2017-Starcom21 Thread Sites/Talkgroups

Status
Not open for further replies.

W9WSS

Retired LEO
Premium Subscriber
Quote:
I am hearing the CW identifier on 857.4875 MHz which was Wheeling PD's F1 repeater. Other than that, no voice traffic on that frequency or the F3 repeater (859.2375 MHz). The whole transition to Starcom by Wheeling is kind of bittersweet for me. I was involved in the planning and construction of the 800 system and in fact put out the first call on the new system when it became active and the transition was made from 470.7625 MHz which Wheeling shared with Northbrook PD. At the time, if I recall correctly, only District 15, Gurnee and Rolling Meadows were on 800 MHz. Wheeling's system did have some talk-out power - we were running 75 watt base stations into Bogner 10dB gain antennas from 130 foot water towers. There were two transmitter sites - one at Milwaukee and Dundee and the other at Milwaukee and Lake-Cook. For whatever reason, the Milwaukee-Dundee site reached out further. Ahhhh, the memories.

Tom, as you recall, When I worked for Woodridge PD, we put our conventional 800 MHz Spectra-Tac systems on the air at about the same time. "Our" current F1 (856.4625 PL 103.5) is STILL on the air, however, being used by Public Works. I don't know how many of the receive sites are still active, but AFAIK, the transmitter is still at the 2nd location, which was moved about 15 years after the initial F1 system was installed. I've heard NOTHING on old F2 (857.4625 PL 103.5) as both freqs are still in all my scanners.

I retired 10.5 years ago from the agency, and the system was given the responsibility of a civilian communications supervisor who had little to no technical knowledge of any of the infrastructures. The system was used when the agency switched dispatch over to DU-COMM several years ago, and since, they have gone to Starcom 21 but share a network with Lisle and Darien PD's. It was nice to be on our own private channels (F1 & F2) for many years.

RoninJoliet

Premium Subscriber
Daw gone "Will" 10.5 years your getting old...lol.....Anyway, those were the good listening years, Joliet had there 800 freqys and they worked great, now there "kaa-put "ENC", how sad.....

W9WSS

Retired LEO
Premium Subscriber
Daw gone "Will" 10.5 years your getting old...lol.....Anyway, those were the good listening years, Joliet had there 800 freqys and they worked great, now there "kaa-put "ENC", how sad.....

Ron, so sorry about so many systems being ENC to what you normally used to monitor. Only thing around here ENC are a few DU-COMM surveillance, drug, and gang specialty talk groups. We've been informed when they go TDMA phase 2, they won't ENC normal dispatch talk groups, just the same ones as described above, rightfully so.

N9JIG

Sheriff
I am hearing the CW identifier on 857.4875 MHz which was Wheeling PD's F1 repeater. Other than that, no voice traffic on that frequency or the F3 repeater (859.2375 MHz). The whole transition to Starcom by Wheeling is kind of bittersweet for me. I was involved in the planning and construction of the 800 system and in fact put out the first call on the new system when it became active and the transition was made from 470.7625 MHz which Wheeling shared with Northbrook PD. At the time, if I recall correctly, only District 15, Gurnee and Rolling Meadows were on 800 MHz. Wheeling's system did have some talk-out power - we were running 75 watt base stations into Bogner 10dB gain antennas from 130 foot water towers. There were two transmitter sites - one at Milwaukee and Dundee and the other at Milwaukee and Lake-Cook. For whatever reason, the Milwaukee-Dundee site reached out further. Ahhhh, the memories.

I recall being bummed when Wheeling went to UHF in the 70's, I grew up listening to them (and half the planet) on 155.130. They used to go to the "night channel", in actuality the PW channel of 155.760, after hours and weekends. When they switched to 470.7625 my scanner, being only VHF, couldn't hear it and the Plectron they gave my dad (a former WPD officer then on the BFPC) only had the day channel. Eventually I was able to get a Midland scanner and a Crystal from Mykroy and hear the UHF channel.

Fast forward a few years later when they switched to 800, another bummer since I didn't have an 800 MHz. scanner, neither did anyone else yet. Soon I was able to get a converter from the old FCC Electronics store in Hoffman Estates and a few years later an 800 MHz. scanner.

Now that I live 1800 miles away the situation is moot but it will be hard to know that I can no longer hear the town I grew up in when I am back there...

RoninJoliet

Premium Subscriber
That's all correct Rich, every thing progressed for us eventually as Joliet went to 800 I bought a converter also....Now there all joining Starcom , Wescom and all the little towns around Joliet...At least some will stay in the open on Wescom but like the "low band" there are many VHF freqys that will now be vacant here...On my RS/GRE scanners with all the "V-Folders" I have to keep reviewing them as every day there getting "out of date" ....I hope you and the wife are enjoying your new life 1800 miles away....

Huntley TG #34113 Heard

Heard Huntley putting the the new TG #34113 "Events Channel" to good use tonight off of the McHenry tower, for Traffic Control for the Fireworks at Deicke park. Didn't hear it off the Kane tower site.

In a way, all those spare TG's allocated may come in handy after all. Before this change, we had 2 towns trying to share 2 frequencies. With the mysterious late night co-channel RF interference on their old main channel from Lake Forest, IL and the "digital ducting" hash on hot humid nights from elsewhere heard, they got a better setup now (RF wise) with Starcom21. I'll grudgingly give it an okay.

kevino

Database Administrator
Database Admin
STARCOM21 Talkgroup 5634

Does anyone have any notes for STARCOM21 TG 5634? A couple of 458xxx RIDs were logged on this TG via PRO96Com in May in from the Bloomington area. Nothing listed on the Radio Reference STARCOM21 database page, and I recently added the TG to the list of mystery SC21 TGs here IL-STARCOM21-Talkgroups - The RadioReference Wiki . BTW, this is the same RID range as reported for the "FW" units (IL Dept. of Conservation Police?) recently heard talking to ISP dispatchers downstate.

Thanks in advance....

Starcom TGs #34131, #34102, #34110 #3631 heard

Lake In The Hills using TG #34131 today as LITH PD Local Channel #4 (already in database) for the Ribfest, a few blocks from me.

Also heard TG #34110 around 2320 hrs used for a Car 2 Car call as they were leaving the Ribfest, so I would guess? it will be a LITH Car 2 Car.

Also caught TG #34102 (New) chatter from SeeCom fire this afternoon. Couldn't tell whose department. Only heard one call past 1400 hrs.

Caught TG #3631 chatter this evening as an EMS call about "Rock County Fire" and "the helipad will be ready for your arrival." But that's Beloit Wisconsin.

Last edited:
TG #34102 Cary/MCC Testing

Heard TG #34102 comms today. Phase One, clear. About 1400 hrs chatter about a 10-46 car on Route #14 near the college. (McHenry) The officer asked them to send a Crystal Lake unit. Then a suspicious car around 1700, going down Tartan Dr. Dispatch asked if he was in the Office. The (Lincoln unit) said that he would come back and watch the security video at his desk. Notice the word "Office" is used not "station." I had the other scanner parked on TG #34103 LITH/Huntley PD Dispatch and did Not hear the same comms at that time, so it wasn't LITH dispatch. Lakewood is possible.

Then many "Seecom Cary Radio Checks on Starcom 02" all evening today from 1800hrs.

Awesomeman92

Premium Subscriber
Running Unitrunker on sites 210, 211, 224, and 225. All are showing Phase II capable except 224. Haven't seen any actual P2 traffic but will keep an eye on it through next week. Was reported that Hancock County was testing SC21, will keep an eye out for testing on these sites as well.

jpm

Heard TG #34102 comms today. Phase One, clear. About 1400 hrs chatter about a 10-46 car on Route #14 near the college. (McHenry) The officer asked them to send a Crystal Lake unit. Then a suspicious car around 1700, going down Tartan Dr. Dispatch asked if he was in the Office. The (Lincoln unit) said that he would come back and watch the security video at his desk. Notice the word "Office" is used not "station." I had the other scanner parked on TG #34103 LITH/Huntley PD Dispatch and did Not hear the same comms at that time, so it wasn't LITH dispatch. Lakewood is possible.

Then many "Seecom Cary Radio Checks on Starcom 02" all evening today from 1800hrs.

34102 is Cary PD dispatch. Heard two calls looked up on the map and clearly showing locations to be within the Cary city limits. Add to the McHenry county non-secured police channel. Sounds like SEECOM dispatch center.

N9JIG

Sheriff
Just copy and paste it into the submission form. If that won't work you can email or PM it to me or another Admin.

jpm

Common sense would tell one they Cary opted out the secured stuff. Alot of people don't have common sense and they comment on stuff. McHenry county is secured and towns changed the secured talk groups to unsecured talk groups. Did you follow Johansburg amd McHenry cities changing the secured ID to unsecured ID. They obviously opted out the secured channels my common sense tells of this. Oh I have common sense.Looking at he secured ID of 1127 which was secured and changed to 3451 which is not secured telling one they opted out of the secured channel as well as Cary Lake In The Hills and Huntley Harvard etc etc Common sense my friend.

Status
Not open for further replies.