SDS100/SDS200: SDS100 Firmware 1.03.01 Public Release

Status
Not open for further replies.

kikito

Premium Subscriber
That by itself doesn't mean squat, if the additional signal power is noise or adjacent channel interference. What kind of noise readings are you getting for FM vs NFM?

That’s true it doesn’t mean squat by itself but as they say: “the proof is in the pudding” and changing from NFM to FM has done the most difference of all the small changes I’ve made recently in hopes of resolving or improving on the one issue some of us have where the radio seems to not switch to a voice frequency or skip it altogether, especially when scanning multiple sites and other things.

-Several firmware revisions have help some.
-Using IFX did not help.
-Attenuator did not help.
-Programming the NAC for each site (instead of leaving it on default of Search) helped a little.
-Changing from NFM to FM has helped the most in MY case. And there’s a post from ‘sibbley’ here that confirmed he’s also seeing some improvements. But again, it might not help everybody but hopefully it might give Uniden some more ideas?...

At this time and the latest firmware, the SDS100 trunk-tracks solidly on our Phase 1 P25 system when Holding on a talkgroup or even Holding on just one site. But the problem where it seems to randomly skip some transmissions *in progress* on some sites when scanning multiple other things, still there to a lesser degree. Until now when I switched to FM and it seems MUCH better even though I’m still testing and judging.

W4KRR

Premium Subscriber
That’s true it doesn’t mean squat by itself but as they say: “the proof is in the pudding” and changing from NFM to FM has done the most difference of all the small changes I’ve made recently in hopes of resolving or improving on the one issue some of us have where the radio seems to not switch to a voice frequency or skip it altogether, especially when scanning multiple sites and other things.
There doesn't appear to be an option to change the mode to FM on P25 systems.

sibbley

Premium Subscriber

Correct. If you imported from Sentinel it should be by default set to auto. You can change the band defaults to FM. Modulation for sites can be changed using Arc536. I haven't tried this on the SDS, however, on the x36 you can open the favorites list on the SD card and make the change from NFM to FM. It may work on the SDS too.

n1chu

Premium Subscriber
I will also agree that it’s nice to have a choice when telling time... with one condition... if there is no room to add the second method of telling time, then, no. It would be at the expense of something else needing to be removed. We only need one way of telling time. Take a vote, draw straws, I don’t care, Those who don’t get their favored way, sorry.

Ideally in a perfect world we would have both. And I wonder, does anyone know what method the trains use? I believe they started all this when they realized trains needed to adhere to a strict timetable, otherwise there would be trains running into each other!

diskmonger

And now that people are coming out saying even the latest firmware didn't change their similar issues? Defective equipment I'm sure, or maybe, "interference" (that other devices aren't affected by).

Anyway, my primary "issue", is that I can take the SDS100 wherever I want, and set it next to a G4, and can then show anyone that the G4 will pull in simulcast system after simulcast system after simulcast system for quite some distance, while the SDS won't pick up any distant simulcast systems, usually nothing outside of what it is sitting in simulcast-wise. Oh wait, no, maybe my main "issue" was the fact that with the SDS100 I can't even listen to my own police department, while sitting in my own home, in that city...yeah, that's probably my main "issue" on second thought (the G4 gets Simulcast G of the RWC at four bars in my house). The fact that the SDS100 is inferior to the 436 on the ancient smartzone system that MCSO uses doesn't help matters (interference again, I'm sure).

But have no fear, firmware will fix everything, just be patient right? Sure. OK, maybe that's the case, I'll grant the possibility. Maybe I was impatient, but my trusted gut instinct says....not so. I still see people posting new youtube vids with the same problem of not switching from CC to talk frequency...with the latest firmware installed. But I'm sure another firmware release or two will fix that as well right? Or maybe that's just "interference" that needs to be found and eliminated so that the SDS can do what the 436 and the G4 already do just fine in the same locations?

Oh wait, sorry, I forgot, it's "not fair" to compare the SDS100 to the G4, either...

I'm glad the SDS works well for some, and I believe them, YMMV with these things. But some obviously are seeing what I'm seeing. Maybe we are a minority, then great, so be it. But there are reported issues, and some seriously doubt that firmware will fix them, while others have tried the latest firmware, and it didn't fix those issues. I also believe these people as well.

Oh, and you didn't belittle anyone, so no worries.

This might be the most intelligent post I've seen on RR.

ak6dx

scannerhead

Changing modulation

You can easily change the active trunked system modulation by pressing the Channel soft-key to hold on a talk group, then press the side Function button... the right soft key has now changed from Channel to Mod (modulation) quickly press it as many times as needed to switch to the desired modulation, FM, NFM, Auto, etc.

(This would also apply to conventional channels.)

Last edited:

mkt853

“CT State PD SZ System-”

What is this System? I live in Ct. so I wondered if I had missed something...

It’s the old 800 MHz CSP system still in use in the eastern half of the state and by DEEP and MTA PD. If you monitor this system you may not have noticed any changes because the CSP users that have moved onto the 700 MHz CSERN system still have their transmissions repeated on the 800 MHz system.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
I believe that I have noticed fewer missed comms on p25 and Mot SZ trunked systems when compared to a 436 and APX. The decode is still very delayed, so the first part (sometimes up to 1/2 of a transmission is clipped.

CT State PD SZ system-

Still missed comms and clipped messages. 436 locked and decoded every time

CT P25 system-

Same as above, 436 and APX performed way better and with higher reliability.

P25 Conventional-

SDS seemed to work well when holding on a channel. When scanning it doesn't seem to pick much up. It is almost like the receiver takes too long to change to and start receiving the frequency that the software is telling it too. This could explain the missed comms when scanning but not held on conventional, and also why it is missing messages when it switches from a control channel to a voice channel.

I have attached logs that are labeled as Mot 4.1, Mot 7.x P25, p25 Conv, and general scanning of all types of systems. I am confident that it didn't make it worse, but it's questionable if it is better.

Click the link to download the debug files:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/12mXudHV9YPZ1ZSOl8gz-Ay3R3sV8fmgJ/view?usp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1QLO-yQ8sT-9JP3VKgP_jMvQX5RHJfpwb/view?usp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1lPn8oEgB3G_Eph9l1-O99bKLNQmsOWOr/view?usp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1r_CT7cdPxNRs42Gz8zy42RIeKNG_ekCE/view?usp=sharing

According to the logs,

Mot 4.1 SZ: SDS100 often loses the control channel. Is there any interference at that 853.3125 MHz?

Mot 7.x P25: That control channel 774.58125 MHz is good quality, but that voice channels 769.65625 MHz and 770.95625 MHz have many errors.

If there is a possibility that only certain channels are affected by some kind of interference, try one or more the below.

ATT
IFX
NAC (P25)

firemantom26

Premium Subscriber
With the new Unit ID Name feature, can you now set the display with larger text for:

SYSTEM
TALKGROUP
UNIT ID NAME

If so, can someone post up a screenshot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

With the this new feature does it make the unit larger or just to be able to handle more characters....

Bolt21

Spark Chariot Driver
EDACS performance still not up to BCD436HP standards. Missing comms and chopping transmissions.

Attachments

• log3994683.txt
    57.2 KB · Views: 13
  • log4044300.zip
    80.1 KB · Views: 4

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
Wereinshades: Regarding your post in the beta thread:
1. P25 systems holding on site with good signal.

Link to system: https://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?siteId=10872

Issue: Not previously reported.

Noticed I was missing short replies. Held System, Trunk Detail to confirm. At times when either a dispatcher or mobile unit replies (usually short) and scanner switches to new frequency, entire reply is missed.

Example: "Unit 1 to dispatch" (frequency switches) no reply heard.."Unit 1 is 10-8".."Dispatch to Unit 1 10-4". It would appear the the short reply voice is not being processed quick enough despite the scanner follows the conversation to the proper frequency.

**This was noticed after the first beta firmware, but was trying to see if it was user issues or maybe I was just missing it. I reverted back to the 1.02.03 firmware and here were my results:

Most of today I was using 1.02.03 and short replies were being heard again. I decided to run a second debug file in Detail Trunk mode for comparison. The first thing that caught my attention was the RSSI value seemed to improve about 5-10 db's. I watched the frequencies carefully as the conversations ended to confirm what I was now hearing. Short replies (10-4's/ok etc.) were being followed as I suspected.

My debug files were submitted to Jason Houk via his google drive because they were too large to submit on the thread and he will forward them as he has done for me in the past...thanks Jason!
According to the logs, the scanner seems to scan following TGIDs almost perfectly in 1.02.05b.
On the other hand, it occasionally misses voice transmission in 1.02.03.

It seems to be behavior of ID Scan mode for above TGIDs, not ID Search.
The channel delay time may be 3 seconds.

If so, that is normal.
If not, it seems to be intentionally restricted by something.

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
Wereinshades: Regarding your post in the beta thread:

According to the logs, the scanner seems to scan following TGIDs almost perfectly in 1.02.05b.
On the other hand, it occasionally misses voice transmission in 1.02.03.

It seems to be behavior of ID Scan mode for above TGIDs, not ID Search.
The channel delay time may be 3 seconds.

If so, that is normal.
If not, it seems to be intentionally restricted by something.

I am now back to 1.03.01 and have tried the suggestion of using FM for the mode and will try this out.. Had it on a road trip today and still working much better than any previous handheld I've owned.

W4KRR

Premium Subscriber
I notice on P25 Phase 2 systems, it seems to pick up phase 1 talkgroups faster and easier than phase 2 talkgroups. Sometimes it seems that phase 2 talkgroups are almost ignored. (FW 1.03.01)

jasonhouk

Another Bug has been submitted as 1.03.01 seems to have broken serial commands. I downgraded to 1.02.03 and ProScan and RH (remote head) work properly.

Houk

N6ML

Exact same problem here except with EBRCS in the San Francisco Bay Area, 1.03.01 made my SDS100 deaf. Went back 2.05b and so far this is my favorite firmware to date.

https://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?sid=5317

FWIW, 1.03.01 didn't make mine deaf on EBRCS. I have been getting choppy audio occasionally, but I can't say that that's not just due to conditions. I'm usually in East Contra Costa, but I drove around Concord over the weekend, and it did OK (on Central simulcast) with the stock antenna inside the truck. Still no comparison to the Unication G5 as far as weak signal reception reception, but that doesn't seem to have changed with the firmware updates.

Status
Not open for further replies.