and the scanner will ask what mode you want but I don't touch it and let it go back to Serial mode by itself. When I do it this way, I find ProScan will then see and control the scanner just fine. Some times when doing this, I would still need to power cycle the scanner before it would connect to ProScan. I could usually tell if this was going to work or not though as ProScan would not give me the warning about the port being in use. No warning about the port in use usually means ProScan will work after restarting the scanner. I've found this with a 436HP and an SDS100.

So... you may try leaving the scanner connected to a USB port and in Serial mode when you try to restart the computer and then see if ProScan will see the scanner. If you see the scanner prompting you for Serial or Mass storage modes while the computer is booting, it seems to work if you go ahead and hit ./No or just let the scanner timeout into Serial mode.

rjdj2000

Gone Cuckoo
Feed Provider
It could be on either end. The TCP protocol doesn't indicate where the problem is. Some people use a program called PingPlotter to isolate the problem. It could be at the near end including the ISP or the far end.

Turn the Auto Reconnect on and once the problem clears, the Source Client will reconnect.

I have no ideal what that popup would be. Perhaps a windows log may shed light.

Bob Here is what was in windows log:

Faulting application name: ProScan.exe, version: 15.2.0.0, time stamp: 0x5d501dff
Faulting module name: KERNEL32.dll, version: 6.2.17763.475, time stamp: 0xc5cd3ddc
Exception code: 0xc0000005

- System

- Provider

[ Name] Application Error

- EventID 1000

[ Qualifiers] 0

Level 2

Task 100

Keywords 0x80000000000000

- TimeCreated

[ SystemTime] 2019-08-12T17:13:01.766162100Z

EventRecordID 1971

Channel Application

Computer DESKTOP-EMRICNH

Security

- EventData

ProScan.exe
5d501dff
KERNEL32.dll
c5cd3ddc
c0000005
0001fbeb

Here is a screenshot of ping plotter. The delays are farther out, but this was ran right after restarting ProScan also, not when it quit connecting on source side as it did it again about 25 minutes ago. I will have to try ping plotter when it is doing it to see what is up. Have never seen the error like it has this time around. Ran for days at a time with no issues and Saturday the audio was a garbled on the feed so restarted it while on vacation and that cleared up then got the other error when I posted this morning.

da2ricky

One oddity I've noticed in 15.2 Preview 1:

If I leave ProScan's Recorder screen open for a long period of time without minimizing, my file names start displaying wrong. Sometime it'll show the wrong file name, sometimes it shows the TGID as the filename, and the duration gets populated with a string of numbers rather than 00:00:00 format.

With that said, I can minimize, then restore the window and everything goes back to normal. I should also mention that the recorded files are saved with the proper filename and I have no issues with the actual recording/playback.

-----------------------

I see people having COM port issues and I too have noticed that when I reboot my system, I always have to unplug the USB cable from the scanner, let windows re-discover, then manually set the port again in ProScan. I rarely reboot so it's not a major issue for me. This issue was present in the last version for me also.

Upon a successful reboot, my scanner is detected in device manager on the correct COM port, but ProScan doesn't see it until I unplug/replug and set the port again.

Other than that, no issues and I use the web server heavily.

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
One oddity I've noticed in 15.2 Preview 1:

If I leave ProScan's Recorder screen open for a long period of time without minimizing, my file names start displaying wrong. Sometime it'll show the wrong file name, sometimes it shows the TGID as the filename, and the duration gets populated with a string of numbers rather than 00:00:00 format.

With that said, I can minimize, then restore the window and everything goes back to normal. I should also mention that the recorded files are saved with the proper filename and I have no issues with the actual recording/playback.

-----------------------

I see people having COM port issues and I too have noticed that when I reboot my system, I always have to unplug the USB cable from the scanner, let windows re-discover, then manually set the port again in ProScan. I rarely reboot so it's not a major issue for me. This issue was present in the last version for me also.

Upon a successful reboot, my scanner is detected in device manager on the correct COM port, but ProScan doesn't see it until I unplug/replug and set the port again.

Other than that, no issues and I use the web server heavily.

That is a different type of comm port issue. If the computer reboots then the only way to restore the comms is power cycling the scanner or reinserting the USB cable. That is a problem between the driver and scanner.

On the recording bug, the absolute best way to get it fixed is by emailing me so you could be involved in the testing and I can send out test files until fixed. Best I can do on web reports is offer that it will be fixed by the next version.

Disk4mat

Hi Bob, Says in use by another program? went back and forth between none and 3, Auto detect says the same thing!
In device manager set the Uniden com port to anything other than 1 or 3... Try 7, 8 or 9. You want to choose a com port not reserved by the system . Or one that has not been previously assigned to another application/device.

Disk4mat

On the bottom of the comm port screen in Proscan, Says port closed baud rate 115200? Auto detect is saying in use?
The only circumstance where I can reproduce the "port closed" text in the status bar is if the scanner is turned off or the cable is unplugged. My scanner is off right now. I fired up Proscan and port in use message appeared and port closed appears in the status bar. So yeah like I said.

Since you can see the com port appear in device manager when the scanner is plugged in we can rule out the cable.

Only thing left I can think of is a setting on the scanner (mass storage mode). Or the absence of a windows driver. In device manager do you see any items listed with an exclamation? Particularly under the USB devices section?

mandlair

No, driving me crazy and Iknow it is something dumb! I checked usb port with my portable epson scanner recognized and copy no problem, So I'm thinking something in scanner not quite right like the way it is trying to communicate?