SDS100/SDS200 Open Beta 1.09.01 for Crackling Noise

Status
Not open for further replies.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
This update is specifically for the lingering crackling noise w/CTCSS issue, but anyone is welcome to check it out. Very possible that I'll roll this into a public release next week, if things look good this weekend.

That is the only issue addressed.

To apply, download and unzip http://info.uniden.com/twiki/pub/partnerweb/SDS200_Beta/SDSx00_V1_09_01.zip.

Then, copy the appropriate payload file (based on model name) to your scanner's firmware directory, and reboot the scanner.

WX4JCW

Crackle is gone, in fact 0 Squelch tail on Analog VHF, reception on VHF improved a lot

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Reactions: RRR

mswells

WB6JLB
Feed Provider
I loaded the bin file into the firmware directory, then turned off, and then back on, but firmware is not being applied.

ansky

Crackle is gone, in fact 0 Squelch tail on Analog VHF, reception on VHF improved a lot

Have you noticed any improvement to the UHF intermod? I have tried every filter on my SDS200 and none of them have any affect on intermod in the 470-480 range.

mule1075

Feed Provider
Have you noticed any improvement to the UHF intermod? I have tried every filter on my SDS200 and none of them have any affect on intermod in the 470-480 range.
Reread the release notes. Only one thing was addressed in this update. And it had nothing to do with filters or intermod that being said the wide normal filter with IFX set to on the channels I was having trouble with cured 95% of the problem for me.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
We never got additional information from you on what you reported. Based on what we could see from that very large log file, it looks like there might be some source of interference that affects the SDS100 or the signal is just too marginal. Keep in mind that the SDSx00 uses a completely different receiver design than any other scanner (all other scanners use superheterodyne receivers, SDSx00 uses an I/Q type receiver). Different designs are going work differently, and especially when the signal is weak, one will work better than the other. In your case, it seems BCDx36HP will work better.

I cannot 100% rule out a bug, but it would be very odd that it only affects you and no other user. Of course, could confirm not a bug also by moving closer to the system and seeing if reception improves.

mswells

WB6JLB
Feed Provider
Tried copying the file to firmware folder, and then unplugged usb cable....but still cant get the firmware to load.

CQ

The compressed file contains firmware for the 100 and 200...make sure you use the correct one.

sallen07

Premium Subscriber
Tried copying the file to firmware folder, and then unplugged usb cable....but still cant get the firmware to load.

Did you use Windows to "eject" the drive before you unplugged the cable (or power-cycled the scanner)? And I think for an SDS100 you have to power cycle it, or at least that has always worked for me.

mswells

WB6JLB
Feed Provider
I followed these steps:
1 Unzip the file
#2 Copy the SDS100 file to the SDS100 or the SDS200 file to the SDS200 scanner firmware folder. SDS200_V1_09_01.bin
#3 After the file is done remove the USB cable
#4 The scanner will load the new firmware.
#5 You are done.

Still no go. My firmware version is Main 1.08.05 Sub 1.02.01

mule1075

Feed Provider
I followed these steps:
1 Unzip the file
#2 Copy the SDS100 file to the SDS100 or the SDS200 file to the SDS200 scanner firmware folder. SDS200_V1_09_01.bin
#3 After the file is done remove the USB cable
#4 The scanner will load the new firmware.
#5 You are done.

Still no go. My firmware version is Main 1.08.05 Sub 1.02.01
Reformat the SD card it might be corrupted.

WX4JCW

You need to apply the 1.0.9 first this update only has the main firmware not the sub

VE2ZPS

Premium Subscriber
We never got additional information from you on what you reported. Based on what we could see from that very large log file, it looks like there might be some source of interference that affects the SDS100 or the signal is just too marginal. Keep in mind that the SDSx00 uses a completely different receiver design than any other scanner (all other scanners use superheterodyne receivers, SDSx00 uses an I/Q type receiver). Different designs are going work differently, and especially when the signal is weak, one will work better than the other. In your case, it seems BCDx36HP will work better.

I cannot 100% rule out a bug, but it would be very odd that it only affects you and no other user. Of course, could confirm not a bug also by moving closer to the system and seeing if reception improves.

Hi Upman,
Mrscanner2008 is not the only one affected; you've seen my comments, logs and videos on the other thread.
I monitor close to 40 fire departments that are using One Frequency (both DMR and NXDN) and the SDS100 and SDS200 are highly deficients vs the 436/536 for these systems. I tought you would have taken this problem seriously but considering that its not a problem for you (i.e. either caused by interference or weak signal), I have decided to get rid of my SDS100 and SDS200 and revert to my two BCD536 and 436.
I can trust and rely on my 436/536 for One Frequency operation which is absolutely not the case with the SDS100 and SDS200
I was probably in the first 2-3 to have a SDS-200 in Canada and I was so proud (at that time)

It doesn't make sense that my SDS100-200 are picking up less than 50% of the One Frequency transmissions I get with my 436/536
(when they pickup anything at all).

I have been a loyal Uniden owner from the very beginning but I dont want these radio anymore.
A nice display is not enough; I bought them for the audio and I dont want to waste my time playing with filter options.

With all my respect,

Status
Not open for further replies.