SDS100/SDS200: SDS100 Firmware 1.03.03M/1.01.05S Open Beta

Status
Not open for further replies.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
I hit Update / Update Firmware and sentinel program says, "this version of the scanner is the current version. When I check the INFO tab is says Firmware 1.03.01. checking settings in the scanner, it too list firmware as 1.03.01. tried this several times with the same results. any sugestions ?

Follow the instructions in post #1 of this thread. Beta firmware releases don't load automatically through Sentinel.

sibbley

Premium Subscriber
Back to the latest public release this morning. I'm hearing more on DMR and NXDN OFT systems. Also latest public release seems to scan OFT systems faster. Maybe it's my imagination?

N9JIG

Sheriff
I hit Update / Update Firmware and sentinel program says, "this version of the scanner is the current version. When I check the INFO tab is says Firmware 1.03.01. checking settings in the scanner, it too list firmware as 1.03.01. tried this several times with the same results. any sugestions ?

This is not a Sentinel firmware release, you need to manually download it and copy it to your radio. Sentinel is properly reporting that you have the latest PUBLIC release.

Download the files from the link on the original post, unzip the files and use Windows Explorer to copy the 2 files directly to the Firmware folder on the SDS's SD Card.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
1. At what signal level in dBm displayed would we be expected to have choppy receive due to lack of strong signal?? What is considered the lower level threshold for signal drop out?

That's going to depend on the noise level. Reception is based on signal-to-noise ratio, so while the receiver noise level creates a hard minimum signal level for reception under ideal conditions, but the minimum usable real-world signal may be significantly higher due to atmospheric noise, RFI, or other interference.

I generally see good digital decode if the signal is above -100dBm, but under the right conditions I've gotten good reception from -110dBm. It depends.

4. FM Broadcast band still has issues. While it appears that maybe the IF bandwidth for FM Broadcast may have been improved in some of the newer firmware releases, I still have some of the stations drop out then come back in.

I can confirm this is still an issue. Debug log is here:
https://1drv.ms/t/s!ApJIS-l4xqPtgvkH_vlyNgp16WWHog

Curiously enough, the scanner lost GPS connection again when I turned on debug logging. The GPS icon disappeared, and the lat/lon text boxes showed "No GPS". This only seems to happen when I enable debug logging, and going into the GPS serial port config menu and re-selecting 9600 (the baud rate used by the GPS I have) fixes the problem. Something about debug logging is borking the GPS setting, even though the menu shows 9600 highlighted when I go in to reset it.

mike1988

Premium Subscriber
When you say the noise level can that determine the reception I get? I'm new to these kind of scanners. What does the noise level mean where should the noise level be at the get the best reception? I have the remtronix 800.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sibbley

Premium Subscriber
When you say the noise level can that determine the reception I get? I'm new to these kind of scanners. What does the noise level mean where should the noise level be at the get the best reception? I have the remtronix 800.

The lower the noise level the better the decode. So you want the noise level as low as it can get. With an outdoor antenna my noise level can get as low as 200-400. on the remtronix 800 I can see as low as 300-500. Sometimes lower, depending on where the scanner is placed. Weak signals may show noise levels in the thousands.

Of course, this also depends on RF in the area. Where I work there are some large electric motors that create RF. I can get noise levels usually between 300-800 and still get good decode/receive.

mike1988

Premium Subscriber
The lower the noise level the better the decode. So you want the noise level as low as it can get. With an outdoor antenna my noise level can get as low as 200-400. on the remtronix 800 I can see as low as 300-500. Sometimes lower, depending on where the scanner is placed. Weak signals may show noise levels in the thousands.

Of course, this also depends on RF in the area. Where I work there are some large electric motors that create RF. I can get noise levels usually between 300-800 and still get good decode/receive.

Oh ok. Thank you very much. What antenna do you use?

WoodburyMan

Played with the update this morning.
P25 for Connecticut State Police (CSP) trucked system seems to be working better. Less cutoffs and seem to be getting fuller conversations. This was a quick 30 minute test driving into work. If I have time I can check more with logs but it does seem to be an improvement.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
The latest firmware update has rendered my SDS100 100% useless. Instead of occasionally receiving traffic, the radio is now completely deaf, even though it shows 5 full bars of signal and a consistent -35dBm signal strength.

This is RADIOWIDE. Doesn't matter if it is the EDACS/ProVoice system, the Type 1 P25 800 system AND VHF..... I tuned to the local National Weather Service and it too shows 5 bars and -35dBm, however all the receiver plays is a rythmic kerchunking.

What now? Return to vendor?

Uniden? UPMan, what sayeth you?

~S~

and

Installed the new beta files last night. Had the scanner monitoring the Phoenix RWC all day and the scanner NEVER opened squelch. I'll be rolling back to the previous version, where I was at least getting 50% of transmissions. I'm afraid this newest beta is a swing and a miss for me.

Are the [FONT=&quot]site NAC entries correct?[/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Please copy that system to favorite list and set that site NAC to Search, and try again.[/FONT]

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
On a MotoTRBO trunk (CON+) system I'm not seeing the LED activate with any consistency. Sometimes it works but most of the time I don't see any blinky LED. I have two TGIDs set up for RED/Fast blinky and it rarely comes on.

System monitored: https://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?sid=7571

(I don't use RR DB in my SDS100)

TGID channel alert does not activate during hang time (DAT displaying).

KN4DTV

Premium Subscriber
Virginia State Police

I installed the firmware as indicated and I am still having trouble with the VSP, notably the Appomattox 1 channel. The voice is still choppy, I see that it is an APCO - 25 Common Air Interface Exclusive system. Does that differ from a P25? If it does please excuse my ignorance, I am still learning the ins and outs of scanning.

https://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?sid=3783

Above is the link to the VSP page.

Thanks for your help.

Scott

rcool101

Feed Provider
I will not do a beta firmware anymore...Tired of pulling card out and reformatting and clear user data..I've pulled this card out more than any other cards combined..No more

KF9L

Premium Subscriber
I was going to say the same thing I have updated and downgraded my firmware and have not had to change any user data even if I had to just save the file and reload it into the radio. There is no need to remove the card use the USB cable provided with the scanner. You're making it so much harder than it is

Status
Not open for further replies.